Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rather amazing ability: I can detach myself from my emotions.

When other people feel sad, angry, happy, confused or whatever, I'm sure they describe the feeling as washing over them, completely consuming their minds. Not me.

The way my brain works is a voice constantly running in my head; this voice is my ego, essentially.

When I feel sad, I feel it, but somehow, this part of my brain remains completely unaffected. It can still look at those feeling and logically process them, try to work out why they are there. It's like the emotion is a reaction my body has, but that isn't anymore a part of me than, say, the pain I feel when banging my elbow. It's weird.

Does anybody else here get this?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
For the most part. I probably don't have it to such an extent that I can feel absolutely dissociated with it. It does seem like I'm more emotionally invested in the music I listen to and the books I read than in my actual life. Thankfully some people have the opinion that I don't have a "life", so it's not much of a dilemma to where my emotional investments should lie.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
You know what I do with feelings? I stuff them into bags.

You know what I do with memories? I stuff them into the bag along with feelings.

You know what I do with other peoples' feelings? I stuff them into the bag along with memories and feelings.

You know what I do with unrequited love? I stuff them into a bag along with other peoples feelings, memories, and feelings.

You know what I do with these bagful of feels? I don't know. Cuz they're sitting in my head taking up space. Opening them up to sort will be a mundane task and it can get messy to even attempt to defragment the cluttered mess. So laziness kicks in and I toss them into the corner of my brain.

They say vacations clear the mind for most people. Well, even with vacations and seasonal changes, that shit in the corner of the mind isn't going to clean itself. There comes a time letting it linger to long, it's time to toss those bagful of feels in the trash and start anew.

Bagful of feels. Can't trade them for anything.... Being sentimental and nostalgic with it leaves nothing but mental clutter. Especially those bitter sweet moments.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's self awareness, INTPs have it easier than other types, I know people who's totally unable to control their emotions, like they ARE their emotions, which drags all the drama behind.

To me self awareness is my most appreciated trait, even on others, I can't trust people who's not able to control themselves emotionally and that's also why I don't have many friends...

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
For the most part it is easy for me to mask what I'm feeling, or shut it off and think about it later.
When it is somehing intense, physiologically there is a reaction that I can't control ie: face flushing, tingling on the back of my neck, hairs standing up, goosebumps etc. those are still dead giveaways that something could be wrong or very right. I'm sure that's difficult if not impossible to control.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
Something like that. l've thought about explaining it before, bu it just sounds too cray.

l can't say l don't ''feel'' emotions and l wouldn't claim that to be the case because l *eyeroll* when people speak incessantly about similar things, but it's like there's that part of the ego that just doesn't believe the feeling are real and is completely separated.

l don't share this with many people lol.

Oh, and l do, or can actually feel a lot. l could probably feel anything...it's just managed like, a manual appliance? lf l look at it in terms of Ti and Fe in constant opposition, it seems to make sense.

l don't think l could ever go completely to one side or the other, but it doesn't seem like they multi-task effectively.Edit: l think the point you bring up about the inner monologue is interesting, @Falling Leaves.

l talk about that a lot and obviously everyone has one, but there could be a point at which it becomes so developed that it just begins to rationalize everything the conscious mind experiences...purely theoretical as l have no idea what l'm really talking about :laughing:

l wonder how INFP or ENFP types experience this, l've heard them mention vaguely similar things.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Something like that. l've thought about explaining it before, bu it just sounds too cray.

l can't say l don't ''feel'' emotions and l wouldn't claim that to be the case because l *eyeroll* when people speak incessantly about similar things, but it's like there's that part of the ego that just doesn't believe the feeling are real and is completely separated.

l don't share this with many people lol.

Oh, and l do, or can actually feel a lot...it's just managed like, a manual appliance?

Thank you for sharing your perspective with us. We now know you care. We understand you! lalalala and brohugs.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
When other people feel sad, angry, happy, confused or whatever, I'm sure they describe the feeling as washing over them, completely consuming their minds. Not me.
Hmm.

In order to feel, I need to relax and search the back of my mind. There may be an emotion there. I need to reach out to touch it and experience it in order to identify it. If I can't identify it based on familiar emotions, I may need to ask around to figure out what that emotion is.

In the case of if it is deep sadness, I may cry. But my mind continues to function. Aside from a biological reaction, my mind and course of action doesn't really change. In that situation, or one of extreme emotion, the strategy I employ for dealing with the problem at hand tends to be the same strategy I would employ before the emotion happens and after if fades.

Has it ever consumed by mind? I can't recollect it ever doing so. Has it existed alongside my mind, as something for my mind to peer into? Yes. Has it given me passion? On occasion, yes, I am moved by what I feel. But I continue to think and be as I was before, albeit with the experience of emotion.

I'm not an INTP by the way.

I like to identify my emotions. I want to know truly why they react to things. It is like slowly unraveling a mystery to discover the exact nature of the humanity within - discovering what motivates me and moves me and what not. I can build a picture, and then check how similar it is to other people. Or rather what parts of it may be or may be not. Why does it matter to me? Why doesn't it? Why does it matter to others? Why doesn't it? What is the reason for the shared concerns? What is the reason for the divergences? Where do the wants diverge from the needs, and why? What is it we are after and is there a why?

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
"I suspect that I am wallowing in sadness right about now. I wonder if I'm crying... *touches face* Yep, that is a known symptom of sadness right there."

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

I have burst of emotions and I get moody/irritated etc. I'd say it affects my behaviour a bit but it's all pretty inconsistent. I know what feeling happy is, I know what feeling connected with someone is. And I crave it badly. Most of the time I feel like an alien and try to mask it with my inferior Fe(els) but I'm still dead inside.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
I wonder if an INTP told to 'Abort your feelings' is as close and worse as it is to tell a female to 'Abort your fetus'....

People think it's THAT FUCKING EASY!!!! and it's that fucking simple!!! I mean... seriously...

Now I feel horrible for INTP women to be told 'Abort your feelings AND your fetus'...

I bow to their strength to carry the burden to move on.

·
Banned
279 Posts
I have a rather amazing ability: I can detach myself from my emotions.

The way my brain works is a voice constantly running in my head; this voice is my ego, essentially.

When I feel sad, I feel it, but somehow, this part of my brain remains completely unaffected. It can still look at those feeling and logically process them, try to work out why they are there.
I am the skeptical gatekeeper. Nothing shall pass until further analyzed (detached and study emotion like an object). An emotion is not allowed to flourish until my cerebral cortex can explain it in words (the voice) so I may analyze it logically. If it doesn't make sense or isn't beneficial, it is suppressed. If it makes me happy and doesn't hurt anything, may it multiple a 1000 times and consume me. I feel in sentences. Basically,I walk in a neutral state. Really happy, neutral, or really pissed/sad, there isn't a middle ground.

In many cases, this system works great. Analysis is what I do. However, I wish my brain would just shut up sometimes. Just feel without needing to control like others seem to do. Especially in a relationship.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That's about it, although the really happy seems not to happen as often as I'd like. All nuances I'm told also exist, like angry, mad, pissed and whatever seem like either synonyms or they simply don't exist in me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts