Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you feel about school? Do you like it, or hate it?
I personally happen to hate school. It is so boring!

I mean all you do at school is memorize, recite, and forget(right after being tested on whatever unit). Also, I find that teachers will always talk about how important it is for us as students to think outside of the box, but once anyone actually does so they begin to get pissed off about it.

·
Registered
INTP
4,486 Posts
I used to both like and hate school. I liked it because I love learning, but I hated it because of the people. (The teachers were okay; the students were either awful or not relevant to my interests.)

I also didn't like the fact that school started in the morning.

·
Registered
ISTP
1,214 Posts
Sounds like a terrible school you go to.

I loved the last years of school. By that point, only those who wanted to be there were there, both because of picking courses corresponding to your interests, and because it wasn't required to be there to begin with, you could as well have been working a decent job already. Contemporary history, economics, modern physics, philosophy, advanced maths ... how is discussing any of that not interesting? We read Kant and Shakespeare, learned about Bohr and Keynes.

And even beyond the subject matter ... my history teacher thought me how to think, for instance. The moment that has stayed with me through all these years was some historical event or other we discussed, and suddenly I saw at the same time implication and motivation, what was before and what would be after -- and correctly assessing that was what he had tried to teach us, patiently, but without ever being explicit about it. It's the single most important lesson I can remember.

So really, I was sad when it was over. Yes, even Latin. I still hate translating it like nothing else and am hopeless at it -- but nevertheless, I love having been exposed to Ovid, Virgil and all the others who wrote things 2,000 years ago we can still read today. If you have a love for learning new things, school should be the best place on earth. It's a tragedy if it's not.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I graduated from high school in 1998. Aside from the core subjects that we actually use in everyday life, and maybe a few bonus details (mostly pertaining to government and economics), I can't recall anything specific that I've retained due to its irrelevance to everyday life. Econ was my best class in high school. By that, I mean the one I did best at. Not science, not art, not even history, literature, or social studies. It was economics. Does that mean I'm a "square?" I prefer to think of myself as having an aptitude for history and social studies, though, and I'm always encouraging my friends' kids to value those subjects more even though they're not taught effectively these days. They weren't taught effectively back in my day either.

"The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see."
~Winston Churchill

"The first duty of every Sage is to the truth. Whether it's scientific truth, historical truth, or personal truth. If you can't find it in yourself to stand up for the truth...you don't deserve to wear that lab coat!"
~Judson Joist (paraphrasing Captain Picard)

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
The nightmares stopped 10 or 15 years back.

I tried explaining, "I'm not in school anymore." but it fell on deaf ears and I was not allowed to leave.

I'd have the exact same dream some nights only it was the USMC instead of school.

Not every night, but often enough to take note of it. Either way it would take a second or two to get my bearings on awakening and a sense of extreme relief to kick in.

I find subconscious me tossing conscious me a key like that to be interesting.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I liked it for the most part up until my upper division university courses. I did more than memorize, recite, and forget.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I hated school- mostly because of the people. Once I hit the hard classes in college and struggled for hours every day only to fail - it became my personal hell.
Dreading the idea of going back.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I hated school, love university. I've been waiting a long time for this, perhaps far too long, but I enjoy every moment of my time at uni

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
It was fine. I never felt particularly strongly about it. I guess the most accurate description I could give is that, overall, it was a bit of a drag.

Also, I slowly lost my motivation to pay attention and do my homework over the years, until I found myself unable to do any work on my master thesis. After a few months, I decided to stop trying.

Now I have a job, which I feel about the same about as school, it's a bit of a drag. Sadly, I have to be at work for longer than I ever had to be at school for and I don't have any friends to talk to while sitting there.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
How do you feel about school? Do you like it, or hate it?
I personally happen to hate school. It is so boring!
I always hated school. Too boring and pointless. The most useful skills I acquired at school were reading, writing and doings arithmetic.

Also, I find that teachers will always talk about how important it is for us as students to think outside of the box, but once anyone actually does so they begin to get pissed off about it.
Thinking outside of the box was not something that any of my teachers ever talked about. At least they weren't hypocrites.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thinking outside of the box was not something that any of my teachers ever talked about. At least they weren't hypocrites.
Well mines were, and it sucks! What is the point of telling us to do things if you don't like!

·
Registered
17 Posts
School essentially sucks(except for chemistry,history,geography,foreign languages,psychology and sports).I don't find maths interesting,thus I have bad grades at it.Same goes for physics.In conclusion,I think that school would be better if every student should go to what classes he likes and,most importantly,to be taught how to MAKE A LIVING.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suppose they didn't expect anyone to think outside of their box.
Lol, that comment simply made my day.

·
Registered
ISTP
1,214 Posts
School essentially sucks(except for chemistry,history,geography,foreign languages,psychology and sports).I don't find maths interesting,thus I have bad grades at it.Same goes for physics.In conclusion,I think that school would be better if every student should go to what classes he likes and,most importantly,to be taught how to MAKE A LIVING.
No, terrible idea. First off, teens just hate school in general, usually. You have to put in effort, and it's challenging, they hate putting in effort and challenges, so allowing them to pick what they want == bad idea. Picking core themes (not discarding entire subject groups) works for age ~17 and upwards, whichever part of education that would be, in the system you're in. Second (and I say this as the super-practical guy), the point of a school is not to churn out workers. The point of school is to educate children, to raise them to become adults, self-determined and able to think on their own, and that means exposing them to knowledge and culture, in first approximation without any other purpose than the selfsame.

The entire adult life is for a lot of people a means to the end of earning money; school is the last respite, and conveys knowledge and culture for its own sake. Having read and discussed classics, philosophers, statesmen, ideas and concepts of great minds, contemporary and historic, doesn't help you to earn money, but it does make you a citizen and part of the society you exist in, because it is build on those things. So if there is to be any truth at all to the concept that it's education which allows you to rise up from modest beginnings, that is exactly the kind of education you need. And not an early job training.

Which is not to say that schools can't be improved. From the examples in this thread, it seems like I caught one of the better education systems (and perhaps a very European perspective on education, but in truth it's just a Humanist one). However, they will always be schools, and that means learning, homework, tests and subjects that have no immediate value to a teenager's mind. If it works as it's supposed to, they'll be thankful later.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I think that teaching kids how to make a living (and do taxes and all that adult stuff) is the job of the parents, not the school.

Picking core themes (not discarding entire subject groups) works for age ~17 and upwards, whichever part of education that would be, in the system you're in.
In the Netherlands, you choose your core themes at age 14-15, which in my opinion works really well.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think that teaching kids how to make a living (and do taxes and all that adult stuff) is the job of the parents, not the school.
Agree on this fully, however, since parents nowadays (taking NL here as example), are working, this task has become a (unwanted) secondary task of the schools, making quality of schools suffer.

In the Netherlands, you choose your core themes at age 14-15, which in my opinion works really well.
For the ones that know how they would like to spend the rest of their lives at that age, or have a good idea of what they want, it works well, for the others it does not. I think especially nowadays, this system is too outdated and flawed to be of any use, other than making sure some basics are forcefed.

- As for the topic -
I used to believe school was important, reinforced by my parents in multitude.
However, the longer I've been working in business, the more people I've seen proving it is all in vain. Thinking for oneself and being critical (not paranoid), are the real traits to have. School doesn't support those, nor enhances them, if you ask me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i hated school i used to ditch to go home and raid on wow....
i feel like i can learn more on youtube then in a school where i can have hot coffee in my hand and a blunt in the other ,learning the way i learn

1 - 20 of 27 Posts