Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are tons of posts and articles about the differences between sensing and intuition, and I understand the differences. Something I have trouble doing though (and I also have just started typing people so this is new to me in general), is deciding if someone is an S or an N.

I just don't understand how you could tell in person if someone is a sensor or intuitive without knowing them too well. What methods do you personally use to determine if someone is sensing or intuitive?

For example, most S types seem to notice and remember the small details in their surroundings, while I never notice the details and just remember the general idea of the event. But there has to be some better methods?

I'm also frustrated in this because I understand that sensors can be intuitive, and intuitives can be sensing. So how do you really tell what someone prefers more?

What strategies do you all use in order to determine which one a person is? For example, can't a sensor have a vivid imagination? And can't intuitives notice the small details sometimes? What's the REAL way to know?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think most people can pay attention to details for a limited amount of time when they have to, but we also generalize a lot and that is a normal thing to do when facing large amounts of information. However, most people remember the details all wrong and our generalizations are typically flawed as well because they are based largely on our subjective experiences. All this, and the type question hasn't even entered the stage yet.

A good rule of thumb is: sensing deals with information that can be verified through senses. That means sensors tend to have firm grasp on what is realistic, we have more certainty of the validity of our perceptions etc. Whereas intuition ignores the superficial/obvious layer to see beneath it, I suppose in order to reach for some kind of "essence" rather than what is directly observable. This tends to make them relavitely uncertain and fluctuating between several alternative ways to intepret things.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I just don't understand how you could tell in person if someone is a sensor or intuitive without knowing them too well.

What's the REAL way to know?
Typing people one doesn't know well is bound to be a seriously flawed endeavor. Type is based on cognitive preferences and we are not privy to the mental life of people we don't know well. The best way to type someone is to involve that person in the process and get feedback about which aspects of your typing are accurate.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typing people one doesn't know well is bound to be a seriously flawed endeavor. Type is based on cognitive preferences and we are not privy to the mental life of people we don't know well. The best way to type someone is to involve that person in the process and get feedback about which aspects of your typing are accurate.
I know that, but I always see people saying things like "it's so obvious he's a sensor" or "it's so obvious she's intuitive." How do you come to that conclusion?

I'm not talking about strangers, but people you speak to on a regular basis.

When you type these people, how do you decide if they're a sensor or intuitive or not?

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
I think I usually determine N vs S last

For example I can usually gauge if someone is ExFJ relatively easy. An Ni dom however is going to seek to draw the meaning of an experience and find out how to create harmony thru their Fe. So usually the tip off is that The Ni user is going to be overthinking (inferior Ti) where they express that out loud, while they utilize their Fe. Where as ESFJ actually is using that same Fe but lack of Ni means generally they don't care to explore why as much as to simply patch something up. I mean both types like to stick Band aids on things. But ENFJ is almost so focused on cause and effect and not only harmony of the now but trying to create permanence. ESFJ prefers comfort, reliability, consistency, and familiarity so they to tend revert to what has worked rather than what can work. Also ESFJ put more action into the immediate with their efforts to regain comfort where as an ENFJ will take as long as they need to reflect on something before they feel comfortable making a conclusion where as an ESFJ moves faster because not only Si and reverting to tried and true methods but with impulsive tert Ne so even if they explore something it's being done at a faster pace. ENFJ prefers to fact check a bit more I think because of tert Se and obviously aux Ni.

So for example how I deduce an ENFJ from an ESFJ isn't going to be the same method in how I determine an ENFP from an ESFP.

Ne & Ni aren't even similar in my opinion so using the same things to determine one from its counter to the other doesn't seem solid.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
If they're with one of those people who say "knock on wood" and either taps themselves on the head or actually looks for some wood to knock on, and you think "fucksakes that shit isn't real" then you're a sensor (Se).

If you join in and start helping find something to knock on, or also tap yourself on the head, because you believe that shit, you're an iNtUiTiVe (Ni).

If you think to yourself how your grandma used to do that sort of shit, so you do it anyway to be polite, knowing full well it's BS, sensor (Si).

If you say "if I say "wood" and you knock the air in front of my mouth at the same time, does it count?" then you're an iNtUiTiVe (Ne).

