Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to be someone who just bulldozes on through their workday/ school day whenever I have a cold or some minor illness, but I just don't *want* to. It's not that I'm wimpy, I'm just lazy. ... . . .
And when I'm seriously sick with a flu, or sinusitis (I've had that once), or strep throat, I'm a total turtle. In my shell, but all I'm thinking about is how I HATE having to stay in bed.

When I'm injured, during the recovery period I'm always trying to come up with ways of getting around the injury. Gotta make it happen! Especially when I want a special yumyum from the kitchen while I'm feeling down but I know good & well that no one in the house knows how to make it like *I* do! (wow, I feel so stuck up, lol)

Finally with my Chronic illness, well. This thing has definitely become the Drill Sergeant of me. No matter what I say, When it sais "sit down", I have to SIT DOWN. ...aaand I hate that. I can't stand the idea of not being able to move around when I feel I must. Even though the pain is imminent, if I need a tall cup of Gatorade with ice to the rim, I MUST GET IT. (<-- knuckle-headed)

So in conclusion, I'm a doodlebug (pillbug) when I have an ailment, and a (sometimes) unstoppable warrior when I'm injured. Not sure why that is.

So... how do you handle your pain?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I can push through colds and such usually. Once I get a moderate fever and thinking becomes fuzzy, then I give up. When I'm dealing with nausea, that's a different issue. That's not pretty. I stay home and don't fight it. I don't equate or experience most minor illness with pain.

I usually don't mind when I have to stay in bed.

I don't deal well with acute onset pain (sudden, unexpected), whether that's a major blow or a paper cut. I can easily fall into a sudden rage because of it. For longer lasting physical pain I attempt to avoid anything that would make the pain present or increase. I usually try not to medicate for physical pain. For psycho/emotional pain I tend to avoid putting myself in situations likely to cause me pain. Regarding psycho/spiritual pain I swim in it all day long.

Reactions: InvisibleButterfly

·
Banned
ENFJ — sx/so — 2w3 7w6 9w8: The Peacekeeper
4,399 Posts
Call me a hermit, but the few times in my life where I've been really sick have been some of the most fun I've had. You mean I get to stay home, in bed, under my covers, and play video games all day? AND get paid for it? Sign me up.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I stay in bed, have soup and read/draw/blog.

2,781 Posts
I tend to carry on when I am ill. I don't like to be in bed when I am sick, I need to be up doing things. I don't like anyone doing things for me that I can do for myself.

I had to work hard to walk again after a spinal cord injury years ago, I refused to accept that I would never walk again. I also refused any help when I was released from the hospital. I was very determined to walk no matter how painful, or how difficult it was. I also refused pain medications when I left the hospital and to this day I will not take anything for pain unless it is excruciating pain.

Last summer I was out taking photos of butterflies (without my shoes on) and I accidentally stepped into a hole in the ground and I felt something stab my foot, and I dropped to the ground (omg that hurt). I had someone with me who knew first aid so they were able to stop the bleeding. I was at the edge of a field when that happened, and it turned out to be an old wrought iron rod (a small one) that I stepped on. I had to use crutches for about a week and I really hated having to use those things. I tried to walk without them but it was too difficult, so I used just one crutch and I felt ok with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts