Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes so I've spent the last year doing a job in a culture obsessed with paperwork and organisational skills and while I've learnt loads and got way way more organized, I'm still quite bad and by work standards and totally shite!

So how do you guys cope in work with your lack of organisational skills?

·
Banned
998 Posts
My INFJ mom goes ape-shit over this store. The store is Wal-Mart size, and it's full of organization solutions.
Solutions-Your Organized Living Store

I am not that organized myself, but my Ne likes devising methods of organization for efficiency. Every now and then I'll get in a mood to organize the living shit out of my room, but that happens about as often as a fat kid eats vegetables (not often).

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yes so I've spent the last year doing a job in a culture obsessed with paperwork and organisational skills and while I've learnt loads and got way way more organized, I'm still quite bad and by work standards and totally shite!
It so much sounds like me..... Im desperate about myself here too !

·
Registered
145 Posts
So how do you guys cope in work with your lack of organisational skills?
I'm a pile'er. I have two piles:
  1. the important shit, which stays in front of me
  2. everything else
#1 gets addressed right away and #2 gets thrown away until someone asks for it at least 3 times.
Co-worker: "Mmmmm, yeah....I'm going need those TPS reports by Monday morning."
Me: "Sure thing." That's 1.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Without a full-text searchable email archive I am dead.

I also use whiteboards a lot.

Decide what is really important that day and work on it until it is done.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I"ve never really had that problem. When i'm working it turns into a game of "let's see how good I can get at this" and then I try to come up with my own process for getting things done and tweak it as often as possible until it can't be tweaked anymore. I usually become quite efficient and organized in a work environment. My only enemy is boredom and that's probably why I try to become so good. I want to be one of those people that does their job well but makes it look effortless and can be doing something else while still doing their job. That way I can daydream and work at once lol. I remember when I used to work at the Amazon warehouse i'd be day dreaming, half falling asleep, or talking while working and I was actually a really good worker. Even as a newbie I was trusted to put out the big orders for almost the entire winter season (which they usually only let one other person that was there for 9 years do). That made my life so much easier.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Do ENTP "suffer" in the same way as an INTP when something is in the wrong place? Way I see it is "If I don't need it immediately, it ain't hurting anyone where it is and as far as my brain is concerned it isn't there at all."

·
Registered
722 Posts
Do ENTP "suffer" in the same way as an INTP when something is in the wrong place? Way I see it is "If I don't need it immediately, it ain't hurting anyone where it is and as far as my brain is concerned it isn't there at all."
I know that I typically want thing to be in the "right place" so that in the future when I do need it it's easily accessible but if I really didn't think I was going to need something for the whole day or something like that then it can be on the roof for all I care. I don't forget where I put things though. I seem to always have certain places that I just throw things in randomly and I usually remember these places.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Are you a piler?

That REALLY pisses off some Js. I don't know why, I call it a side-laying "file cabinet" ordered by chronological order and importance. Obviously it would be, right? Oldest at the bottom?

But no, it seems like 60% of Js would rather the employees waste time and create hanging folders to file away stuff that'll be forever packed away and forgotten unless you spend another half hour creating and updating some to-do list/calendar/agenda schedule, etc of what you just filed. An hour of productivity down the drain, just because they don't like seeing a little stack of paper - which has been shuffled neatly.

Yeah, so don't pile. Or if you do, hide it. If you don't, some moron is going to scoop up the whole pile and THROW IT IN THE TRASH because "it obviously is just garbage, you'd have filed anything of importance". The idiot who did that screwed himself when he did that...it had his personal information and since he threw it away, some phisher got his CC info and went on an online spending spree. {/rant}

REAL ADVICE:

For me, MS Outlook tasks are a lifesaver. Or I'll scribble my office to-do list on a scrap of paper next to the laptop I work on.

·
Registered
722 Posts
hahaha I do that alot with my stuff where i'll just throw it on top of each other in some specific order. I've never worked anywhere before that made me have to deal with papers in that way. I imagine if I did i'd probably end up doing that and then putting it wherever it was supposed to be at the end of the day or when I had nothing to do.

That sounds so retarded though. Why would someone just walk over and be like "well this must be trash and it must be MY duty to throw it away." I mean one would think that the person dealing with the papers SHOULD be the one to decide if it's trash or not. That's why I just prefer people to give me my space. Otherwise stupid shit happens.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I keep it clean, and organize piles. Si takes care of the details.

I typically just tear through and organize my space like a champ once every 4 or 5 months, then it just goes down hill.

Reactions: CJ99

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If you're having a problem with organization you should: call one of your NTJ friends to come f**k your sh*t up! Then call one of your SJ friends to organize your things.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
hahaha I do that alot with my stuff where i'll just throw it on top of each other in some specific order. I've never worked anywhere before that made me have to deal with papers in that way. I imagine if I did i'd probably end up doing that and then putting it wherever it was supposed to be at the end of the day or when I had nothing to do.

That sounds so retarded though. Why would someone just walk over and be like "well this must be trash and it must be MY duty to throw it away." I mean one would think that the person dealing with the papers SHOULD be the one to decide if it's trash or not. That's why I just prefer people to give me my space. Otherwise stupid shit happens.
Exactly.

And they opened the door to MY office (which I only use), walked inside and went to MY desk and did that. While I was getting coffee downstairs. All because they didn't like seeing it through the glass window when they walked by the entrance. (It was an INFJ who did that btw...)

I say, it's the people getting the work done, not the desk. So why worry about how spic-and-span it looks if it's not impeding productivity? GAH.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I wish you were my mom :dry:

Reactions: CJ99

·
Banned
998 Posts
Exactly.

And they opened the door to MY office (which I only use), walked inside and went to MY desk and did that. While I was getting coffee downstairs. All because they didn't like seeing it through the glass window when they walked by the entrance. (It was an INFJ who did that btw...)

I say, it's the people getting the work done, not the desk. So why worry about how spic-and-span it looks if it's not impeding productivity? GAH.
They have a tendency to do that. My mom is INFJ, and is obsessed with cleaning. My stuff. She once threw out a chemistry experiment that I had to bring home from school because "it looked like trash".

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
You could just buy a lot of colored file folders and those desktop organizers with the hanging files and little shelves. Then you can label things with sticky notes that read things like: DO NOT TOUCH or IMPORTANT or DO NOT DISCARD or MONDAY 3pm and stick them on the tops of the piles and hanging out of the organizers.

This will scare the self-appointed helpers away because they will look important...and labelled. The beauty of this, of course, being that it's not actually organized.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Actually, I should mention this: Since I started a business I decided to get a file cabinet and it's made my life so much simpler! And I've also started to collect all of the scrap paper that I print out but made mistakes on etc, and I use them for note taking etc.
My computer files are pretty organized as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This should be on the "you know you're an ENTP when" thread.lol This was me to a tee, the running joke is everyone knows when I am working because of the mess (in their eyes) of work everywhere. But when you can do three times as much work as everyone else and still have time to slack-off even the boss leaves you alone.lol I will say this tho, having just been in a relationship with a left-brain dominant/ organizational woman who has ADHD, she helped me realize that I had some form of ADD/ADHD. After researching into it more and paying more attention to how I am, I found out I do in fact have it and had it probably most of my life. Therefore after discussing with my doctor I tried Adderall (I don't condone taking anything since I'm not a doctor) and will say that I've never been more organized in my thinking and somewhat completely altered the way I view how I do things. If that makes sense? Long story short, it is probably a combination of having someone close help you discover something you didn't realize you might have and the prescrip/placebo.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
I used to do the whole file cabinet, tabbed manila folders in binders until I realized I would spend more time organizing than doing actual work. So nowadays I keep my workspace in neat piles and I keep a mental note of what each stack is for. It's a system that works for me and it's efficient enough to where it may look messy but I at least aren't wasting time organizing.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts