Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been discussed before, but...

Is insomnia common in our type? Oftentimes, I lay awake for hours thinking, unable to stop thinking and therefore not able to drift off into a lucid dream. How do you INTP's fall asleep, and stop your endless trains of thought?

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
I sleep with my forehead on the edge of a chair, my body on my bed, lying face flat, with my arms at my side.

It's something about the gravity of the blood circulating from my head facing downward that puts me to sleep better than lying down facing up.

Massage tables have that cushion that snugs the face allowing breathing while lying face flat.

That's where I got the idea and it seems to work well, especially after a really long tiring session of something.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I stop thinking in ideas, and start thinking in abstract images. Of course, I usually end up thinking of some truly nightmarish images, which is a bit of a problem. But barring that it works well enough.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I usually have to go steal a few of my mother's sleeping pills to get to sleep, but if I am exhausted, I will lay in bed and listen to my ipod for about an hour, then meditate. There is a point in my meditation where I can feel that my body is ready to sleep and I just turn over on my side and let myself go.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I takes a few hours for me to fall asleep sometimes... If I ever fall asleep really quickly it's because I've had an extremely long and tiring day.

When I was younger though, I'd force myself to sleep by pretending I was tired....
Now, I just try my hardest to keep my mind blank ... or, if I can't sleep, I just fantasize til I get sleepy. Or play my DS. Or read something on my Nook.
Anything and everything. I haven't figured out what works best yet, though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't usually have that problem, because I don't go to bed until I am passing out at my desk. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I used to take a while to fall asleep, from 30 minutes to 1 or even 2 hours. But I've found out that working 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week, really drains you. Now I sleep in just a few minutes.

But something that helps me fall asleep when I'm not feeling sleepy is music. Just two or three songs are usually enough to make me sleep. Either that or watching anything on National Geographic Channel.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sometimes it's easy, sometimes hard. Depends on how much is on my mind of if there's a mystery yet to solve. Lately I've been sleeping with audiobooks on and it gives me wild dreams. I've had to do the sleeping pill thing before but prescription strength is bad for my memory and actions so I stay away. Normally I start on my back and flip to my sides. Before I get to a good sleep I have a lot of vivid imagery in my head but not much thought or analysis, like watching I'm vegging out to a movie. I'm usually asleep pretty quick when my mind gets to that state.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I usually stay up until really obnoxious hours of the night lurking the internet, specifically personalitycafe, tumblr, and if anyone is on facebook messenger.
When I do go to bed though, I leave the TV on for a little bit so I get used to the dark. It takes usually 30 minutes to an hour to fall asleep if I'm uncomfortable. If it's cold in my room, which is what I like, I can pass out in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since I can't function on less than 6 hours of sleep, I have to go to bed two hours earlier than when I normally would, because it usually takes me an hour or two to sleep. That time I usually spend listening to my iPod, watching YouTube, or reading a book. Somewhere in the interim I fall asleep. It doesn't always work, though. I'm always jealous of my friends who could fall asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Since I can't function on less than 6 hours of sleep, I have to go to bed two hours earlier than when I normally would, because it usually takes me an hour or two to sleep. That time I usually spend listening to my iPod, watching YouTube, or reading a book. Somewhere in the interim I fall asleep. It doesn't always work, though. I'm always jealous of my friends who could fall asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow.
But that means they're over tired/exhausted.
I'm jealous anyways. >.<

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Lately, I've been falling asleep very quickly. Mostly because I stay up until I'm falling asleep at the computer. But it's really difficult otherwise. It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour or more, depending.

I used to write a lot, so I would lay in bed, close my eyes, and visualize what was going on in my story, plan ahead, and make adjustments here and there.

I noticed a while back, though I hate the action of praying, if I close my eyes and "pray," I can fall asleep within 5 minutes. I guess the action of playing through what's happened within the past week or so, processing it, and relaying it through this channel of some sort, is a kind of meditation that lulls me to sleep. I rarely do this, and it's not really praying at all (though it started off as such back when I was a naive kid), but it works wonders.

Now, I just play with my smart phone until I fall asleep. But then I wake up with an iPhone under my pillow or stuck to my face. Meh.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
This has probably been discussed before, but...

Is insomnia common in our type? Oftentimes, I lay awake for hours thinking, unable to stop thinking and therefore not able to drift off into a lucid dream. How do you INTP's fall asleep, and stop your endless trains of thought?
... before I know it. Lol

My thoughts don't stop, they just fade into Ne-dreams (I suppose.)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Most nights I fall asleep rather quickly. I honestly don't remember even having to think about trying to fall asleep. But that's probably because I normally spend a couple of hours getting my brain tired by going to facebook, forums and youtube. In youtube I tend to jump from one subject to another. Usually by midnight I'm rather tired.

However, some nights my brain decides to go into a boot loop and it just wont stop spinning. I've had to call in sick the next day at work sometimes when this happens because I couldn't sleep all night and my brain is then tired as heck. It has this almost nightmare quality to it. Kind of the long hallway dream where the hallway keeps getting longer, but with thoughts. It's also usually one specific thought that keeps repeating itself over and over and over.

Sometimes I'll be able to knock the brain back in the right cycle by watching something like a light comedy show, something like SCRUBS. It will sometimes make me completely relax and gets my brain back to normal mode and I can sleep. But other nights there is no stopping it and the next day I'm just useless.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I used to need everything just perfect in order to fall asleep - a massage, a large palm leaf used as a fan, probably Enya, a ripe cantaloupe and a violinist.
Last night I fell asleep and drooled on the couch catching up on Game of Thrones.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.