Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I look through this INFP forum, I laugh because I wonder where have all the versions of me been all my life :crazy:

How do you grow/mature with your creativity?

Do you do it through writing/ analyzing / how you talk to your friends, etc? :D

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
I haven't :( I'm not at all creative, at least not that I know of.

I dabble in photography every now and again I suppose. I once started writing a book (which got about a chapter in and then I lost interest). Oh, and I once did a little doodle on a sheet of A4 and coloured it in :tongue:

Seriously, I am NOT at all creative... yet I'm apparently an INFP. Strange.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Drawing and music.

I gave up trying to talk to people because I seem to speak a different language to them which is frustrating at times ¬¬

My drawing ain't anything amazing but I enjoy it, What is most annoying is trying to be a perfectionist at something you ain't professionally good at, Which I end up doing when drawing haha.

For Music I play Drums, Guitar and bass, playing songs and making up my own stuff or just making noises :) I also love the sounds of a flute.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I don't think that you can grow/mature your creativity...I don't think, atleast. It's there or it's not, you just have to use it.

Reactions: Goosefish

·
Registered
391 Posts
Writing - books and music - and appreciating others' creativity as well. My styles have matured. I cringe at my first book. I wish I had written this differently, and put it that way instead. But, oh well. And my taste in music has matured.

In my books, the characters get to do things I would never get to do irl. I can experience space flight, climbing Mt. Everest, cast a magic spell, explore a laboratory, all from the comfort of my computer. I suppose I could gain similar experience from reading books. But each main character in each story I write grows and progresses - matures in ways I would like to.

I'm rambling, and I don't know if this answers your question. :laughing:

·
Registered
717 Posts
A fun way is to think of something that you would never even think of doing or to change something that feels set in stone. Drop all of the rules and the ways you think about the world, and do something so crazy that it doesn't seem crazy at all!

Or a more productive way to engage your creativity is to think of something that you need or that needs to be done and try to make the thing you need out of objects you already have but aren't using or to think of a new way to do the thing that needs to be done.

Sorry, all of this is very non-specific. :proud:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Writing. Composing music.

Doing those things, for me, encourages me to express what is inside, and as I gain experience in doing so, and become more comfortable with it, the natural desire grows to expand the expression in new ways...to try different types of writing, different forms of music that may not come naturally, so that my creativity can become flexible, and so that I feel I can express myself with more freedom.

Creative witticisms. I like using wordplay, especially multi-layered puns (puns that apply to multiple things at once, which increases the humor and response in the listener) and riddles. When you do this, you are giving a workout routine for your creative mind to find connections. Here is a visual example of a wordplay riddle I drew up for fun once. The riddle answer is one of the MBTI types...can you guess which one?

There are two kinds of creativity I think about in particular: Creating things that defy the conventional and ordinary through discovering a unique set of connections between different elements, both external and internal. And then another form of creativity is to take what is ordinary and conventional and to accentuate and exaggerate its attributes to produce a particular effect that may be clever, unsettling, melancholic, etc. It's good to exercise both, I believe. There are obviously more forms of creativity, but I use these the most.

An idea I have for maturing creativity is to increase your attentiveness to everything. Discover the things you mentally pass by, whether objects, sensory input, or ideas, and contemplate them. For example, when you are walking outdoors, you might look at the plants, and think about which species of vegetation come across as being male or female. Imagine what they would be like if they interacted. Which ones would be gruff and intimidating, and which ones would be jocular and cheerful, or shy? Such an exercise is fun, allows personal and unique impressions to be conjured up, and encourages the formation of creative connections with the external.

I'll probably think of more later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts