Personality Cafe banner

Why are you afraid of death?

• I'm afraid to die because my death would cause grief to my relatives and friends.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I'm afraid to die because all of my ambitions, my plans, my projects would come to an end.

• I'm afraid to die because I'm worried that the process of death might be painful.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I'm afraid to die because I would no longer be able to have any experiences.

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • If I died, I would no longer be able to care for my dependents.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I'm afraid to die because I'm afraid what would happen to me if there is life after death.

• I'm afraid to die because I'm afraid of what might happen to my body after I die.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I'm not afraid to die.

Votes: 21 63.6%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meaning - your own inevitable death. I feel like this subject should be less taboo to talk about because it's helpful to talk about these kinds of things instead of letting them rot in our heads (pun intended).

[I already posted this in INFP Land but I thought maybe y'all would also like to take a stab at it.]

So, some questions on the subject!

Does it scare you to think about it or are you more accepting of it? If it scares you, what would you say scares you about it? Do you feel like any of the categories that were listed in this video resonate with you? It's okay if none of them do. Feel free to share your own specific fears.

1. I'm afraid to die because my death would cause grief to my relatives and friends.
2. I'm afraid to die because all of my ambitions, my plans, my projects would come to an end.
3. I'm afraid to die because I'm worried that the process of death might be painful.
4. I'm afraid to die because I would no longer be able to have any experiences.
5. If I died, I would no longer be able to care for my dependents.
6. I'm afraid to die because I'm afraid what would happen to me if there is life after death.
7. I'm afraid to die because I'm afraid of what might happen to my body after I die.

How do you envision your funeral going? Would you prefer there to be mourning or would you rather people celebrate your life? Maybe you don't have a preference.

And lastly, how do you think you would like your remains to be cared for? Natural burial, normal? Alternatives? I've heard of being made into a tree for example: Biodegradable burial pod turns your body into a tree - CNN

Or even turning your ashes into a "LifeGem" - LifeGem - Ashes to Diamonds

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm sure there will be crying at my funeral. There's always someone crying at funerals. TBH I don't really care what goes on b/c it's not like I would be able to do anything about it. I'm all for the traditional burial in a casket. The closing of the casket is symbolic of closure (to me). I want my family & friends to have that when my day comes.

Also, I'm not afraid of death. I'd be free of all responsibilities, thoughts, opinions, etc. Everything weighing me down now.

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5 Scorpio
2,223 Posts
It would be somewhat inconvenient vis-a-vis finishing whatever projects I might be working on at the time; but I lost my fear of death years ago when I nearly bled to death in a hospital. Bring it on!

Yes, traditional mourning, please. None of this peppy "celebration of life" blather. Anyone who feels moved to celebrate my life should do it while I can still pour the champagne for them.

And traditional bodily burial in a coffin, if you don't mind...

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,475 Posts
Death is the great problem solver. You think of all the problems and challenges you have in your life, you think about whatever's giving you grief.. death is the panacean solution for all of them, whether its sickness, financial destitution, homelessness, debt, depression, loneliness; whatever. So I'm not really afraid of dying like that. I mean, why should I fear something that's going to solve all my problems? Often, I have contemplated death because it seems like the problems and emotional turmoil I am facing at that moment is so overwhelming, I find myself thinking like "I wish I died tonight in my sleep so I don't have to suffer anymore." So my attitude towards death definitely is not one of fear and dread, I don't think. Nobody who is unhappy in their life has any reason to dread it!

I don't welcome it with open arms however. It's more like, if it happens it happens, everyone's got to go out somehow at some time. I just don't want to go out like a chump. There's certain things worth dying for. Dying in a car crash, or being shot in a street beef, or from illness, or like those unfortunate concert-goers at Las Vegas, or something of that nature is just such a waste. I got certain things I want to do, and it would be frustrating to not be able to complete my purpose because I died over some bullshit. If I'm to go out, I want to go out like Marat or Trotsky, murdered for my revolutionary activity!

Philosophically I reject any materialistic notion of "you only live once and then it's non-existence." I will go into that a little later. I also want to add that I reject any western religious notion of created souls which can be "sold" and "redeemed" as though they were commodities being exchanged in a stock market. Christianity, Judaism and Islam have such childish and totally wrong understandings of death (well, of everything, but this post is about death so I'll stick to death). And what is the price of my soul? Where is the stock exchange where I can go trade it? What are my annual dividends from my ownership of my soul? Where do I get vouchers to redeem more souls? Is it a sound investment? What do the leading experts predict the future of the soul market will be? Should I sell now or buy up some more because souls are forecast to be increasing in value? Fucking idiots :laughing: you are not created or caused, you are everlasting and eternal, you are god!

Before anybody accuses me of bias, let me state I hold eastern religions in very nearly as much contempt as I do western religions; Buddhism for instance is such an evil idea with its karmic reincarnation. So those unfortunate people in Las Vegas deserved their fates because of some apparent crime committed in a prior incarnation? What a disgusting thing to say. And yet, that is eastern religion's conception of death and rebirth. The only way in which they are superior to western religions is at least they have a decent grasp of what the soul is, and that's not a bloody manufactured product to be bought and sold through a free market, but an intrinsic and inalienable part of the Godhead. Eastern religions get some grudging credit from me for being right about at least one thing.

Now that we have eliminated tedious, small-minded and fundamentally incorrect scientific materialistic understandings of the concept of death, as well as the downright evil religious understandings of death, let's move on to something meaningful; rationalist philosophy. I wrote on this topic a few weeks ago in the Random Thoughts Thread. I shall now reproduce it. I hope that the argument's adamantine grounding in reason and logic are enough to inform people about the truth of the matter of death. There is reincarnation, but it is not karmically determined whatsoever as eastern religions would hold.

Q. How do you prove reincarnation is real?

A. How do you prove 'yolo' is real? If you only live once, then when you die, you are non-existent. That would mean non-existence exists, which is an absolutely bizarre paradox. Non-existence cannot possibly exist. The very definition of the term 'non-existence' is that which does not exist. How can non-existence then exist? It doesn't! If non-existence itself exists, then all things which are non-existent also exist, which is a completely ridiculous thing to say. Obviously non-existence does not exist. Nothing existing can become non-existent - things are either non-existent forever (like my sex life)*, or they exist forever (like my mind). Therefore, when you die, you cannot become non-existent; you still exist on some level because you obviously existed before, so you must exist forever.

Now coming to reincarnation, if you are forever extant and have latched onto a body before, what's the reason you won't do so again after your host body becomes unfit for occupation? There is no reason for the process of latching onto a body to be a one-off. Therefore it will happen again. And this means we will reincarnate.

* First of all, I was just playing, you know I'm knocking boots. Second of all, it shows the distinction we have to make when we discuss existence and non-existence. Everything conceivable exists in terms of potentiality. The law I stated regarding existence & non-existence does not apply to things which supervene on fundamental substances. Therefore my sex life can be non-existent today and existent tomorrow, or the Roman Empire can be existent yesterday and be non-existent today. They have potential existentiality. Life itself is not something that supervenes on the fundamental substance - it is the subjective experiences of life which do supervene, and that means things like sex lives and empires and whatever else is capable of existing one day but not the next. Life IS the fundamental substance.

N.B. I understand this is only a philosophical proof based on abstract reason, arrived at a priori wholly independent of any scientific evidence. Oh, so what's up? You going to question my epistemology? You going to say you want empirical scientific evidence? Alright then partna, if it's on motherfucker, then it's on, G!

Where's the empirical scientific evidence for the existence of non-existence? What is the atomic mass of death? What is its atomic configuration, how many protons and neutrons and electrons does death have? What other elements can it bond with, and what is the configuration of those atomic bonds? What are the freezing, melting, and evaporation points of death? What is the half-life of death? (What a majestic pun that made) I WANT TO SEE DEATH. I WANT TO TOUCH AND MEASURE THE STATE OF NON-EXISTENCE OTHERWISE IT DOESN'T EXIST NANANANA - there we go, I've become a fucking imbecile scientific materialist, and I have defeated their absurd, childish 'seeing is believing' epistemology by using it against their own claims. YO, WHAT'S UP NOW, PARTNA? You picked the wrong brother to fuck with!

Me riding on materialism like Ilena cousin riding on Caine

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Interesting questions! I don't know if you meant this just for INFJs or not so I hope you don't mind if I respond (and I didn't vote in the poll) but this is very interesting to think about. :blushed:

I'm not really afraid of the idea of dying in general, in the way that I know it's going to happen one day(assuming science doesn't catch up to this in the next 50 or 60 years or so.)

