Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Good question. I feel other people's feelings viscerally, as if they were my own. But whether they are other people's feelings or my own, I always try to take a step back in order to analyze them and categorize them using words (so verbally). I find it helpful to identify what I'm feeling and why or what someone else is feeling and why and I feel like thinking in words helps me solve this "problem" the best way. I generally do this because I usually have the intention of expressing how I feel/felt and why to others so we can understand each other better. I don't like drowning in my emotions or over identifying with any particular emotion or thought. I am the observor and master of my mind. I am not my feelings, I am not my thoughts. I sort of see them like an illusion almost and once you see passed that illusion, you are liberated and open yourself to more options on how to feel. By changing the way I look at things, I can change the way I feel. I guess my thoughts and emotions are tied pretty tightly for me? So it's hard for me to look at it in a black and white manner. Here's something I wrote once:

"What are emotions for?
A detour
that I would like to explore
nothing more
than bursts and splatters of color
I sip them out
then spit them on the floor.
Clean core."

Now, if I'm experiencing a song or some other piece of Art, it's sort of another story. I usually get inspired to write through other Art. If there's a feeling there or an idea, I'll get words for it but the words are metaphors so they form a picture. So it's both visual and verbal. The intent is to paint a picture with my words. I like using colors and objects to symbolize feelings. I'm not quite sure which comes first though...the image or the words. It's honestly hard for me to remember. Like I would have to start paying attention to it for me to really say one way or the other. Perhaps they both just happen at the same time. Like I get a word and then I automatically see a picture in my mind of that thing. I think that's generally how it works for me since I'm primarily a verbal thinker...the word comes first and then immediately after, the picture and the pictures trigger more words and the words trigger more pictures. They feed on each other in that way.

Reactions: Enoch

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
Inspired by @Goetterdaemmerung 's 'How do you think?' thread.

How is it that you feel?

Can you feel verbally, visually, whateverelsely? Are these things even possible?

Be as feeling as you'd like to be.
Feel? XD i feel bored sometimes. I don't actually know.. XD

Yes i feel ofcourse. XD im human lolololololololol

·
Banned
123 Posts
I feel like I am in love with someone.

But so far they only want to be friends with benefits, we have so much chemistry, we stare into each others eyes for long periods of time and lose track of time talking with each other.

But she doesn't care at all, and I fins it extremely yet again another rejection in an already long list...

We're all the same, everything can be objectified, me like me are not attractive anymore.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I feel... physical disruptions in the body.

I have been to a conference once and the topic was in part on emotions.
How a feeling caused by an emotion and feeling caused by something actually physical, the body does not tell the difference.
Can you imagine a prolonged negative emotion...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I feel like I'm not good enough because I try so hard to be interesting, funny, and kind but I have no friends and no one likes hanging out with me and when they do it's just temporarily and they don't want a complex friendship. I feel lonely and sad, but most of the time I try to get my mind off how I feel and focus on the positive. Like how much I appreciate having what I have and how much I love nature and sunshine!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I feel like I am in love with someone.

But so far they only want to be friends with benefits, we have so much chemistry, we stare into each others eyes for long periods of time and lose track of time talking with each other.

But she doesn't care at all, and I fins it extremely yet again another rejection in an already long list...

We're all the same, everything can be objectified, me like me are not attractive anymore.
You should tell her how you feel! If she doesn't want to be with you she doesn't deserve you. (I guess unless you're okay with being friends with benefits...) You'll find someone who appreciates you for who you are and love you one day! You shouldn't put your self-worth on how many times you've been rejected, different people just want different things and it has nothing to do with who you are as a person. Your actions and beliefs define how great you are, not someone who barely knows you! You deserve everything you want in life and relationships. :hug:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I feel like I'm not good enough because I try so hard to be interesting, funny, and kind but I have no friends and no one likes hanging out with me and when they do it's just temporarily and they don't want a complex friendship. I feel lonely and sad, but most of the time I try to get my mind off how I feel and focus on the positive. Like how much I appreciate having what I have and how much I love nature and sunshine!
Yeah that feeling is the worst feckin feeling in the world. I feel that too, only I when I tried to fake a fun/interesting personality I lack, I realised I couldn't even do that (and that feels the lowest kind of existence, for the sake of this threads topic)... its kind of sad to think that you have to live life concentrating your energies and passions around things other than people (which I feel like that is the second best option... people can give the most enriching experiences to life).

I read a quote (not exactly word for word but...): in order to make friends, don't be the interesting person, be interested in the other person. So ive been practicing that and its been a little better - at least the attention of my shortfalls has been diverted to whomever I am speaking with... so good luck :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah that feeling is the worst feckin feeling in the world. I feel that too, only I when I tried to fake a fun/interesting personality I lack, I realised I couldn't even do that (and that feels the lowest kind of existence, for the sake of this threads topic)... its kind of sad to think that you have to live life concentrating your energies and passions around things other than people (which I feel like that is the second best option... people can give the most enriching experiences to life).

I read a quote (not exactly word for word but...): in order to make friends, don't be the interesting person, be interested in the other person. So ive been practicing that and its been a little better - at least the attention of my shortfalls has been diverted to whomever I am speaking with... so good luck :)
Thank you so much for the advice!:loveyou:

I'm so glad you feel happier now, but what do you think I can do to be more interested in people? Should I ask them questions about themselves or give them gifts? What if they still leave?

I don't feel like I'm not bubbly and emotional(I feel like I'm excitiable and funny for a good portion of my daily life), I just can't do it all the time. Some people can laugh at the most unfunny things and make printing a paper into a dramatic story, and I just don't understand how they do it! It seems to me like they have a level of happiness I can't achieve. I just want to understand their mindset, so I, too, can experience life in that kind of perspective.

Ex: One time everyone cracked up when a girl was reading a story and the story said, "Their anger mounted." I understand that 'mounted' is a funny word to use in that context, but it's really wasn't deserving of a three-minute giggle session! So, I was just looking around the room at this group of people losing their minds over something so minuscule and thought, "Why don't I think this is as funny as they do? Am I missing something?"

Ex: I was printing a paper in the library when my friend came over to me and said hello. I say hi to them as well and continued printing my paper. Suddenly they said, "Wow, I didn't realize your voice was so low and boring." I have several things to say about this;
1. Excuse you, that is extremely rude!
2. This isn't the first time someone has told me this
3. My voice changes pitch when I'm happy, sad, bored, or angry! Do you sound like a ball of fun all the time? Maybe that's not the right phrase to use, but I can't think of any other ones!! I'm literally just printing a paper, of course I sound monotone! I AM NOT BORING!!! I don't know why I'm so angry about this, it just really bothers me.

P.S. I think you're very interesting! Why do you think you're not fun? Fun really depends on the person, doesn't it? I'm sure for a lot of people you're very exciting! (Including me)

P.S.S. Sorry this is such a long reply, I just needed to rant about it.

P.S.S.S. I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help me get through my current predicament. You made my day~:hugs:

·
Registered
40 Posts
@ThatOneHipsterDude (is this how to tag??)

You're welcome.

Here is some suggestions, based on things I have discovered, experienced and investigated... I find that asking the other person questions is usually a good starter - and remembering the answers, so that the next time you see them, you can ask them about it. Its like building a file of another person in your mind. For me, less is more, and quality over quantity. So a few meaningful questions here and there. I don't really give gifts as such, but if we are going for a coffee, I might buy theirs for them. Personally I find people who are bubbly and emotional all the time more exhausting to be around than people who are quieter and more thoughtful. If you invest in someone and they still leave, well, everyone has a free choice.. but if you are worried about making such an investment in someone who you don't know that well then perhaps you are looking to someone else for what you should begin searching inside yourself for? Happiness? (I don't believe that happiness looks like the way you have described it in your post)

At a guess from your examples, you are still in school... because I would imagine that most people who become stuck laughing at nothing for three minutes were also thinking the same as you but were afraid of standing out if they didn't continue in endless laughing unison with each other. Because it sounds a little (lot) immature to me. Its best to be true to yourself, eventually that is what wins over the right people for you. It can be lonely doing that, but I believe there are not that many people (no one) out there who fits into the 'perfect life' that is portrayed to us in the media - how to present yourself, what to do with your life etc, unless they are making themselves do it... Me for one, am the complete opposite.

So good luck to you. I hope I was able to help you and you didn't find this too extreme ;)

P.S. I do indeed think I am a fun person. I enjoy my own company and, in the right situations, can share fun with others. it just takes a lot of coaxing and only reveals itself when I am comfortable.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I experience feelings & emotions (which aren't the same thing, but that's too long a story):
1- Viscerally
2- Mentally
3- In the heart
4- In the throat

The location carries information that I can translate into a detached understanding of self. So depending on the location I can identify what's going on with me, what thoughts or impressions are provoking the feelings or emotions, whether something is deep rooted or superficial/temporary, and a bunch of other info.
I separate 'thoughts' from 'impressions' because half of my emotional state is due to immediate reactions to the environment, such as witnessing beauty. There's no thought process when beauty slaps me in the face, I just automatically feel.

I don't feel verbally, I don't even know what that would be like. Words aren't part of my body, they're abstract tools in my brain, so they are a way of expressing X (if I choose to express, that is), not X itself.

I have difficulty expressing feelings/emotions, typical famous Fi-Ne funnel analogy. Too much stuff, not enough space to get it all out. My throat contains a lot of heavy emotion and usually none of it comes out, just stays stuck there. To unstuck, I do a process of getting the energy from throat to heart. It takes a little while, and it takes a quiet environment, preferably solitude.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts