Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made my first facebook in 2007 but deleted it in 2010 because I honestly couldn't stand half of the people I was friends with, and facebook annoyed me.

I finally remade one last September and it's really private, I hide pretty much everything and I use my middle name as my last name.

I feel tempted to delete it again because I just feel tired of it. At the same time though it's nice to be able to catch up with certain people.

/long story no one cares about.

Point is, how do you feel about facebook?
:kitteh:

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's quite useful for keeping connected with interesting people ... I tend to delete people who make no effort to contact me within 3 weeks of adding them and with whom I have no real life contact. This helps clean up the clutter and annoyance of seeing uninterest blibber-glabber that gets most 'likes'.

I basically keep in contact with people I care about and delete the rest. I have 44 friends ... 3 of which are probably going down in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Facebook is like my guilty pleasure. As much as I can't stand the people on it, I enjoy stalking people.

And it doesn't hurt to share my pointlessly entertaining observations with the world either. "When your computer asks you a yes or no question, just X it out, because yes or no just isn't good enough."

No one appreciates the things that amuse me.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's quite useful for keeping connected with interesting people ... I tend to delete people who make no effort to contact me within 3 weeks of adding them and with whom I have no real life contact. This helps clean up the clutter and annoyance of seeing uninterest blibber-glabber that gets most 'likes'.

I basically keep in contact with people I care about and delete the rest. I have 44 friends ... 3 of which are probably going down in 2 weeks.
I'm the same way, I only add a very small section of people I know, I have 62 friends which I do hide.
Even with having 62 friends I unsubscribed from a few because they kept clogged up my news feed.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Facebook is like my guilty pleasure. As much as I can't stand the people on it, I enjoy stalking people.

And it doesn't hurt to share my pointlessly entertaining observations with the world either. "When your computer asks you a yes or no question, just X it out, because yes or no just isn't good enough."

No one appreciates the things that amuse me.
Aye, aye. It can get a bit annoying at times ... but we keep on holding on to the hope that maybe someday, someone would see the world as we do and thus facebook prospers.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I much prefer google+. I've heard facebook has since replicated the circles concept, but oh well. I would really like a non-corporate social networking thing. I trust google more than facebook, but that's not saying much. I heard Anonymous was working on one, but haven't heard anything new about it for a while. I have heard of Diaspora, but it sounds like it's in early early alpha. Until a non-corporate facebook comes along, I'm sticking with google+.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Reactions: kyliecarefree

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Only during stalking of ultimate proportions.
Eh, never been in that situation. I usually jump between trees when following someone.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hate it. Much prefer it here. I worked in a strip club for a long time. As soon as I activated FB, then next day I had over 50? emails with friend requests from people that thought I could get them in the with girls. Soon it was every girl I ever dated and every guy I ever knew wanting to be my 'friend'. Plus everyone wants to bring me back to the extrovert gossip social club I walked away from. Plus you gotta censor yourself or you can be fired, arrested, etc.

My friend went to jail because of FB. He violated his probation for drinking and driving by posting one FB picture of him drinking a beer. On the positive side, he finally quit giving me that, "You GOTTA be on FB" line.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hate it. Much prefer it here. I worked in a strip club for a long time. As soon as I activated FB, then next day I had over 50? emails with friend requests from people that thought I could get them in the with girls. Soon it was every girl I ever dated and every guy I ever knew wanting to be my 'friend'. Plus everyone wants to bring me back to the extrovert gossip social club I walked away from. Plus you gotta censor yourself or you can be fired, arrested, etc.

My friend went to jail because of FB. He violated his probation for drinking and driving by posting one FB picture of him drinking a beer. On the positive side, he finally quit giving me that, "You GOTTA be on FB" line.
I'm the same way in that sense, I hate having to sensor myself because of certain people. Especially since I'm only 19 and living at home, my mom can so easily creep my facebook (which she does, I've caught her several times.) and that annoys me.
With my old facebook I had over 600 friends and I disliked 90% of them.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Facebook has made an economy out of exploiting social relationships. Previous to the social networking craze, businesses had to phone, mail, or go door to door surveying to find out the interest of the average joe and how best to profit off those interests. But now, information is given out for free by its consumers in exchange for the illusion of social contact. It is one giant data mining site making millions and millions of dollars by taking consumer information and using that to predict future marketing trends. Heh, its like playing holdem and showing one of your hole cards to your opponent. Anyway, this type of social datamining will be the industry standard for all businesses in the future. Companies who know this and are ahead of the curb (Amazon, IBM) have already purchased warehouses full of hard drives that store nothing but raw information, waiting to analyzed in order to find consumer weaknesses. Information is power, and giving information away for free...Well, I don't even know what to think of that. The average facebook user does not even realize this is the game they are playing.

Oh btw I use facebook you guys can add me anytime!