I don't like the idea of dying tonight or tomorrow though and that idea is scary. If I found out I would die tomorrow I would likely be terrified. To me, the idea of imminent death is still so far off that it doesn't even really seem real, so that's why I'm probably not that afraid of it.

Though I would say I'm even more frightened by the idea that people close to me could die at any moment, or that they could even be dead right now and I just haven't heard yet.

For the most part though, no matter how bad life can feel at time I do very much enjoy living and enjoy the prospect that things can always improve and the prospect of the many people I'm going to meet, but haven't met yet and the experiences I'm going to experience, but haven't yet.

1. I'm afraid to die because my death would cause grief to my relatives and friends.

This is probably one of the major aspects that makes me dislike the idea of dying. It doesn't necessarily contribute to my fear of death, however, but it's more of a depressing aspect of it.

2. I'm afraid to die because all of my ambitions, my plans, my projects would come to an end.

Again, this doesn't make me afraid of death, but more just seeing death as an inconvenience and more depressing to think about, though less depressing than above.

3. I'm afraid to die because I'm worried that the process of death might be painful.

Now this is a major one. I would say this is less depressing than 1 & 2, but much more connected to fear. Of course, this depends on the method of death. I'm much more afraid of a death full of emotional pain than I am physical pain, but I suppose the two coincide. If I did die soon, I would really hope I had no idea that it happened. The idea of realizing I'm about to die in a matter of minutes and waiting for it to finally happen is a terrifying thought. Also, getting murdered by someone or killed by an animal makes this aspect much more terrifying. So, yeah, I would say this one is more terrifying than the first two but less depressing and this is a major one that leads to my fear of death.

4. I'm afraid to die because I would no longer be able to have any experiences.

Yes, another major one. Though, I would say this is more of a combination of frightening/depressing, and not pure depressing (like 1 and 2) or pure fear(like 3). I mean, experiences are really the only thing I have in life, and if I wasn't afraid of not experiencing things I'd probably have no will to live. To me, life is nothing but experiences and the exciting prospect of new experiences. Whenever things turn south it's because I forget about the prospect of new experiences. So yes, this is a major one.

5. If I died, I would no longer be able to care for my dependents.

I don't have any dependents, so I can't really say for this one. Though, seriously, this is one reason I don't have a dog or a cat or other pet as much as I love animals. Because I could die and not be discovered for a while, and then I'm worried the pet would starve to death or die of thirst in the time it took for me to be discovered.

6. I'm afraid to die because I'm afraid what would happen to me if there is life after death.

Partly. I lean towards the idea that nothing happens after death but, of course, there's no way to tell. This can affect the fear/depression levels of the other points, as well. If it's a neutral afterlife where I can witness everything, it would make 1 more depressing and fearful(I don't know if that's selfish to say or not :blushed:) but it would also make 4 less fearful/depressing because I could still have experiences. Also, this might make 3 worse as I would be able to remember the pain.

The scariest thing is a negative afterlife not based on actions/deeds or how good/bad you are but only belief. I can't say eternal torment isn't scary, no matter how unlikely I think it is.

7. I'm afraid to die because I'm afraid of what might happen to my body after I die.

Not really. I'm honestly not all that concerned about it.

I'm not all that concerned with how my remains are cared for. I like the idea of donating my body to science. I don't see the point of funeral rituals or burials, though I can definitely understand why others see them as important. I think burying bodies came more from decomposition being too disturbing to witness and the need to not attract dangerous predators. I guess it really depends on what the people around me want to do. I'm not going to protest a burial if that makes the people around me happy, but I like the idea of donating my body to science more and I would think the people close to me would be fine with some sort of ritual without my body present.

Of course, this is all assuming the people close to me aren't dead already as almost all of them are much older than me and assuming that I become closer to more people between now and my death.

I don't like the idea of people mourning too much, I would hope they would appreciate my sense of humor enough to only make fun of me and joke about my death. I've already discussed this with family members that they have to do this at my funeral, even though I honestly don't care that much.

I was seriously thinking about something along the lines of this:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I chose other due to me not feeling like I've satisfied my curiosity about existence or have learned enough. I believe that I will see all my loved ones in the afterlife, but I am a fan of this life and I'm not ready to go to the next level just yet. There is always wisdom to gain and I'm too thrilled to gain as much knowledge as I can possibly gain. I suppose that I'm not afraid to die, but I just don't want to go for several more years. I'm much more scared of my loved ones dying. I mourn pets terribly. I can't even imagine the devastation if anyone I deeply care about dies before me. Ideally, in a perfect world, we all go at the exact same moment.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I don't like talking about death. It feels a bit too morbid for my tastes. That said, we're all already dead, aren't we? Just by the deign of being alive, we guarantee that we will face death. So why worry about something you cannot change, let alone determine when and where it will come? Furthermore, I have my faith on what I believe will come after that last moment passes, but does it matter if I wake up in Valhalla, am pulled into the inferno of Hell, or wink out of existence entirely? It's not like I'd be able to change anything at that moment anyway.

I dunno, I think I'm much more of the idea that I'd rather worry about living my life well enough that I'm remembered fondly/hilariously, rather than obsessing about an end that is simply part of the eternal cycle and rhythm of the universe itself? I'll begrudge no one their feelings on the topic, but my advice would be to just relax and try to live the best life you can. The rest will sort itself out one way or another.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I'm not afraid to die. I've had some pretty intense experiences with death's doors and all it did was re-bolster my will to live with the unfortunate side effect of shattering my spiritual belief.

As such I no longer believe in an afterlife so once I'm gone it's over. I can only hope that eventually my atoms are reabsorbed by whatever plant matter is around me where I am buried and I could help them flourish to a degree.

I guess my perspective would change once I have dependents. I can only hope in that event I would have build up some fail safes and procedures to help alleviate the loss a bit.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm not afraid of dying but I fear being terribly ill and NOT dying. That's worse than death!

I've thought about death since I was 5yo and was first exposed to the concept of death. It was initially a terrible thought to me and I lost sleep over it because someone told me that to die means to completely disappear from this earth like... "POOF" and we become nothing. I didn't like that idea. But now I don't believe it anymore.

I sometimes think that death will be a relief for me because I so hate this existence, yet when I see friends and loved ones suffering from terminal illnesses, I told myself that I should treasure this life I'm given. And whenever I look at the night sky full of stars, the beautiful ocean, or when I stand on top of a mountain, I feel that I love this world despite all its imperfections.

I worked in the healthcare industry for 10yrs so the concept of death is nothing taboo among my peers. We talk about it once in awhile and share our views. Most of us are unafraid of death as we've seen so much sufferings in hospitals - people who cling to their last breath with no quality of life. To us, that's worse than actually dying. We've also had dialogue sessions with elderly patients on the issue of death because at their age, they actually think about it a lot but won't verbalise it which is bad for emotional well-being. Many elderly we spoke to expressed that their top most concern is the management of their assets after their death (very realistic & practical people, lol), more than the actual dying. All they wish for is a dignified death.

When I leave this world, I wish that it will be painless. I don't want people to mourn me, but that they will remember me fondly despite my flaws. I wish that I would have left good memories for them, more good than bad. I read about the biodegradable burial pod and I think it's cool. That's my preferred burial method for now.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Not really afraid to die. Death could come any second, so we can't really predict it. Once death comes, we won't be there to witness it. We won't be witnessing the pain of death, because that's life. We won't be participating in the grief of our close ones. I wouldn't care what happened to my body, either, because I'm not there anymore. I'll just have to arrange things to the best of my abilities. Cessation of experiences would be a shame, but, again, I wouldn't be there to know it.

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
yeah im not afraid to die anymore.. probably because im not anymore young.. (although im really young, okay. XD)

but, its like, im not afraid anymore because, like who really cares??? XD everyone dies, when someone hears it, they will get sad. but they will soon get over it after a year, then, youll soon be started to forget.. and after 30 years, your death means nothing anymore.. after 50 years, your memories to other people are erased. then after 100 years... you didnt seem exist.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Does it scare you to think about it or are you more accepting of it? If it scares you, what would you say scares you about it? Do you feel like any of the categories that were listed in this video resonate with you? It's okay if none of them do. Feel free to share your own specific fears.

How do you envision your funeral going? Would you prefer there to be mourning or would you rather people celebrate your life? Maybe you don't have a preference.

