Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In English, my class has been reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. We finished it, so today we had a socratic seminar about the book. Someone asked the question, "Whose style of parenting do you prefer: Atticus' or Aunt Alexandra's?"
In case you don't know, Atticus' style is more hands-off, respectful, and unorthodox.
Aunt Alexandra is more traditional, "girls should be girls" and such.
Scout is Atticus' kid and the main character in the story. She's very tomboyish, refuses to wear dresses, etc.
This girl answered, "Well, I think that Aunt Alexandra's style is better, because Scout has to become a girl at some point, because it isn't right. She can't just go on being a tomboy forever."
Now, To Kill a Mockingbird is a book about racism and social inequality. What I don't get about the girl's statement was that it was so sexist, when the book was about biases! This didn't make any sense at all.

How do you deal with such people?

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
Explain to them the fault in their reasoning. If they refuse to listen, then you mentally mark them as idiots and move on. Then next time they say something stupid, remind yourself that they're stupid and can't help themselves and disregard their comments.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I remember having to read that. About half of the book was about the unbearably boring adventures of scout Jem and Dill and the rest highlighted the issue of racism in a not-so-subtle way.

Anyway, I just ignore those people unless they get in my face with their retarded opinions.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
false inhibition and pretense to assume that Scout has to run off with a partner after she grows up.

It's societies' way of engraining into students to grow old, get married, have kids, and die ... repeat the cycle...

c'mon.. snap out of it... argue that their point holds no merit and prejudice against the decision of remaining single. Celibacy is beyond the scope of argument. The parenting skills of Atticus allows free-will and freedom of choice. Who is to decide what's appropriate or accepted? Tomboy or not, Scout realizes her own identity.

If I were to guess, your student friend / classmate is one of those types who has an answer for everything but they don't know what their sense of identity is themselves... she's the kind that needs validation from her peers to actually feel she has a sense of purpose to exist in life. And she's the type to pout and get mad if the center of attention is not aimed at her.

amirite?

·
Registered
873 Posts
That's hilarious what that girl said. Well, you do have to learn to deal with every type of people unless you cut off contact with the rest of the world. That being said, I like @Cheveyo's response. Mark them (I'm guessing this girl is a Sensor-Feeler sheep) in your head and move on.

I'm guessing you're in high school (we read To Kill a Mockingbird in 9th grade). Some people don't get any more rational as they get older. You'll need to develop your own ways of handling each person and situation. For me, I try to guess what their personality preference is (I'm right more than half the time) and go from there (such as personality manipulation [I can't think of another term that's lesser than manipulation]).

·
Banned
644 Posts
No one's personal views has to coincide with a novel's or vice versa. Even so, the girl's response can be described as "circular reasoning", I think. In this instance, you could've pointed that fallacy out to her, and encouraged her to back up her stance up with more substance.

·
Banned
649 Posts
Some people will just never make any sense even when you slap their face upside with a book (a large book too, not just a small flimsy paperback!). If you know that the girl who answered that question is like the kind of person I've mentioned above, I would just ignore what she said.

To make a suggestion like that though, would require a rather shallow understanding of the book (or barely any understanding at all). In any case, I doubt the girl truly understood that "To Kill a Mockingbird" was a book about racism and social inequality. Ideally, if I was put in your situation, I would try to explain to the girl (if she's not like the type of person I've mentioned up above) what the book is really about. Unless the teacher can do that (which would save me the trouble of explaining anything at all).

In real life though, I tend to avoid explaining most things to people. Its a bit of a bad habit of mine.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
I've been counted in the 80% many, many a time by people much wiser and more informed than I.

Until they die and you move up to fill their percentile spot. Optimism at work here, Nadjasix! The world isn't as bleak. You're included!

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Ask yourself: How would Atticus Finch handle this situation? haha

Your teacher asked the question, so in some sense, the answer was fair game. I've found over the years that it's only worth arguing with people who can give you a good argument- not to say this has stopped me from making a smart ass comment here and there. Just remember that not only do you deal with people, but people deal with you as well. And I can't imagine how people deal with me many times.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I go out of my way to avoid situations with people like that. I hate confrontation; I hate logical fallacies. It's very stressful.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
In English, my class has been reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. We finished it, so today we had a socratic seminar about the book. Someone asked the question, "Whose style of parenting do you prefer: Atticus' or Aunt Alexandra's?"
In case you don't know, Atticus' style is more hands-off, respectful, and unorthodox.
Aunt Alexandra is more traditional, "girls should be girls" and such.
Scout is Atticus' kid and the main character in the story. She's very tomboyish, refuses to wear dresses, etc.
This girl answered, "Well, I think that Aunt Alexandra's style is better, because Scout has to become a girl at some point, because it isn't right. She can't just go on being a tomboy forever."
Now, To Kill a Mockingbird is a book about racism and social inequality. What I don't get about the girl's statement was that it was so sexist, when the book was about biases! This didn't make any sense at all.

How do you deal with such people?
.... by testing the breaking point of skull-bone relative to desk-wood... it feels so good when I stop....

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ask yourself: How would Atticus Finch handle this situation? haha

Your teacher asked the question, so in some sense, the answer was fair game. I've found over the years that it's only worth arguing with people who can give you a good argument- not to say this has stopped me from making a smart ass comment here and there. Just remember that not only do you deal with people, but people deal with you as well. And I can't imagine how people deal with me many times.
Actually, a student asked the question....
True... I'll try to remember... I'll probably forget though.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
You could re-title this thread "how do you do deal with 80% of humanity?"

And we all find ourselves as a member of that 80% at some point, we don't just know it until after the fact.
Oh, it gets worse: Improbable Research » Blog Archive I refer you to the Second Basic Law of Stupidity: "The probability that a certain person be stupid is independent of any other characteristic of that person." Which means that the population of Nobel Laureates and the population of winners of the Darwin Awards contains exactly the same percentage of stupid people...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I suspect that you're either trying to troll me by not making any sense, or you just accidentally clicked "post."
...I'm going with the former.
I'm so glad you're back to be perceived to be bigger troll than I.
#the-other-motivation #it's-only-a-matter-of-time #@Richard

1 - 19 of 19 Posts