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
You know how a kid constantly tugs on his dad's sleeve asking a question, his dad answers but then he just does it again and he's like ''But....why?'' and the father gives him a more direct answer but it's still not enough for the kid and the father starts becoming impatient because his answers according to him clearly covers the subject matter in all its entirety?

Well intuitives are that little kid and sensors are the father.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Depends on type in regards to imagination. Open your eyes, the descriptions are as they seem.as a side note, I guess you could memorize the cognitive functions. You'll be functional accurate but less likely precise, unless you administer test to them.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
You know how a kid constantly tugs on his dad's sleeve asking a question, his dad answers but then he just does it again and he's like ''But....why?'' and the father gives him a more direct answer but it's still not enough for the kid and the father starts becoming impatient because his answers according to him clearly covers the subject matter in all its entirety?

*switches to INTP*

Surely "because I fucking said so" warrants questioning, though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depends on type in regards to imagination. Open your eyes, the descriptions are as they seem.as a side note, I guess you could memorize the cognitive functions. You'll be functional accurate but less likely precise, unless you administer test to them.
All I'm asking, is how these general "descriptions" play out in real life situations. I was asking for some actual examples of how you people decide if someone is a sensor or intuitive in real life, without having them take a test or asking them really specific questions.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Lol, I was definitely the intuitive kid :laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Well when I think of female ENFPs this comes to mind because of a certain hooters waitress who will remain nameless. She was so excited to see me, she hit a new decibel . Even I was surprised lol:

Sensors generally look around, intuitives look within.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Wait! you went back to ISTP?? Dude, you're like the Anne Heche of MBTI :p

(no one will get that reference....)
Had to google her, cuz she played dual roles in some show, yeah?
Never heard of her.

I don't know what fakking type I am :D
And if I don't magically "know" then I can't be Ni dom, think that's the theory anyway, haha.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
She was this straight woman whom all of a sudden turned gay and dated Ellen, when they broke up, she went back to men.

It's an analogy about your changing types.....not about your sexuality :/

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
She was this straight woman whom all of a sudden turned gay and dated Ellen, when they broke up, she went back to men.

It's an analogy about your changing types.....not about your sexuality :/
Ah, haha. I didn't know about that.
I thought it was because she played multiple roles in one show lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
All I'm asking, is how these general "descriptions" play out in real life situations. I was asking for some actual examples of how you people decide if someone is a sensor or intuitive in real life, without having them take a test or asking them really specific questions.
Well, uncertainty/certainty distinction has been brought up twice in this thread, is there something wrong with that approach?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know there are tons of posts and articles about the differences between sensing and intuition, and I understand the differences. Something I have trouble doing though (and I also have just started typing people so this is new to me in general), is deciding if someone is an S or an N.

I just don't understand how you could tell in person if someone is a sensor or intuitive without knowing them too well. What methods do you personally use to determine if someone is sensing or intuitive?

For example, most S types seem to notice and remember the small details in their surroundings, while I never notice the details and just remember the general idea of the event. But there has to be some better methods?

I'm also frustrated in this because I understand that sensors can be intuitive, and intuitives can be sensing. So how do you really tell what someone prefers more?

What strategies do you all use in order to determine which one a person is? For example, can't a sensor have a vivid imagination? And can't intuitives notice the small details sometimes? What's the REAL way to know?
S/N are both capable of being N/S with some effort required & there are some people who are naturally equipped at being both. However most of us naturally lean towards one or the other by default. And this is what the MBTI and other personality tests mean.

S people generally are more conservative, practical, realistic, believes in the motto "to see is to believe" and concerned with the details while N people are the more "outside the box" thinkers, believes in the possibilities & are more inclined to see things in big picture instead of the small details.

IN real life situations you can tell a S by: voting for conservative party, choosing a home that is completely finished instead of a bare type, preferred method of problem solving is to do what has worked in the past or consulting people who was on that situation. Whereas N people are: prefers democrat or liberal party, likes to purchase a lot for them to design their own houses, preferred way of solving problems is to innovate solutions instead of following what others did, more open to new ideas.

Of course like what I said, both types are capable of developing their opposite side with some effort.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts