Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how you go and do things you doubt.
How do you build up the courage/enthusiasm just to 'try' something you haven't before?
I was wondering about how you'd go about trusting people when you haven't for years, how you'd be more daring/adventurous etc?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Well, you sure don't do it by asking about it.

I think the the secret is to just trust that whatever you're doing was designed to be done, and start it. A good example of this was when I went cliff diving. I got to the cliff, got scared, but then realized a bunch of other people just did it, so it's probably OK.

The other, more advanced secret is to not be worried about failing. Nobody's taking away your human card if you screw up. You get laughed at, and five years later it's a happy memory for everyone who saw it.

What's hard for me are issues where I think I might offend, creep out, or hurt someone. I don't have any good answers for those. Some people talk about just being upfront, but I don't think that's always wise.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Sometimes when I'm a little unsure of trying something new, I just have my friends give me some encouragement to try it and see if i like it. If you mess up the first time, just keep trying. Imagine if people in the world gave up on learning how to ride a bike, just because they fell off the first time?

Reactions: Tad Cooper

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
For me, it has always simply been a "mind over matter" thing. I decide to do something and I do it, even if it scares the heck out of me.

Now, it's just a matter of habit, but I know when I was younger I had to work at it more. Two things that worked for me:

1) Tell other people my plans. The integrity of my word is important to me, so if I say I'm going to do something, I will always find a way to do it. Even if I'll never see that person again the fact that I've said I'll do it, my own sense of honour binds me to do it.

2) I've always found the following quote (don't know who first said it) useful to buck up my courage: “Be brave. Even if you’re not, pretend to be. No one can tell the difference.”

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Draw a line, and continue like you've had no thoughts previous. It's just what's gonna happen in your mind. The worst thing I can do when I want to start something like say positive thinking is start thinking of a strategy. Just go for it. With people it's more difficult, I guess try to alter the experiences you have with them? If you're doing different things it doesn't have to be -that time before-. Maybe clear out any pent up feelings too so you can go ahead without anything blocking out, or anything they might sense. And call them out on anything you find suspicious - be direct so you don't wind up in a scary situation. Not necessarily in an agressive way. Best to be safe rather than sorry.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The motivation for me to give it a go is usually a build-up of negative emotions. At some point I realize I've gotten into a vicious circle of sad/anxious/avoidant thoughts, and feel compelled to try something new. Try to improve what has been making me feel bad or something like that.

The thought that we all only have a limited lifespan is also very motivational for me to try and get as much out of life as possible. It all sounds so cliché, but... it's true. It's just such a shame to waste your life never having seen and experienced a lot of things or having spent most of your life feeling unhappy.

Also, if that all doesn't convince you, a last resort could be getting high. For some reason that always motivates me to try and improve my life and be as adventurous as possible as well. And I'm talking about the long-term effects, when the high itself is already long gone.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Trusting people I haven't in years? Hmm, if I'm doing something daring and I don't trust them uhhh lol. I would probably want to trust them to some degree. XD

As far as building up the courage, just tell yourself you only live once! And go for it!!

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
"how I go and do things I doubt"?

If I'm doubting something, at some level, I am aware of what my strengths/weaknesses are. If I have to force myself to try something that I feel doubtful of, it's usually my gut signaling something is wrong.

Conquering one's fears, moving out of that comfort zone verses listening to that quiet intuition? Each experience has something different to offer, something new to learn. Depends on how much you want to risk at the expense of what you feel you will gain. You can be true to yourself without losing too much of yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts