Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ
274 Posts
Contemporary culture is excitedly denying (in word) all social realities, while still the sane 99,9% (in practice) live those realities out, however supportive they are of the odd ones. Women proposing is a meme. Leave a man who is in a position to propose to you but lacks the initiative - he either doesn't care enough, or is too weak of a person to be ready for a common life. In the first case you will get rejected, and in the second case you will eventually regret proposing.

Even if you don't understand why does it work this way, still do it how it's been done. It will save you a lot of unnecessary tears.

·
Registered
Undefined
118 Posts
What difference does it make?

- I only see one problem - there won't be a proposal ring involved. Even if you gave your boyfriend a signet or something it won't have the same "feel".

Proposing is basically asking if the other one will marry you, and receiving an answer.
There is nothing gender related. It's simply communication.
- If no one dares to ask they might both want to get married but be too shy about that, and end up living as a simple boyfriend and girlfriend forever. It wouldn't be a problem either but being married has it's benefits. You pay less taxes, have access to medical information, can raise children together without all the issues related to not being officially married etc.
Marriage is just a contract. It doesn't matter who initiates - both need to agree anyway.
  • This is what we're talking about.
  • Thinking about such scenario makes it too dumb if 2 actually did that. Although cultures & traditions differ, so regarding your perspective of: Get to know each < Get to be a BF & a GF < Get married. In such case here (or at least my preference): Get to know each < At least 1 year testing period (getting engaged, and going in depth about discovering each, without having any physical interactions) < Then finally, get married and do whatever a couple can legally do. People just seem to decline marriage because they don't want holding a responsibility, which doesn't make sense not to get married from start rather than being a "GF & a BF" for y e a r s.

·
Registered
Undefined
118 Posts
If he didn't want to marry me because I proposed then he is not the kind of guy I'll- in any case- futuristic speaking, marry in the first place.
Lol, that would be really funny to witness, completely nonsensical for a man to do such an act, ofc. it also depends on many factors, how long you knew him, how close you're, etc.

·
Registered
Undefined
118 Posts
Science is just a modern variable of a belief system based on dogma. "Damn the unbelievers! Spread the message far and wide, for all eyes to see and ears to hear! The priests have spoken!"

Human capabilities have far outreached human consciousness, a lot of us are still stuck in our old ways.
They really do think of themselves as Gods or so, even though they're just mere humans. If that's how you meant it to be.

·
Premium Member
40,611 Posts
Lol, that would be really funny to witness, completely nonsensical for a man to do such an act, ofc. it also depends on many factors, how long you knew him, how close you're, etc.
Oh well

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Countless interpretations, only 1 exists, since and for an eternity.
Creator, source, great mother, great father, god, allah, whatever you want to call it, we each have the ability(and imo the responsibility) to get in touch with it ourselves, personally. No one person has the same connection to it as the other, yet we're all related to it the same way.

·
Registered
ESFP Type 9w8
1,423 Posts
Contemporary culture is excitedly denying (in word) all social realities, while still the sane 99,9% (in practice) live those realities out, however supportive they are of the odd ones. Women proposing is a meme. Leave a man who is in a position to propose to you but lacks the initiative - he either doesn't care enough, or is too weak of a person to be ready for a common life. In the first case you will get rejected, and in the second case you will eventually regret proposing.

Even if you don't understand why does it work this way, still do it how it's been done. It will save you a lot of unnecessary tears.
A lack of initiative is definitely an undesirable trait in a man, but there are many other important facets to consider. Responsibility, values, integrity, mannerisms, wealth, appearance, lineage, affiliations etc. Realism demands that a woman with initiative pursues a man who lacks initiative but ticks enough of the remaining boxes. It's only a problem if A the woman normally lacks initiative too, or B one or both of them defer to society for their values. Otherwise this is not uncommon. I know several happily married couples where the woman made the first move.

·
Registered
ESFP Type 9w8
1,423 Posts
They really do think of themselves as Gods or so, even though they're just mere humans. If that's how you meant it to be.
That's a little unfair. Very rarely do actual scientists make these outlandish claims or attempt to appear as an authority over people or even as an alternative to religion. It's often opportunistic people simply using science as a tool to influence others. Unless you were referring to the these people and not the practitioners of science.

·
Registered
INFJ
274 Posts
A lack of initiative is definitely an undesirable trait in a man, but there are many other important facets to consider. Responsibility, values, integrity, mannerisms, wealth, appearance, lineage, affiliations etc. Realism demands that a woman with initiative pursues a man who lacks initiative but ticks enough of the remaining boxes. It's only a problem if A the woman normally lacks initiative too, or B one or both of them defer to society for their values. Otherwise this is not uncommon. I know several happily married couples where the woman made the first move.
I can imagine circumstance that makes it an option, but those rare exceptions are just exceptions to the rule. Maybe for one in a 1000 couples it would make sense for a woman to propose, but I am stretching it. "Making the first move" is something completely different than proposing, so your examples aren't really proper if they consist of a woman asking out and not proposing.

With so many people on the planet, you will find at least one positive example for probably anything, maybe even a "happy" incestuous story lol, this doesn't make it a smart choice in general.

·
exploring space
10,118 Posts
Sounds fine. I don't really care for marriage so it personally doesn't affect me. I think it's good that women take the initiative if they want to.
Nowadays many people just discuss marriage anyways and come to an agreement together. If you can't discuss this openly with your would-be spouse it sounds to me like it would be wrong to get married in the first place.
Also I doubt many women don't actively lay the groundwork for it to happen anyways. Or at least in older generations when such passive aggressive tactics were common, since being direct was improper, but was a great way to circumvent that. In such cases it's the same as taking the initiative in principle, it's just that people can do it openly now.

·
Registered
ESFP Type 9w8
1,423 Posts
I can imagine circumstance that makes it an option, but those rare exceptions are just exceptions to the rule. Maybe for one in a 1000 couples it would make sense for a woman to propose, but I am stretching it. "Making the first move" is something completely different than proposing, so your examples aren't really proper if they consist of a woman asking out and not proposing.

With so many people on the planet, you will find at least one positive example for probably anything, maybe even a "happy" incestuous story lol, this doesn't make it a smart choice in general.
You're right, that was more vague than I intended. I'm talking about women actually proposing marriage. In my culture it's not uncommon for a marriage proposal to be the first move. A lot of Muslim women won't entertain the idea of even holding hands with you let alone going out and sleeping with you before marriage.

Edit: It's not uncommon at all. It probably happens in your community. But you're not going to hear about it if the community disapproves and thinks of it as a woman throwing herself at the feet of a weak man. They're probably just going to keep the truth about who proposed to who to themselves.

·
Registered
INTP
5,979 Posts
And if they marry, it will always be kept that she initiated the marriage. The father and family members will not respect him.
And the man will later throw it back in the woman's face: You pressured me; I wasn't ready; etc.

Maybe there are some exceptions, e.g., an honorable man who is shy.

·
Registered
INFJ still fits least bad
6,813 Posts
I don't have a problem with it. It's a very personal choice.
With my husband, I didn't get a proper proposal. At some point, we started talking about marriage, and we discussed what kind of ring he'd get for me, so a few days before I went back to America from my visit with him, the ring came in and he presented it to me, and we had a nice walk on the beach and announced our engagement to our friends.
I thought it was really nice, personally.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think it would probably be a mutual thing, either way. I doubt many women would just out of the blue propose. And it could make the moment all the more special when it is the woman who takes the initiative. Now, aside from something as life-changing as marriage...I totally like it when the woman makes the first move on anything, but even better is when both come together without much formal talking...it just happens because both are on the same wavelength.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts