Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard somewhere that INFPs use sarcasm a lot, which I can't really relate to. Or well... once in a while I guess. I have other Fi-user friends who use a lot of sarcasm on me, and I just... can't seem to get it. I say it's because they still have the same volume in their voice, and it's partly true. But on the same time, I'm afraid I just don't know them well enough, or maybe I'm just too naive when it comes to my friends. Anyway, I guess it would be a good idea to ask you guys^^ Do you instinctly get sarcasm? Do you use it a lot? Can you relate to anything I'm saying, or am I just completely wrong? xD

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I LOVE SARCASM :D

I get it quite well, but I used to get it better :/ I have no idea how to explain it, but now I get confused sometimes about whether or not they're being serious (unless it's super obvious, obviously xD Hahas!) I use it quite often unless I'm being serious about a topic...Which apparently is hardly ever 0_o (Note to self, I should start taking things seriously!) I'm one of those who might accidentally use the same tone even though I'm being sarcastic though xD It seems like a different tone to me, but apparently to others it's still too similar :/ How interesting.

I can't stand when people overuse sarcasm though. I've actually met people who use it in almost every other sentence. They tend to come off as defensive (of what, I'm not sure) :/

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
I AM sarcasm.

But seriously, it's a heavy part of my brand of humour. I really don't think I'm overly sarcastic, but I'm fairly frequent with it. I'm usually pretty subtle too, I never go overboard with it making it condescending and obvious like some do. With my sarcasm you need to know me well before you'll notice all of it. I never sarcastically say 'no' when it would be perfectly appropriate to say 'yes', it's usually mixed in with amusing situations already. Or when snarking, but that's usually to people I don't like.

Strangely my ability to detect sarcasm sometimes fails me. I find it's usually in facial expressions and (obviously) tone of voice but sometimes I don't think I'd be able to detect my own level of sarcasm.

I think I have a skill in writing subtly-dripping-in-sarcasm letters though. :proud:

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
My humor can be very deadpan. I do love saying abnormal, funny things in a *normal* tone. I don't think I spill over to sarcasm too much, though. When someone uses it on me, I don't think I skip a beat. I don't think it's a big irritant to me but... I might just not be remembering fully, at this point.

My reaction might be like the girl with the pink hair:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like to use sarcasm too, but in a really detectable way, and mostly when we're just goofing around already. But my friends can just suddenly start using sarcasm(at least, it seems suddenly to me xD) and even though I think it's weird, I just agree with them anyway... it sometimes feel like there's very little individualism in me...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know... I'm more that kind of person who has a funny personality, say weird stuff, and do weird things without knowing it. Guess things like sarcasm sometimes scare me a little, simply because people always have taken me serious when I actually tried to be funny.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
Sarcasm was not used when I was brought up in my family, and if I was obtuse like that, then my mother would definitely scold me on this. But as I was growing up, being sarcastic or "being nasty" is almost a way of life ! I was very naive to think that human courtesy extends to different people. I do not think that I have been sarcastic deliberately. I could have been very mean in a very frank way. I remember when a close friend used sarcasm on me, I did not know how to behave or to react. I just gave a very normal reaction and I always overlook it. I think he was an NT. If it wasn't used correctly, the other person can come across as being embarrassed, but in reality, they were just pushing back and being mean. As in, they thought that you overstepped a line. Sarcasm is also an indirect way to say "go away" or a "don't over step this mark". I see this often between male and male communications a lot in the UK. Sometimes I laugh because I just wanted to say a "good for you for standing up for yourself with that retort" ! But, I guess if I really separate myself in that drama, and wanted harmony amongst everybody, then that also affects me too. So I do not prefer it when people speak sarcastically. Either do not be there, and not have that relationship with others, or be nice, and be adult and amicable.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition."

Very famous line in the UK. When said from person to person, I understood it as "do not go for broke and be all hell has gone lose about it". Or it means "do not make a mountain out of a molehill".

Sarcasm relates to bullying as well... It is just a more "cleverer" way to hide one's discomfort. Not everybody see it this way though, cos some people wants you to think in an intellectual way to understand the illogical joke, but then again, it means that they are pushing you to be them, and to understand them, and actually not respecting you as a person by speaking in the same level and manner as you.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts

So yes, I use it and I use it often. :D

·
Registered
814 Posts
I swear, if people used one word to describe me it'd probably be 'sarcastic'. My Mum is constantly telling me I have an extremely dry/sarcastic sense of humour (which I apparently get from my Dad, according to her), and my friends at school said they absolutely love it when I use it and can't stop laughing. I get really frustrated when people think I'm being rude, because it's just natural for me and I always use it; the fact they get angry at me over it is annoying.
I just use it on instinct really, and 99% of the time I know when someone else is being sarcastic. If someone uses sarcasm around me and someone-else, yet that someone-else takes it seriously, I can't wrap my head around how they don't know it's a joke. It just seems obvious to me I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts