Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find I am a grammar/spelling snob/nazi. Whenever I read things terribly misspelled or phrases with poor grammar like double negatives etc. I find I get annoyed. Is this an ENTP trait? I usually don't obsess over details, but this is one thing I find that I can't turn a blind eye to.:frustrating:

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
PerC phenomenon - weary is used for the word wary.

Drives me bonkers.

·
Banned
450 Posts
They're, There, Their.
Bare, Bear.
It's, Its.
Your, You're.

One should know the differences.

Now, knowing the different uses of affect & effect still cause me problems.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
I don't understand how people don't get it? You make a mistake, you learn from it after somebody tells you that you made the mistake, and you never make the mistake again, right?

Reactions: ENTPfemme

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I get annoyed like most people here, but generally I don't give a shit.

I make mistakes sometimes. It happens. I come here and type casually.

If the grammar is consistently horrible throughout the post then I'll just tune out. I find it a bit pretentious when people call other people out. We've all come from different backgrounds and not everyone has received the same education. It's cheap and too easy. If someone's bad use of grammar irks you then shut the fuck up and don't read their post (which is what I do if it's too painful to read). As much as it annoys me to read awfully structured posts with bad grammar, it annoys me even more when someone calls the person out.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
spelling and grammar errors affect me anywhere from feeling like a slight itch to a roundhouse kick to the dome.

i can't take it. i WILL correct you. slang and colloquial speech are one thing, righting lyke a fookin autismal* gorila is quite another.

*no offense to autistic people yo

Reactions: petite libellule

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you mean, "How do you feel about people who can't spell, or who use poor grammar?"

It is something to which I can turn a blind eye (but not "turn a blind eye to").

Hey, we're all human. Live and let live. Everyone has their own way of expressing themself. (Or should that be, "Everyone has his or her own way of expressing his or her self"? Or even "themselves"?)

·
Banned
450 Posts
Hey, we're all human. Live and let live. Everyone has their own way of expressing themself. (Or should that be, "Everyone has his or her own way of expressing his or her self"? Or even "themselves"?)
If I can't understand what they're trying to express, it's not much of an expression.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
I don't understand how people don't get it? You make a mistake, you learn from it after somebody tells you that you made the mistake, and you never make the mistake again, right?
Depending on the error...(sentence FRAGMENT).

l'd say failing to proof read is the biggest issue, depending on the type of errors one is prone to making.

For example, l looked over l message l sent yesterday with the word ''relationships'' spelled out as ''relations ships'', which of course doesn't get tHE red underline since it's not technically an error.

l can't help that it sounds the same to me phonetically, l r specia ed.

When l'm scanning for errors, l usually just look for the red lines, it serves me well enough most of the time, but honestly, bite me:tongue:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
How about when people say "axe" instead of as "ask". Like, "let's axe for double cheese on that pizza"

or "expecially" maybe it means extra special?
Oh my gosh yes! I always think they are some type of axe murderer. Freakin' serial killers are everywhere these days.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I often make mistakes when I type, particularly because I have mild dyslexia so I empathise when other people do too.

I definitely, and obviously prefer when someone is coherent but I also know people who are intentionally incoherent, and that's something I can't understand.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
I agree! My biggest pet peeve is "anyways." My second peeve is "than" and "then."

By the way, your second sentence isn't a complete sentence. :3

1 - 20 of 39 Posts