And lastly, how do you think you would like your remains to be cared for? Natural burial, normal? Alternatives? I've heard of being made into a tree for example: Biodegradable burial pod turns your body into a tree - CNN

Or even turning your ashes into a "LifeGem" - LifeGem - Ashes to Diamonds
Sometimes i get panic attacks. Life is the best thing that could ever happen to me and the awareness of non-existing forever, just freaks me out. It may happen while driving, while sleeping, while eating. It's just a sudden realization and I've learnt to quickly make my mind busy with other immediate stuff. Of course i'm scared of it happening in a painful way, and I'm sad about all the unfinished plans. But mostly it's just about the awareness (and probably not-acceptance) that one day I won't exist anymore forever.

I'd like something happy as I don't like sad feelings and negativities. Something a-religious, that celebrates life.

The concept of your death practically being useful and in a way becoming part of another life is the one I prefer more. At least being used as fertilizer or some shit like that. Becoming one with earth and be part of it. Transforming into something that keeps living...

Though, interestingly, I don't have problems joking or talking about morbid stuff. I can be unfazed by other people's deaths, I just see it as it is. *shrugs*

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
How do I feel about death?

Eh. It's a thing. I suppose I was afraid of dying when I was a kid (or at least afraid of someone killing me) but after getting to the teen years, I didn't really see it as a big deal. Mostly because I finally had that realization that if I were dead... a lot of the stuff I worried about (concerning death) wouldn't mean a damn thing to me, cuz I'd be unawares, being dead and all.

I actually wonder far more about life than about death. Death is nothingness and life is well... life, right? I don't necessarily contemplate the meaning of life as I don't think there's really a lot of meaning to it, honestly, but I do sometimes wonder why I'm here. I mean, outside of the biology of it all... the parents bumping uglies bit.

Why am I, just an ordinary joe, even here to begin with? Don't know the answer to that. Well, I do. I'm here cuz two parental types bumped uglies and viola! there I am.

As far as the after bits; I'd rather folks just threw a party or something. Drink and dance and have a good time. I've tried to convince everyone I know (minus my parents) to give me Sharpie tattoos during the viewing. I don't know what that thought amuses me so much, but it really does.

I don't really like the idea of being roasted to ashes after the being dead bit. Though I think a proper burial with the casket and all that is a bit silly. Do people even visit graves anymore? I suppose some due. I gave up on that when they started piling up. But I guess I'd go with that instead of being ashified. If for no other reason that I'd not want any Sharpie tattoos to go to waste.

I'm on the back nine of this particular course. I figure I got... 20-25 yrs left here, if I'm lucky. More (or less) if I'm not. Which is ok, as I don't think I'd want to live much longer than that, anyway. ​*shrugs*

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
Death is a natural part of life:

«The flowers bloom, then wither …the stars shine and one day become extinct …This earth, the sun, the galaxies and even the big universe someday will be destroyed …Compared with that the human life is only a blink, just a little time …In that short time, the people are born, laugh, cry, fight, are injured, feel joy, sadness, hate someone, love someone. All in just a moment. And then, are embraced by the eternal sleep called death»

—Virgo Shaka: Saint Seiya

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
INFJ says: "1, 2, and 4, but mostly 1 if I had to pick. 5 doesn't apply otherwise maybe. But I wouldn't say I'm really afraid of death, just that I would much rather live for now."

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lately I've been worrying quite a bit about what happens after death. Interestingly enough, I've had some fairly powerful spiritual experiences where it's been affirmed to me that there is, indeed, a life after death - and that there's nothing to be afraid of at all. Lately, however, I've been doubting my interpretation of said experiences - which causes me a fair amount of anxiety and fear. Furthermore, even when I assume my interpretation of said experiences is correct, I still realize that I don't have all the information, and I start wondering about the possibility of spiritual death - which also causes me a fair amount of fear and anxiety.

But to take a broader perspective, I've had periods in my life when I'm unafraid of death, followed by periods when I'm fearful about death, which are then followed by periods when I'm unafraid again. It's all pretty cyclical.

·
Banned
601 Posts
I am rather hesitant to admit that I have a deeply ingrained fear of death. Whenever I think of death, it is almost accompanied with the sense of fear, and the realization "That no amount of personal possessions, no amount of personal experiences, nothing can stop the endless void." The reason I feel fear, is the thought of me lying still in my grave, unmoving, unaware, unconscious, and unable to comprehend or do anything. I would be stuck in a wooden box, and everything you have accomplished in your life is meaningless, as once you stop living.. and at this point I am struck by fear (in-real-life). Past this thought I cannot explain it, but suddenly I feel crippled by fear.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts