Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally don't like them and I get a little skeeved by their owners.

I just notice a trend with snake and tarantula owners (I'm not stating this as fact lol), I won't go into detail but I usually don't like them.

At the same time I feel like many INTPs might be into keeping exotic pets o_O

So are you?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I don't think its ethical.

Its different from keeping a regular domesticated pet, because domesticated pets have been domesticated over thousands of years, and they are now actually dependent upon humans for their survival. There is an epidemic of neglected strays because of what humans have done to domesticate them, but they can't seem to be responsible enough to ensure their survival now that they have become dependent upon them. Its wasteful and selfish. It seems to me that those pets thrive when they have the affections of a human, and the safety of their home, because otherwise they are left to survive in forests that are stripped of the critters that these animals would usually eat, because of human civilization, urban sprawl.. and threats from traffic running them over.

So, some people want more exotic pets because they fancy themselves to be more unique or different.. but those animals are not afflicted with domestication, and thrive better in the wild.

Its even more selfish and disgusting to take the freedom away from one of these animals just to have it as some novelty so their hipster or ******* friends think they're kewl yo.

Only exceptions I would find, are in those exotic pets who have some kind of handicap so that they could not survive in the wild.

Reactions: nadjasix

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm ok with a cat or a dog ... or a hamster. Gerbils are as 'exotic' as I'd get.
At this current moment, I only own a dust bunny ... and he keeps running away, so I think I may have to give him up for adoption. I don't know what I'd do if he ever got hurt on my watch.

Reactions: Ablysmal

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I like cats. I'm fine with just being a cat person, I don't feel the need to have glowing kittens either (although that would be pretty amazing).
I'd just like to have a fluffy kitty who will walk all over my back because I like the feeling, be furry, will get hair everywhere, will be their own individual (dogs are... Too loyal, it's weird), and will be named after a genre of music.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Im not INTP but i think that alot of the time the owners are reckless and selfish in keeping wild animals that arent usually domestic animals. Like people owning jungle cats, pythons, or alligators. i tend to not have much empathy for the idiots when they get mauled.

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Or a baby ducky. I had plans to jack an egg from a nest on the side of my house, but she abandoned the nest before I could.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My family is big on hybrid-breed cats. We have 2 savannah cats and 2 bengals. I'm not sure whether you'd even classify them as exotic, but they're all the sweetest cats in the world. The savannahs are especially personable. I think fennec foxes are pretty neat as well, but I've never handled one, so I don't know about their temperament.

Here's a picture of the two savannahs together; Dexter (back), and Seamus (front). Tigger the bengal is also lurking below them. Outdoor cat enclosure built using this stuff and zip ties, with a window mounted kitty door.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Some people classify ferrets as exotic, but by @Promethea's definition I guess they wouldn't be problematic since, except for the black-footed American variety, ferrets can't live in the wild since they've been domesticated for so long.

I had two :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't get the appeal. I can't even think of them as pets, they're just wild animals you happen to cage and own. I've always had dogs though and I'm a huge dog person, so I do need a connection with my pet.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I think that if the owner provides a decent living environment and is responsible, then it may be alright.

I always wanted a fennec fox though.

But I think I'll stick with my cats.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I would be happy to be an exotic pet for a gorilla.

Reactions: qingdom

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
My family is big on hybrid-breed cats. We have 2 savannah cats and 2 bengals. I'm not sure whether you'd even classify them as exotic, but they're all the sweetest cats in the world. The savannahs are especially personable. I think fennec foxes are pretty neat as well, but I've never handled one, so I don't know about their temperament.

Here's a picture of the two savannahs together; Dexter (back), and Seamus (front). Tigger the bengal is also lurking below them. Outdoor cat enclosure built using this stuff and zip ties, with a window mounted kitty door.

Wait, you named your cat Dexter. That's a whole new level of WTF.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Only exceptions I would find, are in those exotic pets who have some kind of handicap so that they could not survive in the wild.
I wouldn't mind a pet direwolf. Sadly they only exist in the lands of Westeros.

Or perhaps even a pet dragon. Sadly those only exist in the lands of (insert fantasy realm here).

However, if this were the Island of Dr. Moreau, I wouldn't mind myself a bunny-fennec fox-wolf hybrid.

I'm allergic to cats, btw. I find this out the hard way going to my friends' house and sit.... then get all teary eyed and irritated after a half hour or so... and then... I'd have to excuse myself for fresh air before i totally break down in confusion and lunacy.

Article, related: http://gizmodo.com/5904508/meet-rooseveltthe-bi+pedal-off+roading-border-collie/gallery/1

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had 2 iguanas when I was growing up but we didn't get them under normal circumstances. My mother is an animal lover (and doesn't discriminate based on cuteness) and her friend told her about this man he worked for trying to get rid of an iguana he had. This iguana was being mistreated because it wasn't given proper food (only iceburg lettuce) and being kept in a basement with improper heating/lighting equipment. When we got her she had a huge burn on her side because the (improper) lights were kept on the floor and she curled up to one to get warm, getting a severe 3rd degree burn that wasn't being treated. Needless to say we couldn't leave her in this condition.

People who get exotic pets or any pets and don't look into how they should properly be cared for disgust me immensely. To this day I believe that man should be kept in a cold basement with only a garden spot lamp for warmth and only fed iceberg lettuce, while trying to deal with an untreated 3rd degree burn.

Don't worry, the iguana with the burns lived a happy six years longer being pampered and regularly enjoyed her favorite foods of pizza and Doritos.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Wait, you named your cat Dexter. That's a whole new level of WTF.
He's a crazed killer.

In all honesty, I think it's a great name in general. It derives from "dexterous," meaning "meticulous," or "good with one's hands".

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
We've kept "exotic" pets by some people's standards, but the snakes were relatively domesticated natives of the state I grew up in and the hedgehogs and guinea pigs are both species that would never survive in the wild here. Of the three, I think I enjoyed the hedgehogs the most. I'll probably get a hedgehog or two in the future if I can find a reputable breeder I like.

The snakes were interesting creatures, but I will admit that feeding them live mice was a bit terrifying and having them escape from their enclosures and curl up next to me on a cold winter's night? Not exactly very comforting.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts