Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll keep this question short, partly because I really should be studying instead of being here, and partly because I think you get what I'm thinking about anyway... (and really mostly because if I don't convince myself that it's ok to keep it short, I'll never get around to post this question - damn procrastination - :crazy:)

So: In what situations do procrastinate? And how do you deal with it? Love to hear your thoughts...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Procrastination ALWAYS costs a lot - generally, money. That's incentive enough for me. I tell myself to get it done and over with, or else it hangs over my head like a cannon ball. And then I make myself do it. If it's important enough. If it's something like 'sweep the floor today, or wait til tomorrow....' Eventually, the floor wins over the procrastination.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
apparently sometimes we procrastinate just because if we put it off until the last minute, we can basically run ourselves intoa corner and only have to use a short burst of energy.

I think one thing I have noticed about me being who I am is that when I procrastinate I do it because I DON'T want to spend a kagillion hours on "doing" something.

so I wait just until the last minute and pull a unique masterpiece out of my ass.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Personally I hurry in what I do and try to get it over with, holding the idea of a pre-decided reward in mind.

Enforcing a reward or even a punishement does it for me, else I can hang around for hours and watch in irritation at that little task I should do that would only take ten minutes.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
apparently sometimes we procrastinate just because if we put it off until the last minute, we can basically run ourselves intoa corner and only have to use a short burst of energy.

I think one thing I have noticed about me being who I am is that when I procrastinate I do it because I DON'T want to spend a kagillion hours on "doing" something.

so I wait just until the last minute and pull a unique masterpiece out of my ass.
So true. It's a strength turning into weakness... not spending time on important things, just because it will work out OK anyway... :crazy:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
So true. It's a strength turning into weakness... not spending time on important things, just because it will work out OK anyway... :crazy:
lol... YES!
that is definitly me.

sometimes I mis-judge thee amount of work I have but typically I don't procrastinate on reading up or knowing what I am getting into, then I just don't get into it. lol

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I usually leave whatever I need to do at my house and drive far far away. I have horrible procrastination habits.
I was about to suggest something similar. Simply relocating yourself and getting yourself out of familiar, comfy settings can be a great deterrent to procrastinating. It's been shown through scientific studies (I forget where this article is, unfortunately) that being in different places puts your brain very subtly 'on edge', which focuses it more, at least for learning.

If you're having trouble focusing, try working for a little while in a sleep cafe (avoid peak hours) or even just a quiet corner of the library.

Also, try to avoid distractions as much as possible. It's also been shown with scientific studies (of whose origin I also conveniently forget :frustrating: ) that concentration-power sort of 'builds up' the more you focus on a task. If you go and check your facebook every five minutes, you will be distracted and not get stuff done, but it you concentrate steadily for an hour straight, you'll be surprised how much you can get accomplished. So, if you do go somewhere, leave behind the laptop, don't go for wifi, even leave behind you cellphone and mp3 players.

it's all about laughing!
and feeling good.
This calls for a funny clip:
YouTube - Whose Line is it Anyway? US Top 5 Funniest Moments

·
Registered
802 Posts
I usually procrastinate when I'm hesitant to start something. When I feel like I can't or won't do a good job, that's when I put things off the most. Or when I'm really, really tired. Sometimes when I'm tired, I'll actually put off going to bed!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I love that strength to weakness idea because it seems fitting that my greatest strengths have my greatest weaknesses in them.

I only procrastinate now when I don't really want to do it. With the things I really enjoy - I just do it. Housework is a big one for me. So Ive been thinking of the basics as my friend put it. Just get the basics done and I define what that is. I still procrastinate on some of it though.

Reactions: penchant

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
We should usually have a balance between our dreamer and doer.

Honestly I find myself procrastinating because of self doubt, laziness, worry, depression. Sometimes I have a hard time leaving my head to want to do anything.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, try to avoid distractions as much as possible. It's also been shown with scientific studies (of whose origin I also conveniently forget :frustrating: ) that concentration-power sort of 'builds up' the more you focus on a task. If you go and check your facebook every five minutes, you will be distracted and not get stuff done, but it you concentrate steadily for an hour straight, you'll be surprised how much you can get accomplished. So, if you do go somewhere, leave behind the laptop, don't go for wifi, even leave behind you cellphone and mp3 players.
Thanks! I can't be reminded enough about that kind of things...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only procrastinate now when I don't really want to do it. With the things I really enjoy - I just do it.
When I start thinking this way, that is when I start wondering if I really am so bad at delayed gratification as it seems... Because writing on my essays for school really is something that I want to get done, just not something I feel like doing. And somehow I just can't seem to accept that there is no other way to get them done than actually doing them... :sad:

We should usually have a balance between our dreamer and doer.

Honestly I find myself procrastinating because of self doubt, laziness, worry, depression. Sometimes I have a hard time leaving my head to want to do anything.
That happens to me when I don't see how anything I do could make a difference... But if I know that other people appreciate what I do, it tend to be able to find the motivation, even if I'm very low, and that can take me out of my head, and back into relating to other people.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I go on YouTube and watch a Nike commercial.

Just do it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts