Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an INFP I've always felt like I see the world a lot starker and emotionally-fueled then others, or otherwise completely empty and grey, y'know? I'm always trying to find a medium between the two, so when drugs emphasize one of these I feel trapped, like I'm almost drowning in too much of everything and I feel like I'm suffocating

Most of the time it comes to the point where I feel music and colours and peoples' expressions so hard it's almost painful...and it's like, I've never met anyone like this except one other INFP.

So I was wondering what you guys think? Have any of you ever had any experience with this?

It just seems so unfair to have been dealt this kind of personality that conflicts with what I want to feel. It's like losing the lottery, which is how I feel sometimes about being a part of such a tiny percentage of introverts haha : P

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I found with hallucinogenic drugs, I was able to have "spiritual" experiences, while most other people I knew didn't. They also had more of a negative impact on me than most of the people around me. I'm now quite anti-drug use. I'm not authoritarian about it, and I am strongly against treating drug users as criminals, but I do think drugs are damaging, both mentally and physically. I also don't buy all the spiritualism, mind expansion, saving the world, stuff that surrounds the use of hallucinogenic drugs and it bothers me that those kind of messages may encourage people to take them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm really interested. I'm fascinated by perception and suchlike, so I do want to do this in the near future, although I'd be really picky about location/company/etc.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I experimented with drugs and all I got was an addiction that justified itself with clichés such as "mind expansion", "spiritual tools", "helps me relax", "it's mother nature's gift to us" and other redundant nonsense that was code for "I'm a weak-willed idiot that would rather cover up my problems than deal with them."

It's quite horrifying how repelling drugs are once you stop relying on them to live life. The bullshit that comes out of people who try and justify their substance abuse is only the tip of the iceberg - I've got no problem with using drugs, but lying to yourself and others about why you use them is a serious problem - I don't know a single drug user who isn't a deeply unhappy individual that covers it up with occasional to chronic use, even if it's just a spliff once or twice a week. The most mellow potheads I know can turn into cranky, hate filled little wankers when their supply goes dry, and they usually preach to people about spirituality.

I have a friend who has smoked weed every day since he was 12. He's now 31. Two days ago he told me he was giving up (my house mate, who'se known him for much longer, said it's not even worth making fun of these exclamations anymore, because they happen so often). Yesterday, he booked a hotel in Amsterdam for a week in September and bought a quarter ounce for 50% more than it was worth...and a few years ago I would have done the same. It's disturbing.

Having said all that, drugs are wonderful. We wouldn't use them if they weren't. Weed, crack, pills, speed, shrooms, acid, DMT...it's all a big pile of happy smiles and love until you start chasing the happy smiles and love and turn into Gollum. I think a lot of people would benefit from a good acid trip, unfortunately those who would benefit most probably couldn't handle it in the long run and fall into my category of chasing the experience over and over until there's nothing left. Being clear headed and enjoying life is much better than any drug I could invent, because they are fleeting experiences whereas reality is not.

The fact that you can experience things like LSD psychedelics, cannabis time/space warping and ecstasy cuddle puddle feelings entirely sober is reason enough to stay away from drugs...but fear should not be a reason for avoiding something, so all I really advocate is being aware. The most harmless drugs (weed/acid etc) will fuck up anyone if abused, and abuse is a master of hiding in plain sight.

When you get the message, rip the phone out of the wall and stamp on it with extreme prejudice. Thankyou, Alan Watts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only drug I've ever tried is Marijuana and although it has many pros it conflicts with my idealistic views. For example, when I'm high I get extremely relaxed and lose all of my shyness. It also makes me take life less seriously and feel free from my social awkwardness. However, being an insufferable idealist, I believe that I should be able to obtain all of those effects by myself without needing the help of any mind alerting drug through mental training, meditation, and closeness to God and although it takes a lot of work, it still can be achieved but it's difficult maintaining it because it requires a very strong will and determination. I feel like marijuana is an easy way out for me to relax when I'm extremely stressed out...As of now, however, I'm at conflict as to whether I should stop or continue using marijuana.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
hhhmm Some of them I would be willing to try in a friendly setting where I have a person who remains sober that I can trust. Other than that I ain't going out of my way to find it. It's like it'd have to stumble into my life and I think it's a good time for it.

·
Registered
16,170 Posts
I think they are great for other people, but I would rather just read about everyone else's experiences with DMT, peyote, ayahuasca, 'shrooms. In my 20s I smoked pot a few times and although listening to music via my headphones was a magical experience, I didn't like the side effects. I'm not too much of an "experiencer" in the drug use area, more of an avid reader of *experiences*.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Never experienced drugs. Have contemplated it before, but in the end all I see it as is hugging death and hoping death won't drag you with it after it's got a pull on you. In a way, after thinking about it, I find drugs to be a lie like the experience isn't genuine so I wouldn't want to do it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
While I have never taken any form of drugs myself, I take a very anti addictive drug stance in almost all cases. My brother started smoking weed when he was around twelve and ended up being a meth addict by the time he was 16 years old. It tore my family life apart, and changed the person I once looked up to into the monster under my bed, so to speak. While I'm sure the experience is wonderful and expanding to the individual taking the drugs, the effect it leaves on loved ones around them is a very hard scar on the heart to heal. This is especially true if children are involved, as I have witnessed so many instances of parents spending their money just to obtain the next fix instead of spending it on something that could impact the child's life in a positive way. Though, you could easily say this about alcohol too. Never understood why people separate alcohol and drugs in conversation, because both mess with your body and can become a habit that drains the bank.

Drug users also need to be aware of where exactly their drugs are coming from. If we weren't demanding illegal drugs in such a large amount, very dangerous groups wouldn't have near the influence they do and the world would be a safer place. You can disagree, but I've known several people who have lost loved ones to attacks in deals gone wrong. There's also the argument that if they were legalized, violence like this would stop as well and we wouldn't have to spend so much on our prison systems, but idealistic me still is screaming think of the children lol! Yet again, I'm still trying to figure out where I stand completely on this issue by looking at how alcohol has been in the past. Once it was legalized after prohibition, it seemed like a lot of the violence associated with gangs distributing the stuff died away. It's a hard choice, but ultimately it seems like you can't avoid violence no matter the situation just because people are going to do what they want.

HOWEVER, I do believe the general population, especially those going into their teenage years, should be well educated on drug use. Expecting young people to not dip their toes into drugs is a little ridiculous, and the "Just Say No" program that I remember as a kid was absolutely stupid. Children need to be made aware of the safest way to use drugs if they do make their decisions, but they should also be taught about the lasting effects it can have on your body as well. I'm not too well educated on the matter, but let's relate this back to alcohol yet again. Countries who educate their children better and raise them with it instead of sheltering (like the US where I'm from) their children from it seem to have less accidents in regards.

Overall, I'm going nowhere with this lol :p It's a difficult topic.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I think a joint or a cigarette are more than enough to have once a year or so. Anything more is the path to addiction, even monthly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, I've had this fascination with hallucinogens ever since I first found out about them. At age 12 I had the realisation that our brains filter out a lot of stimuli and I wanted to play around with those filters to see what would happen.

Waited until I finished highschool to try anything, made some like-minded friends and did a lot of research before trying anything. Became a bit of a psychonaut, really it was me just trying to get to know myself from different angles. And I did learn a lot. I also had many spiritual experiences too which I wasn't expecting. A very healing experience.

But I've explored it and now it's done. I feel like that part of my life is over. Although I never did try DMT despite reading the book that the documentary came from, and that used to be one of my goals.

I also don't think drugs like that should be legal because I have known addicts and I wouldn't wish that kind of a life path on anyone. Majority of people would abuse drugs if given the chance, even with proper education. As long as society remains afraid of difficult emotions, drugs should stay illegal.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I never really tried drugs other than alcohool and passive smoking :), I see no reason for them, I can be so happy when I'm laughing and having a good time and it's seems so authentic compared to anything that is induced. Plus I'm having spiritual experiences without them and I'd rather take the longer safer way for this. Life is full of baby steps that will lead me where I need to be, I need a clear mind so I can dream and also act (in the few times I do that). I'd try maybe out of curiosity if I saw any strong argument, but if I'm happy, why change my state? :) Plus, anything that gives you happiness only for a short period of time and is not consistent and long lasting (like having positive people around and having great time with them) is not worth it in my opinion...Even the alcohool, I have it only when the situation is not fully right to make my brain ignore the things that are wrong and be able to relax, I'm gradually giving up this as well and reducing the amount to as low as possible to come to the doze where I enjoy it just for the taste (like a glass or 2 of red wine) or a beer or 2 because my tolerance increased way too much to it anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can easily say pot has made a huge impact in my life, both negatively and positively. It's the best thing ever. I feel like when I'm on it and out in public, I'm more open and friendly than when I'm not. I also support the use of psychedelics a lot, primarily for the learning experience. Although, recent discoveries for me with pot is that as much as I like it, i'd much prefer being sober since it's easier for me to focus on things, not forget things as easily and potentially not make a fool out of myself like other people I've seen. I also feel like it sucks time away from things that I want to do. As for alcohol, it's alright. Not my favorite thing in the world cos it's a depressant and always makes me fall asleep haha.

Reactions: SkaffaNL

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't see the need to alter my natural state as far as hallucinogens go. There is ways to tap into that part of my life without it. I rarely drink and only in the company with others if I do. I'm for reducing pain with prescriptions, but that's as far as it goes with me. I've experienced far too many things in my life to realize, to quote a song, "chemicals don't hang around" anyway. Putting something in my system to alter reality and then going back to reality has too great a risk to want to stay in altered reality. My dreams and daydreams are way more than enough to fuel my imagination.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, I smoke cannabis on a daily basis and I would be lying if I'd say I wasn't addicted. It's a habitual addiction though, it has become so normal for me and my friends we treat it the same as smoking a cigarette (not that we smoke joints as much as cigarettes). I guess I did start for the wrong reasons, I was depressed throughout my teens and cannabis relieved the despair and suicidal tendencies. I do know for a fact that this is not the case any more though (I've had sober periods). I personally believe that cannabis is not bad though, in many cases it can even help. I do not encourage the use of cannabis on the other hand and I would like to stop some day, but as cannabis is part of our lifes stopping smoking cannabis means stop hanging with the people closest to me. If I'd stop smoking the difference between us would be too great.

About psychedelics; I've done only nature-created substances. With this I mean I haven't tried LSD or anything but I have tried all kinds of different mushrooms and salvia. I was the only one to treat it as a spiritual journey, all my friends just wanted to have fun. Salvia has given me the hardest spiritual journey I have ever experienced and I have learned a lot from the trip, it felt (and I saw) like my sub- or unconsciousness formed its own entity and told me i wasn't complete. I was not accepting who I was and am and ignoring parts of me I didn't like. My unconsciousness entity told me that and showed me. I was literally frightened as hell and amazed as heaven at the same time. I did lose all sense of body and external stimuli (it's really a introvert experience for me at least) and apparently I had been walking around and doing other stuff I was literally only aware of for like 2%. I did not consciously do that. Well, in short salvia felt like some sage or master teaching me the most important lesson anyone could ever teach. Right after the trip I couldn't stop contemplating and eventually I came to the conclusion that salvia to me was a medicine for the mind. Eventually from the experience I was able to form:

Accept yourself. Don't be afraid to be yourself. Love yourself.
Accept others. Don't be afraid to be yourself. Love others.

It sounds stupid but those sentences are the essence of the whole 15 minute trip I had. It didn't feel like 15 minutes of course because you'll lose all sense of time.
Also, all my friends hated it so hard. Afterwards your body feels like trash and I could see all my friends also had a mind-revelationing experience. They all looked so scared, so frightened. I mean we've all done shrooms and that is nothing compared to salvia. I don't know how LSD and stuff is but it keeps your sense of reality pretty accurate right? I mean after 5 seconds of using salvia I could feel me (the self, body + mind + soul) being pulled inward so deep I had never been there. It felt so unfamiliar.

Okay, I'll stop my useless typing here, hope it helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts