Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mainly because of their functions. ISTJs Si-Te tends to value order, consistency, mantaining their environment safe, while following external procedures that have been proven to work in the past. It's often very prepared, likes security and often avoids facing change or impredictability because of their inferior Ne. On the other hand, ISTPs Ti-Se tends to value making sense of the world in a logical manner while following internal systems and engaging in direct practical way with the world (unlike INTPs who tend to have a more theoretical approach). Hence the "craftsman" nickname it often gets. They are often more skeptical about external procedures, and rather trust their own internal logic. Only as a colorful example of trusting external vs. internal procedures, if an ISTJ is about to cross the street, no vehicles are coming and the light is red, they are more likely not to cross the street. If an ISTP is in the same situation, they are more likely to cross the street.
On a second note, I observed ISTJs tend to be more in touch with their emotions and if well developed they don't have as hard of a time connecting to those of others due to tertiary Fi, while ISTPs tend to be more closed off to their emotions and those of others due to inferior Fe. It's often harder for the last one to develop the emotional side of their personality.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mainly because of their functions. ISTJs Si-Te tends to value order, consistency, mantaining their environment safe, while following external procedures that have been proven to work in the past. It's often very prepared, likes security and often avoids facing change or impredictability because of their inferior Ne. On the other hand, ISTPs Ti-Se tends to value making sense of the world in a logical manner while following internal systems and engaging in direct practical way with the world (unlike INTPs who tend to have a more theoretical approach). Hence the "craftsman" nickname it often gets. They are often more skeptical about external procedures, and rather trust their own internal logic. Only as a colorful example of trusting external vs. internal procedures, if an ISTJ is about to cross the street, no vehicles are coming and the light is red, they are more likely not to cross the street. If an ISTP is in the same situation, they are more likely to cross the street.
On a second note, I observed ISTJs tend to be more in touch with their emotions and if well developed they don't have as hard of a time connecting to those of others due to tertiary Fi, while ISTPs tend to be more closed off to their emotions and those of others due to inferior Fe. It's often harder for the last one to develop the emotional side of their personality.
Thanks... nice overview.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
My moms ISTJ (I used to have her confused as INTJ) & well I’m STP who tests very close to the line so I’m going to compare and contrast her and I in stereotypes we fit of our types in some areas we don’t fit stereotypes in others.

-My mom will wake up to show up to an amusement park and wait in the parking lot an hour before the place opens. She has to be every where early. She will literally pack pre cut veggies to make sandwiches and package all this separately.
-Me: Would prefer to sleep in and eat breakfast on the way, and then pick up Sub Sandwiches from a sub shop to keep in the car.

-She could put a crack head to sleep reading them the ENTIRE restaurant menu. No like this lady literally needs a copy of every restaurant menu. She either prints one off, or asks for one. She does not want to go to a new place without haven read the menu ahead.
-Me I just assess what type of food I’m in the mood for, and order my favorite meal usually of the kind of food I feel like.

-Has spreadsheets of her finances all written down. (Hell she probably has some from 1992 for all I know 🤣).
-Me: Guesstimates with mental math about where my account is. I have a lock so I can’t withdraw what I do not have. I just pay my bills and ball park the rest. I will say my mother is working with a much larger budget as my step dad makes six figures. I just live pay check to pay check as a single mom. So she has more to budget than me lol.

-My mother is very domesticated in her skills. I don’t mean this in a bad way. She’s an amazing cook. She’s very precise in folding/creases. Etc.
-While I learned how to cook from her. And I technically know how to do laundry ‘properly’. I would never invest the time she does. She’ll make everything from scratch to make dumpling soup. I cheat and go to the store and buy the already baked chicken, & canned carrots, so I get the food within an hour (tastes same, well actually better because I season better 🤣🤣🤣). I would never slave over a stove or iron all day. She does. As I said I cheat.

-This woman should never be allowed to watch news 🤣. She is actually NOT radical for either side (she’s actually quite objective). But she will quote crime & death rates constant. You can’t leave to get ice cream without hearing what your odds of survival are 🤣.

-Now this one may sound funny with the contrast because she’s a J & I’m a P.
But she is mini hoarder. She could never become a full blown nut ball about it. But I suspect her Si keeps her attached to some of these items she needs to dump. She has what I consider ugly unnecessary things that are not even cohesive all over. (Knick Knacks). Anything from a nice vase, to ugly China, to weird dolls, and some great great great great grand persons pipe. 🤣.
-But she actually has all her children and grand children’s photos in hidden non displayed views of the home. (So sentimental about old crap on display but not her people lol).
- Me can’t stand Knick Knacks. I think they’re ugly. Less is more. The few things I do display is, oh wow it’s magic photos of my family/friends.

-She’s actually a life long Stoner. It’s honestly annoying. I can’t stand the smell of weed and hippie shit. She’s actually really annoying in her use. I scolded her last year for hitting a blunt with my eldest daughter in front of my youngest daughter. (Like wtf I don’t raise my kids like that). She’s really obsessed with being a ‘cool grandma’ part of why she wants to drink up and smoke up my eldest.
-Me not a stoner. I mean sure I was under the age of 20. But I only eat a brownie or take a toke like once or twice a year. I bring this up because of peoples impressions that STJ are all law abiding. And all STP are into substance use. I sure as fuck don’t do it with and in front of my kids. Either of them the few times a year I do. I sure as fuck don’t care if I’m a ‘cool mom’ 🤣. I don’t need to party w/minors especially my kids. That’s low class, trash.

Parenting Styles:
-My mom was huge on cleaning. And we could never ever ever talk back. She never checked home work. And we were allowed to come and go and do whatever substances we wanted without follow up. Always pulling joints out to impress all my friends. Was otherwise removed and distant.
-Me homework is the biggest emphasis to having a life here. While I don’t just let my kids be complete assholes. They are humans who can speak, not just when spoken to. I dont smoke up my daughters friends because I’m not still 17 years old mentally and have boundaries.

Work:
-My mom has always known how to marry well and not work and managed to get what she wanted
-Me has not married well. Has worked sometimes 3 jobs at a time. And worked my self silly. This may be why I act like more of an adult. I have more at stake for example than just self respect if I go and drive drunk or smoke up a minor that’s a huge liability aside from just my principles.

Her: This woman literally is planning it will take her 3 years to plan, and organize properly in order to move and sell their current home 🤣. She’ll spend two weeks prepping a project. She spends so much time prepping projects lol.
Me: If I need to paint I make a list look at swatches, compare colors, tape, mud, paint done in a few days from the idea of conception. And I don’t make slaves (children) do half the work.

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
8,757 Posts
I don't really know, other than I can generally spot the difference and determine when someone is either an ISTP or ISTJ. Generally speaking, I find ISTPs to prefer to keep things informal while ISTJs tend to prefer something that is approved and official than to keep something tenuous and informal.

As friends I find both to be pretty good with ISTPs tending toward wanting to hang out then disappear for a while, while ISTJs tend to prefer to meet up on a fairly regular schedule. So I suppose:

ISTP - General goals and unscheduled and loosely planned on how to achieve those goals.
ISTJ - Specific goals and detailed schedule and/or plans on how to achieve those goals.

I find that at work, ISTPs will try to seem more ISTJ and off work, ISTJs will try to be more go with the flow like ISTP. 🙂

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My moms ISTJ (I used to have her confused as INTJ) & well I’m STP who tests very close to the line so I’m going to compare and contrast her and I in stereotypes we fit of our types in some areas we don’t fit stereotypes in others.

-My mom will wake up to show up to an amusement park and wait in the parking lot an hour before the place opens. She has to be every where early. She will literally pack pre cut veggies to make sandwiches and package all this separately.
-Me: Would prefer to sleep in and eat breakfast on the way, and then pick up Sub Sandwiches from a sub shop to keep in the car.

-She could put a crack head to sleep reading them the ENTIRE restaurant menu. No like this lady literally needs a copy of every restaurant menu. She either prints one off, or asks for one. She does not want to go to a new place without haven read the menu ahead.
-Me I just assess what type of food I’m in the mood for, and order my favorite meal usually of the kind of food I feel like.

-Has spreadsheets of her finances all written down. (Hell she probably has some from 1992 for all I know 🤣).
-Me: Guesstimates with mental math about where my account is. I have a lock so I can’t withdraw what I do not have. I just pay my bills and pall park the rest. I will say my mother is working with a much larger budget as my step dad makes six figures. I just live pay check to pay check as a single mom. So she has more to budget than me lol.

-My mother is very domesticated in her skills. I don’t mean this in a bad way. She’s an amazing cook. She’s very precise in folding/creases. Etc.
-While I learned how to cook from her. And I technically know how to do laundry ‘properly’. I would never invest the time she does. She’ll make everything from scratch to make dumpling soup. I cheat and go to the store and buy the already baked chicken, & canned carrots, so I get the food within an hour (tastes same, well actually better because I season better 🤣🤣🤣). I would never slave over a stove or iron all day. She does. As I said I cheat.

-This woman should never be allowed to watch news 🤣. She is actually NOT radical for either side (she’s actually quite objective). But she will quote crime & death rates constant. You can’t leave to get ice cream without hearing what your odds of survival are 🤣.

-Now this one may sound funny with the contrast because she’s a J & I’m a P.
But she is mini hoarder. She could never become a full blown nut ball about it. But I suspect her Si keeps her attached to some of these items she needs to dump. She has what I consider ugly unnecessary things that are not even cohesive all over. (Knick Knacks). Anything from a nice vase, to ugly China, to weird dolls, and some great great great great grand persons pipe. 🤣.
-But she actually has all her children and grand children’s photos in hidden non displayed views of the home. (So sentimental about old crap on display but not her people lol).
- Me can’t stand Knick Knacks. I think they’re ugly. Less is more. The few things I do display is, oh wow it’s magic photos of my family/friends.

-She’s actually a life long Stoner. It’s honestly annoying. I can’t stand the smell of weed and hippie shit. She’s actually really annoying in her use. I scolded her last year for hitting a blunt with my eldest daughter in front of my youngest daughter. (Like wtf I don’t raise my kids like that). She’s really obsessed with being a ‘cool grandma’ part of why she wants to drink up and smoke up my eldest.
-Me not a stoner. I mean sure I was under the age of 20. But I only eat a brownie or take a toke like once or twice a year. I bring this up because of peoples impressions that STJ are all law abiding. And all STP are into substance use. I sure as fuck don’t do it with and in front of my kids. Either of them the few times a year I do. I sure as fuck don’t care if I’m a ‘cool mom’ 🤣. I don’t need to party w/minors especially my kids. That’s low class, trash.

Parenting Styles:
-My mom was huge on cleaning. And we could never ever ever talk back. She never checked home work. And we were allowed to come and go and do whatever substances we wanted without follow up. Always pulling joints out to impress all my friends. Was otherwise removed and distant.
-Me homework is the biggest emphasis to having a life here. While I don’t just let my kids be complete assholes. They are humans who can speak, not just when spoken to. I dont smoke up my daughters friends because I’m not still 17 years old mentally and have boundaries.

Work:
-My mom has always known how to marry well and not work and managed to get what she wanted
-Me has not married well. Has worked sometimes 3 jobs at a time. And worked my self silly. This may be why I act like more of an adult. I have more at stake for example than just self respect if I go and drive drunk or smoke up a minor that’s a huge liability aside from just my principles.

Her: This woman literally is planning it will take her 3 years to plan, and organize properly in order to move and sell their current home 🤣. She’ll spend two weeks prepping a project. She spends so much time prepping projects lol.
Me: If I need to paint I make a list look at swatches, compare colors, tape, mud, paint done in a few days from the idea of conception. And I don’t make slaves (children) do half the work.

Thanks for sharing this. So very entertainingly written by you. Your mum sounds like an amazing character. My nan is an ISTJ and some of the things you describe remind me of her (such as being really early for appointments).

I like the way that you contrasted your way of doing things with hers. You really brought your characters to life.

Loved this :love:

·
Registered
♊♋♑
54 Posts
I always find this so weird... Yeah if you only ever took 16P tests they'll look similar: ISTx, but based on functions they're so different, an ENFP might actually be more similar to ISTJ than ISTP

Coming from someone who self-typed as ISTJ but now thinks she's an INFP (cause I just assumed I was a thinker because I think a lot and act cold as a coping mechanism, so I focused on INTJ vs ISTJ only first. Learning more about the functions, I just can't deny my strong Fi and my Te is honestly too weak, also my Ne is too strong, but at least I got functions right)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always find this so weird... Yeah if you only ever took 16P tests they'll look similar: ISTx, but based on functions they're so different, an ENFP might actually be more similar to ISTJ than ISTP

Coming from someone who self-typed as ISTJ but now thinks she's an INFP (cause I just assumed I was a thinker because I think a lot and act cold as a coping mechanism, so I focused on INTJ vs ISTJ only first. Learning more about the functions, I just can't deny my strong Fi and my Te is honestly too weak, also my Ne is too strong, but at least I got functions right)
Yes I could understand your point of view. Looking into the cognitive functions can make things so much clearer.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So Se vs Si?
The easiest way to tell is to check if someone keeps records of the things that get done.
Se just wants to get the things done while Si wants to put the things on the right place to make a good procedure.
I get confused about my type a lot but I can tell you that I'm 100% Se over Si and don't give a duck about procedures or what might happen in the distant future...

·
Registered
442 Posts

You seem to suffer the same confusion as I about finding out your type.
I also got the functions right but can't decide how to put them in the right order, even after all these years.
Mind if I pm you?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts