Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Thread so I hope I'm doing this right. I mean I guess you just talk about stuff right? And ask questions?

Anyway, so I don't know about you all. But, when I lose things, especially things that I value. I almost have a panic attack. First off I lost my mp3. And I just keep thinking about someone touching it. I have a real problem with people touching my things without asking. I mean if I lost it and someone is picking it up to return it to me I'd feel less worried about them touching it. But, if they are like playing with it.. I mean it isn't theirs, so they shouldn't! Beside that fact, I don't know them so I don't trust them and they might just steal it. Also I really like my music because it keeps me stead and I can feel with the music. I love that. Even if I lost something less important to me. I'd probably still be a little upset for those facts. Beside that I normally like all the things I have a lot. Why would I buy something I didn't like? I guess if someone bought me something and I hated it.. I might want to lose it. But, normally I like what people buy me because at least they were trying to do something nice.

So anyway do you all have similar feelings? What do you do when you lose something? How do you react? Do you panic or stay calm? What if you lost something that meant a lot to you? What about something not so important?

Reactions: Apdenoatis

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am fine with sharing things but only with people that I trust. But when something is stolen or lost, especially if it's of value, I become upset, definitely. :/ I only get close to a panic attack when it's something incredibly important not to lose, like bank cards, money, cell phone, etc. Thankfully that hasn't happened.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
When it's a physical object I'm usually calm because I don't put much value into it. It's always replaceable, and if it's a picture of my grandmother and I then I make sure to maintain that memory, because the feelings from it are more important than a piece of paper.

However, it's painful to either lose your love towards yourself, lose someone you loved, or lose a pet that you loved. It can be between two weeks to several months before I recover, and I'm more closed.

As for the "important" stuff like check book, credit card, car keys, etc., I never lose them because if they're not on me then they're in a cluster on my desk.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am fine with sharing things but only with people that I trust. But when something is stolen or lost, especially if it's of value, I become upset, definitely. :/ I only get close to a panic attack when it's something incredibly important not to lose, like bank cards, money, cell phone, etc. Thankfully that hasn't happened.
Yeah, I guess I would freak out if I lost my wallet. One time I did. It was on the street. I was so upset the whole day and that had my bank card/ID in it! I was so happy. I open my mail box and there it was. Someone returned it, I was really thankful too bad they didn't leave me any clue to who they were. But, they were probably awesome.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I get sentimental and attached to anything I have for a certain amount of time. When I throw out a toothbrush because it's time to replace it, I feel bad. Or one time recently I left some hair slides at the hairdressers and I really wanted to go back and ask them about the slides. But you know, that would just be insane. Ahh... I'll miss them...

In a lost wallet case I'd probably be more sad about losing the wallet itself than what was in it.

I really hope I'm not the only sentimental fool like this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get sentimental and attached to anything I have for a certain amount of time. When I throw out a toothbrush because it's time to replace it, I feel bad. Or one time recently I left some hair slides at the hairdressers and I really wanted to go back and ask them about the slides. But you know, that would just be insane. Ahh... I'll miss them...

In a lost wallet case I'd probably be more sad about losing the wallet itself than what was in it.

I really hope I'm not the only sentimental fool like this.
Totally not, I agree with you on this 100% that is probably how I feel about my mp3! Sometimes I wash my chapsticks and when they I take them out of the dyer and see them empty I get really sad because to me they are sentimental because they are something I use and collect. They just make me happy!

Reactions: SoulSpark

·
Registered
39 Posts
For me, it depends on what it is that I lost, and if it was replaceable. If it is something like an ipod, I would panic for a while and then get over it as I can replace it, and I have my music backed up anyway (I'm very attached to my music collection apparently! lol). But if I lose something like a childhood photo album, or any family moment thing, I become very upset and switch to numb-zombie mode for days. This happened a couple of years ago when somehow my pc crashed and I lost all the photos I had from different family events, and the backup hard drive decided to just die! I'm still upset about those to be honest because those moments were irreplaceable. Now I have backups, and backups of backups. Same thing happened to my blackberry last year where it got damaged and the memory card was unreadable. I was more upset about the photos I lost than I was about the phone. I think I sulked for a week :|

Having said that, I've been recently trying to take the minimalistic approach to life, which I should add is very hard for me because I'm emotionally attached to everything. Less is more, especially that I now have the belief that everything is replaceable except for people and the moments you've shared.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I don't lose things that often, but when I do it really bugs me. Especially at work, because it's automatically because someone moved it! I don't lose anything! It's because of someone else! Not my fault! (Making fun of myself, because I really do believe that. It's a little silly)

But for real. It is confusing and frustrating. Because I have very specific places that I set things down... when I was younger I'd set things down all the time in the oddest of places. TV remotes in the fridge were a common issue when I was a child, because I'd take it with me (so my brothers wouldn't steal the TV from me) while I get a drink, and I'd set it down in the fridge.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I feel gutted when i lose something :bored: especially if I'd attached a lot of meaning to it. The reason things usually mean so much to me is if someone in particular who is really special gave the object to me. So if i lost it I'd be quite upset.

·
PerC Mermaid
23,481 Posts
My phone was stolen a while ago and with it a lot of pictures (of my family and friends). I kicked myself hard for a long while for not keeping those at a back up disc or something. I get attached to the silliest things (I still keep my first PC keyboard for example....yeah I know:unsure: )
When I lose something I really value I get truly sad.

Oh and welcome to the forum btw:happy:

Reactions: GoodOldDreamer
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.