Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you go in with a list? Do you get enough for a meal? A week's worth?
Do you shop when your hungry?

·
Registered
821 Posts
My methods have evolved:

Age Method
< 19 Mainly bought candy, soda, donuts, and fried chicken.
19-20 Went to store every day randomly buying whatever looks interesting.
20-26 Made a list and meticulously crossed each item off.
27-Present Buy pretty much the same things. I go to the store whenever I need them.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
Buy the essentials: Frozen dinners, sandwhich crafting mats, drinks. Then buy stuff on the list I made.
Then buy extras: Munchies - mostly cookies and candy

I have to create a list beforehand of the things I definitely need. Stuff like milk and eggs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I shop mostly when I am out of too many things to buy at a convenience store.

I don't make a list, I don't look at prices, I just know I need this so I pick it up. If I see a sign for a managers special on some other brand rather than the one I normally buy then I'll most probably give it a try. I'm not very brand loyal for most things but there are certain things that have to be a certain brand. Mayo for example HAS to be Hellman's (Best Foods in west coast).

I don't plan anything, so if I go hungry it becomes a mess. I'm like "I'll buy this and eat it when I get home" then 2 minutes later "Oh no I'll buy this and eat it when I get home, that other thing tomorrow" then 2 minutes later "oh no, I'll buy THIS for now ..." you get the idea.

I NEVER buy any of those things that people just tend to have in their fridge like basically any type of green stuff.

I can not express how much I hate going grocery shopping. Whenever I get back home I start remembering everything I forgot to buy.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I try to shop for a week to two weeks worth of meals at a time. I'll bring lists and make big pots of x and then freeze and refrigerate for later. Sometimes I go to get something essential like I did this morning and I'll leave the list at home and just pick up a few things. That usually turns into going to the store almost everyday of the week and picking up $10-20 worth of stuff. But usually I try to plan ahead and I usually have a list. I write all the items in the order they are in the store.
I also try to go shopping at weird hours or at the stores further away because the one right near my house is terrible. It was once rated as some top 10 spot to meet women by playboy. No one ever watches where they are going.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do make a list, and shop about once every 10 days. Completely unaware of weekly specials and discounts.
I avoid times when the store is completely full OR completely empty. Weekday pre-lunch time is a good moderate crowd without long lines or aisle-crowding awkwardness.

I also try to go shopping at weird hours or at the stores further away because the one right near my house is terrible. It was once rated as some top 10 spot to meet women by playboy. No one ever watches where they are going.
ROFL!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Put together list in my head of stuff that's a) easy and b) provides basic nutrients.
Sometimes I then get to the store and forget stuff, but looking for the nutrients I need can be fun.
Usually, I just end up buying poptarts, milk, and stuff that mixes with milk that has vitamins and whatnot within.
And fruit. I like fruit.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Can you believe that while I was grocery shopping with my mum today, all I could think was, "Wow, this is awful. I should make a thread about grocery shopping on the INTP subforum when I get home."

I don't do grocery shopping for myself. The only time I really go into a supermarket is to pick up one specific item, like a magazine, or some sort of sugary product I'm craving.

In the future, I can see myself just buying a lot of own-brand crap. I can't taste the difference between brands most of the time, except for that one jar of chocolate spread from Morrisons that was, like...crunchy or something...ugh, I don't even want to consider it. When I'm not under stupid amounts of pressure like I am now, I usually try to eat 'healthily', but more along the lines of preservative-stuffed meals and snacks that have 'low fat' on the front. I can see laziness and stinginess taking priority over health when I have to shop for myself.

On the subject of laziness, there's a chance I'll be too tired to go to the supermarket most of the time. Maybe I'll just get home delivery...or buy in bulk.

·
Registered
270 Posts
When my mom shops, she buys enough food for the next two weeks. All I know is, when I go to college or when I'm living on my own, I'm only going to buy essential things like ramen, drinks, peanut butter, jelly, bread, crackers and cookies. Goldfish crackers will be bought every time I go to the grocery store, I'll tell you that much.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I actually really like grocery shopping when the stores aren't too busy. When I'm living on my own I usually go a couple times a week so I can get fresh produce and so I don't have to carry a lot back to my house since I usually walk.

I'll go in with a few essentials on a list (stuff that I would be mad if I forgot) then kind of wing the rest. Since I only shop for myself and I mainly eat produce based meals I cant stock up or it will just go bad. And if I am hungry when I shop I usually come back with some sugar-laden baked goods that I later regret buying. Overall I find shopping enjoyable and it gets me out of the house in times when I might have a tendency to be a bit of a recluse.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The local grocery store is right across the street so I'm lucky that it's easy to swing by when I get home around 4:57.

I recognize most of the cashiers too and either hit up "green haired girl", or "duder's" check out line since we have a mutual understanding not to chit chat about the weather.

Since I'm so close I rarely shop for more than a day or two at a time. I usually go in thinking lasagna, meat loaf, chicken oregano, steak, salad, or frozen stuff. I pretty much never buy sweets unless it's jell-o or something because shit is expensive and if I'm going to live alone I'm keeping my HBO package instead. When i just want to eat so I don't have to bother leaving the apartment later, i grab something hot even if it's terrible.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't shop a lot, but when I do, I make a mental list with all the things I should buy, think where they are located, and then end it as quick as possible. I do have to confess I sometimes like to shop, I like the sight of overload of products. The people annoy me though, supermarkets should be open all night, would solve things.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am so bad at planning things out. I just go in and get what I need at the moment for the next day or two. :/ Which results in the need in going to the grocery stores frequently...

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
i usually shop for a week, maybe two if im stretching it. I used to shop almost daily but now i have less money. If i bought for a whole month at a time i would run out of the good stuff way early and end up being annoyed the rest of the month.

Reactions: Nordom
1 - 20 of 51 Posts