Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you like to read poetry? Do any particular fav authors. It does not have to be strictly sonnets and haiku's any arrangement of pretty words stuck together that make you feel good counts as well. Music lyrics that really touch you?
or do you not give a shit? Tell me your thoughts.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Poetry, oh yes! Just started writing poetry again after a 14 year hiatus. Posted today on the INFJ poetry thread. See writer’s corner thread in NF forum as well. There’s poetry lovers there too. T.s.Eliot, Auden, Donne, Dickinson, Blake, Shakespeare, Browning, e.e.cummings, Neruda, Yeats...actually I really love Dylan Thomas lately. I love Welsh everything. I’m probably missing some.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I'm not exactly passionate about written poetry. I used to have my interest peaked at school when we analysed every minute detail in the poem but that's not something that I do anymore.

I started getting invested in slam poetry though. I have a couple of friends that did it passionately (an ENFJ and an ISFJ). Then I started seeing politically charged slam poetry online and suddenly I found a reason to need poetry. Something about the passion and rhythm makes their message sound powerful, aggressive and too damn intellectual to be argued by trolls.

I tried seeking that kind of thing online which actually lead to me enjoying more rap... Honestly the most rap I had in my playlists was Linkin Park. But Bleed it out is still a favourite of mine.

Watsky is awesome at fast talking rhythm and poetical metaphors.

Honestly though if I'm on the trail of talking about rap and ingenious lyrics then I can't not mention Hamilton. I keep discovering hidden meanings in those lyrics and the depth he put into the meaning of even the key the songs are in.

·
Registered
INFP so/sx
562 Posts
I like rap music because it can be quite poetic sometimes and there are a few artists out there who never fail to give me goosebumps because their music is so thought-provoking and inspirational (people like J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Tupac, Nas etc.).

What I'm currently listening to:

My sister got me into slam poetry when I was in high school and I try to attend my university slam poetry nights when I can and man, people are SO talented. I know it’s not for everyone but I fucking love how passionate the performers are.

@Falling Foxes
Hamilton is AMAZING. I’m so sad I can’t get tickets to see it next year T.T

·
Registered
929 Posts
I don't go out of my way to find poetry but I can appreciate a good poem when they come across my path. I wrote poetry when I was in highschool, it is fun to create a story that can be made of so little words yet be interpreted in multiple ways and forum so many different ideas. :applouse:

Reactions: TallGreen

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bless you for sharing. That was awsome!

I have generaly stayed away from slam poetry, because I considered it to be more prosaic. However I am begining to fall in love with it. Its so in touch the current moment, esspecialy the political stuff. Its art that is relavent, art that can chage the world.
:proud:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm not particularly fond of written poetry. I appreciate that it takes talent to do, and I enjoy well-written lyrics in song and story, but it's not really my thing.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I didn't like poetry until I reached a point where I could do a kind of mind-meld with the poets (I already had this capacity with musical composers and, maybe oddly, architects). Suddenly, the intensity, the compaction, the rhythm, the flow of thoughts no less than words, the intimate trust between writer and reader all came together for me, and it's, like, beautiful, man.

It doesn't always have to be the emotional stuff. Sometimes Alexander Pope, or Dryden, or Swift can be quite as satisfying as Byron, or Blake, or Donne.

Oh, look, here's Byron right now. He must have heard us talking about him. Hanging upside down, tied up with electrical cord? Hey, that's just like him. You got something to tell us, GG?

"Same skin for one without has two or three within?"--very INFJ situation . . .

·
Registered
370 Posts
A poem I did a while ago

Parting is Bittersweet

I must tell you my dearest of so long,
As you make my stomach ache with the pain,
That shall tell us both of where you belong,
It drive me insane, it's me that you've slain.

This shall be a tough moment in our lives.
My sweet dearest it is now or never.
I think it's time for you to take a dive.
You see I must pull down this silver lever.

I clench my stomach, burning intensly,
My lips part, crying out your sobriquet.
You make me feel as though I am not spry.
Your memory soiled, as I break sweat.

Staring at the ceiling, crystal tears fall,
Because you'll always look just like a bole.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts