Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
INTP 5
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confident I am a type 5 but I am finding it hard to determine my wing (which I believe is due to the presence of type 4 being in my Tritype), so how do you differentiate between having a wing 6 but having a 4 in your tritype versus just simply being a 5 wing 4?

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,824 Posts
How about one of my tritype wings is my core type! It is what it is: 5w6 8w7 4w5.

How do you determine your wing? It "flavors" your type with some aspects of that wing.

·
Registered
INTP 5
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about one of my tritype wings is my core type! It is what it is: 5w6 8w7 4w5.

How do you determine your wing? It "flavors" your type with some aspects of that wing.

Yes sure but how do you figure that out?
As an example in the first link you sent

5w4: Idiosyncratic (and often autodidactic) lone ranger who deeply values autonomy and mastery in a subject.

5w6: Detached and curious researcher who gains energy from digging into fascinating topics, under the radar.
Both of these descriptions are something both I identify with, I would even argue that the description for 5w4 is just the description of a typical 5 (namely autonomy and autodidactic). What draws the line between 5w4 and 5w6?

·
Beer Guardian
15,824 Posts

·
Registered
INTP 5
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you dont understand what I am trying to illustrate. The trouble is I have 4 in my Tritype so I naturally identify with anything that relates with 4, so I would naturally assume I would be a wing 4 but never be sure I am not a wing 6. I also really dislike these descriptions cause they don't really help either, as again I identify with both.

5w4 tend to gravitate towards the arts and 5w6 gravitates more towards science and technology
I gravitate towards both; I do draw and paint as a hobby and am a math researcher and a programmer.

·
Beer Guardian
15,824 Posts
I think you dont understand what I am trying to illustrate. The trouble is I have 4 in my Tritype so I naturally identify with anything that relates with 4, so I would naturally assume I would be a wing 4 but never be sure I am not a wing 6. I also really dislike these descriptions cause they don't really help either, as again I identify with both.

I gravitate towards both; I do draw and paint as a hobby and am a math researcher and a programmer.
Me too. Might explain why I have one as a wing and one as a trifix.

·
Registered
INTP 5
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me too. Might explain why I have one as a wing and one as a trifix.
Yeah... I just wanna figure out my wing lmao. I can be sure about my other two types (4w5 and 1w9), but I am finding it really hard to determine between 5w4 and 5w6.

·
Beer Guardian
15,824 Posts
Yeah... I just wanna figure out my wing lmao. I can be sure about my other two types (4w5 and 1w9), but I am finding it really hard to determine between 5w4 and 5w6.
You're overthinking this. Relax a little.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Hmm. Perhaps I got this wrong then. I see 4 as a different side of my type. Of course, they are all connected, but the way I see it, it's something lower level than what enneagram describes.

Reactions: tanstaafl28

·
Registered
INTP 5
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're overthinking this. Relax a little.

Overthinking is my forte.

Reactions: tanstaafl28

·
Registered
5w4 592
18 Posts
The way I think about it is that your core type (Five) is expressed through your wing, while your tritype numbers determine how you try to achieve autonomy (8/9/1), self-worth (2/3/4), and security (5/6/7). So while your tritype numbers provide additional motivations for the way you deal with anger/shame/fear, your wing is just seasoning for something else (your core type). Your wing is built into your Five; your Five-ness has either Four or Six qualities.

I am a 5w4 with a 592 tritype. How I determined this is that my being Five is more oriented toward Four issues. I am a right brain Five instead of left brain Five; the way I think and the kind of information I collect is more humanities than sciences. Also, there are a lot of Six qualities that I have to work on in myself. The way I relate to other people and my self-image, however, is in a Two way and not in a Four way.

That being said, since you already settled on your tritype and are just unsure about your wing, simply going through the descriptions of 5w6 and 5w4 might be the best way to go for you, as has been suggested above. And there are also people who identify equally strongly with their two wings. I wouldn't worry too much about finding your wing just for the sake of knowing it: the goal is to improve your understanding of yourself.

·
Registered
INTP 5
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The way I think about it is that your core type (Five) is expressed through your wing, while your tritype numbers determine how you try to achieve autonomy (8/9/1), self-worth (2/3/4), and security (5/6/7). So while your tritype numbers provide additional motivations for the way you deal with anger/shame/fear, your wing is just seasoning for something else (your core type). Your wing is built into your Five; your Five-ness has either Four or Six qualities.

I am a 5w4 with a 592 tritype. How I determined this is that my being Five is more oriented toward Four issues. I am a right brain Five instead of left brain Five; the way I think and the kind of information I collect is more humanities than sciences. Also, there are a lot of Six qualities that I have to work on in myself. The way I relate to other people and my self-image, however, is in a Two way and not in a Four way.

That being said, since you already settled on your tritype and are just unsure about your wing, simply going through the descriptions of 5w6 and 5w4 might be the best way to go for you, as has been suggested above. And there are also people who identify equally strongly with their two wings. I wouldn't worry too much about finding your wing just for the sake of knowing it: the goal is to improve your understanding of yourself.
I see; You talk about humanities and science so how about something like math?

I fell in love with math due to its beauty (Ennea 4?), its complex logic (more 6) and especially of how I got enamored by how I simply did not have to rely on reality to know whether I was right or not. It is this sense of I can forget about how the world works and just delve into a self contained system of logic that is both simple and complex in its approach, a place where both logic and creativity resides. I dont do Math because of its practicality but I do it for its logical 'beauty', where problems have solutions note tainted by realities tendency to not make any sense.

Would you say this motivation is more of a 4 wing or a 6 wing?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts