Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's wonderful being in love but every once in a while you need to back off and give each other alone time. It can come as a shock because these times usually happen just when things seem really close and "good". I see it as a natural part of any relationship, and it gets more important the more intimate you are.

In a previous relationship I used to take off and go fishing. That worked until I realized I was going fishing way too frequently.

Then in another came motorcycles. I realized after a while I would rather ride my motorcycle than ride my wife at the time.

So in my current long-distance relationship we just maintain "radio silence" for a while. We get to see each other one week out of each month, and the rest of the time we're joined at the hip via texts and chat like a clustered pair of servers. These times are difficult because we usually know what each other is thinking all the time.

So what do you do when you and your SO need to spend time apart? Do you have a schedule? How do you let the other know that you're having your "time" so they don't freak out or think you're having second thoughts?

Just wondered.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
My wife and I actually talked about this in great depth when we decided to get married and move in together. We don't actually have a schedual, we just tell each other that we need time alone or away and that is that. No hurt feelings as we talked about how we would handle it when we would need the time.

Sometimes it's as simple as one of us leaving for personal errands and staying out for the day. We so far have not wanted to be seperate at night, but I don't have a problem with it if she does want that.

She has had favors she did for friends, of watching their animals for the weekend and I always use this time for alone time. Of course, with three kids it can be hard to get. We also have our own seperate friends we hang with whenever we want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.