·
Social Pyromaniac
477 Posts
I despise Facebook.

I had 110 friends. I deactivated it. I went on an eight month sabbatical. I reactivated. I saw the same shit I hated eight months before. I deactivated it for a second time for good.

Facebook and I just do not get along.

It's all about social formalities and keeping "friendships" alive that died along time ago, and most likely for a good reason. We stopped talking to each other for a reason. We've drifted apart, we've become different people, and we don't have as much in common as we used to. In fact, we never had that much in common to begin with. Our last names were just next to each other alphabetically. Sorry high school bff.

It's all about sharing every conceivable detail about yourself to people you barely know *cough*including advertising companies*cough* I hate telling people what my major is. I hate telling people what my middle name is. I hate answering the question "what have you been up to?". So you can only imagine the repugnance I feel towards seeing "RogueWave wrote on *Dingleberry McTwatwaffle's wall"

*as you can see, I love my "friends"

Facebook is about quantity over quality. In every aspect. More friends=better. More statuses=better. More likes=better. It's faster. It's more efficient. It's more convenient. The fundamental principles underlying McDonald's and WalMart have now been brought to your personal life. Congratulations.

But you can share quirky little tidbits from your "epic" adventures to Denny's and homespun pieces of wisdom (or shit you ripped from brainyquote.com, either way I don't care, you're still an asshole) Or a "sweet" pic of that "awesome" pizza you made! Sure it's pretty much just a pita pocket with some cheese and sauce spooged on it that any 9-year-old home alone could have made, but that's not important. What is important is that we all know what a gourmet you are. Bravo.

Ladies and gentlemen, you don't share thoughts on Facebook, you share "McThoughts" on Facebook. Any bout of mental flatulence is broadcasted. Again, this places me at odds with FB. I have this crazy habit of only speaking when I feel as if I have something worth saying, and I only say it after I'm sure it's exactly the way I want to say it. (as of right now, it's taken me 15 minutes to type this post)

I don't have mental flatulence. I have long periods of mental constipation punctuated with mental diarrhea.

Facebook is all about people. I do not understand people (never have, probably never will) Therefore, I do not understand Facebook.

I do not understand why you post that same song lyric once every five days even though no one ever likes it. Ever. Actually, come to think of it, you and that lyric have a lot in common. Maybe that's why.

I do not understand why people like the stupid shit they like from people they barely know. I guess it's to keep the acquaintanceship alive.

I will not, nor will I ever, go to see your show. Your band sucks and you're a bassist . . . that's IDGAF squared.

Mark Zuckerberg once said in an interview that Facebook's goal was to make everything "social" and went on to say:

"Do you want to go to the movies by yourself," he asked recently, "or do you want to go to the movies with your friends?" His answer: "You want to go with your friends."

Oh Mark Zuckerberg, how you don't know me.

I'm not trying to be the seething loaner. I'm not trying to be holier than thou (well maybe a little). I'm not trying to be cool. I'm just trying to be myself.

And as an asocial introvert, this is an increasingly difficult task in the age of ubersocial hive mind.

So Zucky, thanks, but no thanks. I'll go to the movies by myself.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Facebook is about quantity over quality. In every aspect. More friends=better. More statuses=better. More likes=better. It's faster. It's more efficient. It's more convenient. The fundamental principles underlying McDonald's and WalMart have now been brought to your personal life. Congratulations.
It doesnt have to because you dont need to make it a competition. If you make a it a competition more will always be better. But why should you make it a competition?

Just take it for what it is. A good way to follow close friends and it turns out to be something practical. Especially for an introvert.

If someone judge you because you have to few friends on facebook or whatever and stay out for that reason. Well good, because I dont want any such people in my life.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Facebook has made an economy out of exploiting social relationships. Previous to the social networking craze, businesses had to phone, mail, or go door to door surveying to find out the interest of the average joe and how best to profit off those interests. But now, information is given out for free by its consumers in exchange for the illusion of social contact. It is one giant data mining site making millions and millions of dollars by taking consumer information and using that to predict future marketing trends. Heh, its like playing holdem and showing one of your hole cards to your opponent. Anyway, this type of social datamining will be the industry standard for all businesses in the future. Companies who know this and are ahead of the curb (Amazon, IBM) have already purchased warehouses full of hard drives that store nothing but raw information, waiting to analyzed in order to find consumer weaknesses. Information is power, and giving information away for free...Well, I don't even know what to think of that. The average facebook user does not even realize this is the game they are playing.

Oh btw I use facebook you guys can add me anytime!
I saw a speech once by a private detective, and a large part of it was about FB. According to him, his job has gotten way easier. Back in the day, they had to go to the license bureau just to know what the person they wanted to find looked like. Now they have recent pics, favorite acquaintances, favorite hangouts, the way you dress, etc. Current and free information. In most cases, it tells them everything they need to know.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.