Personality Cafe banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
wont notice it. the only thing which can annoy me is the use of incorrect translations, that convey different thing than intended. i also hat the different mindsets behind those languages, which i have to get to get it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It's just high linguistic intelligence and I think most NTs do, we just have the feeling for it, you know. We are generally quick to learn new languages for some reason. In any case, small uncommon errors don't annoy me, because I make them too, especially in English, since it's not my native language, but your/you're type mistakes, misspells of everyday words, shorts and purposeful mistakes annoy me to the bone. I just twitch when I see one.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd like to add the definitely/defiantly example. I recently saw one of my friends write "I am defiantly excited about the vacation!" instead of saying definitely excited on Facebook. I just pictured her ready to fight or challenge whatever crazy thing happened on her trip.

·
Registered
INTP 873 sp/sx VLEF melancholic
17,275 Posts
I'd like to add the definitely/defiantly example. I recently saw one of my friends write "I am defiantly excited about the vacation!" instead of saying definitely excited on Facebook. I just pictured her ready to fight or challenge whatever crazy thing happened on her trip.
I hate that one! I see it often on Facebook!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I'm definitely guilty of being part of the Grammar Gestapo, but I don't care as much if it's used informally. Formal contexts, however, are a different story.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Do you mean, "How do you feel about people who can't spell, or who use poor grammar?"

It is something to which I can turn a blind eye (but not "turn a blind eye to").

Hey, we're all human. Live and let live. Everyone has their own way of expressing themself. (Or should that be, "Everyone has his or her own way of expressing his or her self"? Or even "themselves"?)
"That" can be used in place of the word "who". It's a neutral word that can replace objects or people. That's what I learned in 11th grade grammar anyways.

Reactions: ENTPfemme

·
Registered
523 Posts
I hate the "its", "it's", "there", "their", kind of errors. Minor spelling errors don't really bother me though, as long as I understand what word they are trying to use.

I detest bad grammar. If the person is a not a native speaker they get a free pass, if they are a native speaker though...how can you not know your verb tenses?

·
Banned
465 Posts
affect = verb
effect = noun

The idiot's terrible grammar affected my temper.
vs.
The intelligent person used grammar correctly to great effect.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
affect = verb
effect = noun

The idiot's terrible grammar affected my temper.
vs.
The intelligent person used grammar correctly to great effect.
Both can be used as verbs and nouns actually.
ef·fect/iˈfekt/
Noun
A change that is a result or consequence of an action or other cause.

Verb
Cause (something) to happen; bring about.

af·fect/əˈfekt/
Verb

1. Have an effect on; make a difference to: "the dampness began to affect my health".
  2. Pretend to have or feel (something): "as usual I affected a supreme unconcern".

Noun
Emotion or desire, esp. as influencing behavior or action.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yeah, but that's the way it is 95% of the time.
Making up statistics... *shakes head sadly* I basically agree with you though. :)

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
I find I am a grammar/spelling snob/nazi. Whenever I read things terribly misspelled or phrases with poor grammar like double negatives etc. I find I get annoyed. Is this an ENTP trait? I usually don't obsess over details, but this is one thing I find that I can't turn a blind eye to.:frustrating:
i won't date them. it doesn't annoy me, but I do question the writer's intelligence.

Reactions: ENTPfemme
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.