Personality Cafe banner

How do you explain your intuitive process to others?

• I talk about "vibes"/"energies" (but maybe only with new age-y/holistic seeming people)

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • I just say right out that I used my intuition/gut/instinct

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I just say that I "know"

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • I make something up, try to make it seem objectively valid

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I actually try to explain how I know, as honestly as I can

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • I start to get nervous, change the subject, stall, go away, etc.

Votes: 6 13.6%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you are explaining how you know something is true to others, which you arrived at intuitively, how do you explain how you got there to others? Do you fear it'll sound weird/invalid?

Reactions: caraez and amanda32

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
If I were to explain it personally, intuition usually comes from a calm, ''just knowing'' sensation that gives you sudden clarity. I cannot expand on the explanation, but it is just there as if it's at a side of a compass. Ironically, when I start to wonder if I'm crazy about getting a sudden insight like that, that's usually when I will find out later that it turns out to be correct.

It can be a source of inner conflict, but trusting in intuition comes from experiences and a certain amount of inner strength.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I wonder how most people will react if I say,'' usually when I ask myself,' are you crazy?' it's a sign that my intuition will turn out to be correct''

:crazy:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
By making something up, so to seem objectively valid, you can usually convince everyone else that you are right. Most people won't argue with you if you do that. I guess it helps to surround yourself with open minded people too.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Yes, I have a really hard time explaining how I know mostly because I haven't analyzed how/why I know; I just know that I know! How to explain that?! And fact...grr...I hear/absorb them and take everything else I know into consideration almost in an instant (it seems though new information will continue to be processed -- the door is never really "closed" on an issue, not usually), so I don't remember the exact place I hear/read/watched it sometimes or the exact number and it frustrates me a lot when people press me for this information because I'm certain I know it and that it's true; it pisses me off when I'm challenged on it.
This is the number one thing that bothers me in debates, though I have to say I have learned that my "intuition" is so freaking right it's scary because when I have a "hunch" and look it up...the figures and facts are always there to back up what I've said.
Intuition isn't a feeling (not in this way), it's an abstract way of gaining and sifting through information -- and not in a careless way; in a very thoughtful way though it isn't always done in a way that I'm consiously aware that's what I'm doing.
Short answer: yes, it's freaking hard to explain how I just "know" things about people or things. Frustratingly hard and few people will listen to me try to verbalize the process or my explanation, especially since it's rarely conventional.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Most of my close friends are Ns and so usually it only takes a few moments for them to see where I'm coming from and that's all good. If I'm talking to most of my other friends, they all know I'm a bit weird and do all that new-agey stuff (I grew up next to Boulder, I mean really, it was pretty much a given I'd be a hippy :p ) so they don't blink an eye when I say that I'm guessing or don't know why, but such-such /feels/ right. It's really amusing when they're trying to cover up how they're feeling/what they're thinking and I'll see right past that. If someone really wants to push me to come with a why, I can usually give them a reason that makes sense to them and that does explain some part of my reasoning, just not all/most of it.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'm pretty sure if I talked about spiritual vibes or anything, people would think I'm a looney. (unrelated: we call a $1 coin a loonie in Canada).

If I said something like "I just know" I would sound like a stereotypical religious person trying to preach something, but unable to formulate a proper argument.

In the end, I actually try to explain how I know, as honestly as I can. However, it depends on how smart the other person is. Some people will never grasp it no matter what, you can be quick with these, but elevate your vocabulary a bit and they'll nod in agreement as you sound like you know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Yes, I have a really hard time explaining how I know mostly because I haven't analyzed how/why I know; I just know that I know! How to explain that?! And fact...grr...I hear/absorb them and take everything else I know into consideration almost in an instant (it seems though new information will continue to be processed -- the door is never really "closed" on an issue, not usually), so I don't remember the exact place I hear/read/watched it sometimes or the exact number and it frustrates me a lot when people press me for this information because I'm certain I know it and that it's true; it pisses me off when I'm challenged on it.
This is the number one thing that bothers me in debates, though I have to say I have learned that my "intuition" is so freaking right it's scary because when I have a "hunch" and look it up...the figures and facts are always there to back up what I've said.
Intuition isn't a feeling (not in this way), it's an abstract way of gaining and sifting through information -- and not in a careless way; in a very thoughtful way though it isn't always done in a way that I'm consiously aware that's what I'm doing.
Short answer: yes, it's freaking hard to explain how I just "know" things about people or things. Frustratingly hard and few people will listen to me try to verbalize the process or my explanation, especially since it's rarely conventional.
I actually can relate to this.

I think being able to connect with certain vibrational energies from people, places or even goals should actually have a scientific explanation behind them. Just because such explanations haven't been explored in expansion yet, it doesn't take away the effects of certain vibrational energies. Cues; intuitive experiences and how intuition is always discovered to be backed up by facts later, intuitive answers actually have a combination of being logically analytical and give ''this make sense'' feelings when categorized in certain visions or abstract filters. I get a bit frustrated in trying to find a more concrete explanation too, but nevertheless the lack of detail in my explanation does not discredit the validity of intuition.

T+N at work (a little) :wink:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I'm close to useless at explaining stuff so I just say "I just know" or "It was obvious".
If I tried explaining it to them I'd just get frustrated at myself and the fact that the person would most likely have no idea what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Example

Intuition says: You will find more direction in your life through studying politics, *I got a vision that related to it*

Subtle cues: I tend to be curious about the unusual aspects of human nature
I tend to have a lot of linguistic intelligence since at a very young age

(Even though on outer consideration these cues have little to do with politics)

Obvious cue: On feeling level, I tend to feel angry about even the smallest forms of injustice, even social injustice in college.

Subtle cues + obvious cues - conclusion: The fact that I am always interested in aspects of human nature that appear
unusual means that I am aware of how complex human nature can be, how fast
flows of globalization can shift and how a human being is an active being
in socialization with society. Thus, I have to take these factors into account
when considering the bigger picture behind the injustices of the world. My
language ability will make me able to communicate my ideas, relating to
social and politics, in the future.

Years later; fact : I became a student in politics and I have loved studying politics. It has helped me understand human nature and improved my communication skills even better.

·
Registered
444 Posts
to most of my buddies...I usually don't explain it...successfully. they just kind of take that stuff in stride now.

I usually try to explain it to peeps I don't know...but often times I just get funny looks, heh

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Lad and Izzie have got a really great grasp on what I like to try to do, but am usually unsuccessful at such, though I think some of that may be just not meeting at the halfway point with the other person I'm speaking with or not taking enough time to sift through and figure out why what seems obvious to me maybe isn't so obvious to people and then leading them through my reasoning.

I tried to explain how my thinking process and such works to a friend a while ago. I used the example of a problem being a river that I had to cross in order to reach a conclusion. There are multiple paths, some using stepping stones, some using bridges, and others sort of wandering before finally reach the river and using a bridge to cross to the other side. Most people I know use fairly linear (A, B, C, D or 1, 2, 3, 4) thinking and will find a path that obviously leads to a bridge and follow that until they are able to cross to the other side. There's not much deviation, and it seems straight forward, but sometimes it takes a lot of extra time to walk down to the bridge and then across and back up the river to be on the other side of the starting point.

I tend to jump from one path to another, sometimes skipping turns or paths and then more often than not will wander across the stepping stones. My path is more erratic, (A, C, E, D or 1,3, 5, 4) but is in many ways faster, or at least as fast as following a more straightforward path. That's my intuition at work, skipping unnecessary steps and sometimes taking me on more interesting ways to discover something. I can usually find my way back to the starting point using the more linear thinking, but it takes more time, and I miss things that are important to me, but not always to most others. It's in the backtracking that I try to explain my intuition to someone else - sometimes it works and sometimes it goes *whoosh* right over their heads, and others they just think I'm nuts. *shrugs*

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
When you are explaining how you know something is true to others, which you arrived at intuitively, how do you explain how you got there to others? Do you fear it'll sound weird/invalid?
My intuition is explained thusly: being able to figure out how things work, without reading the instruction manual.

Do I fear it'll sound weird/invalid? No.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If someone really wants to push me to come with a why, I can usually give them a reason that makes sense to them and that does explain some part of my reasoning, just not all/most of it.
Yea same here. It's like I make up logical reasons after I had decided on something. The idea was formed in my head long ago, but when i'm talking to someone about it I give them a reason or two which i just created on the spot so that I don't sound like a wierdo, but in the end i still do.

Reactions: faeriegal713

·
Registered
118 Posts
I always fear it'll sound weird/invalid. So I try to explain how I know, or even try to make something up. I try to bring logic to it. But you know what? I almost always can logically explain it.

It turns out I'm always right, really. :cool:

·
Banned
295 Posts
If I were to explain it personally, intuition usually comes from a calm, ''just knowing'' sensation that gives you sudden clarity. I cannot expand on the explanation, but it is just there as if it's at a side of a compass. Ironically, when I start to wonder if I'm crazy about getting a sudden insight like that, that's usually when I will find out later that it turns out to be correct.

It can be a source of inner conflict, but trusting in intuition comes from experiences and a certain amount of inner strength.
agreed. i wish i listened to my intuition more. when i do, it often proves to be right.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Somebody revived an old damn thread. And it's mine! I feel so special! :cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts