Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick wonder for those around.

For long time now I've notice it's been almost impossible to get ANYONE interested in my own interests. Here's 3 reasons, but more can probably be added:

1. They don't have time - I usually like sending people interesting articles I've come across to get them to read. Some are long, some are average, but regardless, no one really makes it past the first paragraph. For example, a few girls whom I do know quite well , I send them that "how to care for an ENTP" or that "Detective ENTP and the mystery of Fi" article when they ask me why I am still single. None of them read it. I explained the funs of that article to why I am single, hoping to bait them to reading it. But nope, nada. People always seem to have better things to do and pursue that's not my interests.

2. No attention span/lack of intelligence - I don't share stupid stuff, everything I do share I believe to be quite enlightening and beneficial to some way or another, or when someone asks what I like doing and I link them a cool site about it. People see the site, read the first sentence and zzzzz...

3. If it's not stupid/funny/idiotic/conventional - then it's not worth their time. They'll watch a stupid cat fall off a table, or watch a celebrity fight another celebrity, or watch a clip of all the highlights of the exciting bits in X drama, but they won't watch my 30 second clip of a guy training a Harris Hawk to go after a pigeon.

Turn it around, I am usually massively interested at other people's hobbies to the point where I will research it and then quiz them about it or even join them. I also make it into a game to try and beat them at it. But no one does the same back to me. Of course I haven't called them out for it, as that would be unfair and unreasonable. My things are necessarily always complex or deep either. For example, someone asked what game I played, I said I played Street Fighter IV and watch online matches, then linked them to a simple 1.5 minute video of a live match with a crowd. I figured it was the best way to explain rather than me writing 2 big paragraphs to them. Turn it around, I ask them what they play, and usually end up trying a demo or even buying the game.

At the end of all this, I guess all I can really say is, my reaction to everytime someone doesn't read up on, or look up my interests, is this:

EDIT: People at work and friends have said they like my writing style, especially in e-mails, for example, and how I explain my points across. I often get them asking me to write about X activity. For example, I done a (Walking) marathon last year (with a group of people from work), wrote an EPIC story, and only 3 people replied (out of about 70 in the e-mail list) saying they've read it all and enjoyed it because of how it was presented. It had about 2000 words.

In retrospect, some other people who done other marathons in the same office, sent around saying "congrats to all those who finished! we raised £20000" (etc....) gotten many many many people talking to them about it. But all they can say is "yeh it was hard" where as I told it like I've just came back from a WAR.

EDIT2: In respect to the first reply

tl;dr: ppl dumb no understand me. what do?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TL;DR: Use TL;DR techniques.

The long version:

I've found making TL;DR summaries for everything over four or five words. This includes articles sent :)

I did laugh at the simplicty of your reply, but that doesn't allow me to express precisely why I like this, why I'm passionate about this and why you should join me on this! hahaha

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Stop expecting people to care so god damned much about you and what's in your head. They are very likely not interested in your hobbies because they are not interested in you, more than to the extent that you touch their life, which is what interests them.

People don't care about other people, generally, because they have a busy schedule caring about themselves and a few select other people in their lives, and even those people they only care about to some extent. I have lots of hobbies and interests, and i pursue them alone or with other people i know share them. Don't try to proselytize, it's a waste of your time.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Bribes, mainly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Stop expecting people to care so god damned much about you and what's in your head. They are very likely not interested in your hobbies because they are not interested in you, more than to the extent that you touch their life, which is what interests them.

People don't care about other people, generally, because they have a busy schedule caring about themselves and a few select other people in their lives, and even those people they only care about to some extent. I have lots of hobbies and interests, and i pursue them alone or with other people i know share them. Don't try to proselytize, it's a waste of your time.
This is somewhat true, you aren't the ugly little duckling OP. Most people share your case and very few people actually go out of their way to appreciate strangers (especially in professional settings).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Investment Theory.

Short of the long: the initial investment (their time/energy) that you're asking them to make is WAY too big. You have to garnish their interest in baby steps, especially when it's something outside of the big 3 (money, love, and sex). Pull out the bells and whistles before you whip out the fine print.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
You just asked us why people are too stupid to be interested in what you like with a TL;DR post.

Not sure where you're coming from, l tend to build whatever dynamic there will be with whichever group l'm dealing with.

Honestly, l wouldn't know how to respond to you if approached me randomly about your interests or kept bringing it up.

lf you avoided answering direct questions that way, l would also ignore you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Investment Theory.

Short of the long: the initial investment (their time/energy) that you're asking them to make is WAY too big.
After analysing all the print, I guess this hit home.

I suppose the rant I started with was a bit out of minor frustration over an extended period of time and how easy I am to get proselytize in comparison. I actually ask for little to nothing of anyone nor expect anything of them either, and the OP would be in the context of people I've known over time. I only share my interests when asked, and rarely directly share/introduce them without a motive.

I think I need to seek new people haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts