Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Schmucks, I cannot believe I am here again... And researching the INFJ-ENTP dynamic at that...
Anyhow, I have this question: How do you ENTPs feel about being on 'therapy' with an INFJ?
INFJ tend to be deeply interested in the inner dynamics of one's soul, and I've been told by an ENTP that talking to me, feels like being on therapy to him.
But then again, everything else I know about this type seems to be a bit contradictory to that. As I see it ENTPs don't particularly like to be judged or being told what to do.
Would you like a friendship where the other plays sort of the role of a psychologist?
Wouldn't you feel threatened or discomforted by this arrangement?
Would you get deeply bored by this and/or exasperated after a certain time?

·
Registered
145 Posts
My mom is an INFJ, we had a lot of problems growing up, but once I've matured we've established a very good relationship. I love asking her for an advice in regards to the matters of soul, even though in a lot of the instances it is more of an attempt to get a validation of preformed opinion. Back to your question. Do not take it personally, but I would not like to have an INFJ as a friend-therapist. I'd like one as a friend though. I have not met an INFJ who would have a good grasp on how ENTPs operate, I'd be concerned that you'd be looking at my actions through the prism of "right/wrong". To top it all off, I don't think that friend-psychologist is a very healthy pattern for a relationship, this is a co-dependency waiting to be formed. Be wary of trying to fix what isn't broken, but makes up essential differences in our perception.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm, yes this was what I was afraid of. Being percieved as a judge of the soul. Thank you for your insight, it pointed out things that I have been willingy neglecting.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I don't like emotionally opening myself up to anybody. I have two good INFJ friends, one male, one female. I find myself quite often counselling the INFJ male, and the female and I have a mutual deal where we "check in" with each other (actually there are three of us in this group, and the third is ENTJ) and offer support. But we say as much or as little as we are comfortable with.

Whatever. The first sentence is the important one.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Therapy sounds like being questioned a lot. I don't like it when people ask me too many questions. I get frustrated, bored, angry, etc. Because if I want to talk about something, I will talk to you about it. If I want advice, I will ask for it. I really would not enjoy having a friend who is only there to be my unpaid psychologist.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, yes lots of questioning involved. However, doesn't that appeal in the least to your narcisstic side?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, yes lots of questioning involved. However, doesn't that appeal in the least to your narcisstic side?
It does, occasionally, depending on the topic. I have a friend who is constantly trying to figure me out, and in doing so, he asks me a lot of questions about my past. Specifically who I used to be, and why I changed. I don't like to dwell on the past, so I hate when he does that. I hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, it does, although, the point of the therapy is to help you become a healthier individual, not to fuel your narcissistic patterns, or to inflate your ego :laughing:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yes, it does, although, the point of the therapy is to help you become a healthier individual, not to fuel your narcissistic patterns, or to inflate your ego :laughing:
Nuh uuuhhhh! I grew up with a friend who I considered my own personal psychologist. We had an interesting friendship to say the least, and I trusted him deeply. At times he tended to act as my intellectual superior, which I either loved or hated, depending on the situation. He really helped me understand my own motivations better, but I honestly don't know if I ever did anything for him lol.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nuh uuuhhhh! I grew up with a friend who I considered my own personal psychologist. We had an interesting friendship to say the least, and I trusted him deeply. At times he tended to act as my intellectual superior, which I either loved or hated, depending on the situation. He really helped me understand my own motivations better, but I honestly don't know if I ever did anything for him lol.
Puzzled and struggling to understand how this is an "Nu uuhhhh!" :laughing:

I am not saying that a close enough of a relationship with a deep level of sharing is not possible, I certainly had a fair share of the type. All I am saying is that it is something that shouldn't be attempted to be synthesized, a relationship of a therapist, patient is not a relationship of an equal status and paramount responsibility, something to bear in mind.

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
Apparently I am a masochist. Enjoy me while I last.
Well to answer your questions, I prefer friends to be friends first and foremost. I don't like it when roles are predefined. I think that if someone values you and sees what your strengths are they will come to you for advice if they trust you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well to answer your questions, I prefer friends to be friends first and foremost. I don't like it when roles are predefined. I think that if someone values you and sees what your strengths are they will come to you for advice if they trust you.
Do you hold in high regards people you are asking advice from?
Are you very selective about those?
Do you usually seek advice from firends, or someone you percieve as a higher authority in the subject?
Are you annoyed by too many questions?

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
Do you hold in high regards people you are asking advice from?
Are you very selective about those?
Do you usually seek advice from firends, or someone you percieve as a higher authority in the subject?
Are you annoyed by too many questions?
Yes.
Yes.
Depends really. If it is purely technical, someone I perceive as a higher authority in the subject. If it's something personal, I ask someone I trust.
Only irrelevant ones.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't go to therapists, professional or otherwise, and I appreciate it when therapists don't come to me. ;)
That made me laugh really hard. It is good to know. Thanks! ^_^

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes.
Yes.
Depends really. If it is purely technical, someone I perceive as a higher authority in the subject. If it's something personal, I ask someone I trust.
Only irrelevant ones.
Weeell thanks for letting me drain you with my question. I will keep in mind what you said.
Won't.ask.irrelevant.question.
Do you like icecream?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts