Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Communication with INFPs have always been very easy for me. We exchange ideas and converse like there's no tomorrow. Although I have to say, I've been misunderstood by INFPs that don't know me very well. Communication always seems effortless though.

We also seem to have the same reaction in crisis situations-- Te takes over and Fi doesn't come until everything has been handled. It's so interesting how similar yet completely different we are.

I find it's a really good relationship if both parties can understand each other. I would have to say, ESTJs may exhaust INFPs with their Te. And INFPs may exhaust ESTJs with their Fi. But that's just how it goes-- as long as both parties can accept one another as they are, it's a great relationship. One of the deepest and most meaningful.

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,339 Posts
I have noted in my interactions with INFP's that I tend to feel like I'm being a jerk around them...like they are pissed off at me because I am so opinionated and they are so gentle. They are quiet while I go on a rant-page and I find myself totally unable to read them and feeling like they are thinking, "Sure, you opinionated asshat...go on spouting your bullshit even though I'm way smarter than you and you know it."

It doesn't stop me from being attracted to them. Female FP's in general are like a drug. I'm profoundly drawn to them.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,685 Posts
They are quiet while I go on a rant-page and I find myself totally unable to read them and feeling like they are thinking, "Sure, you opinionated asshat...go on spouting your bullshit even though I'm way smarter than you and you know it."
Confirmed.

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,339 Posts

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,339 Posts
lol. I wonder if it's because I'm a female ESTJ and my interactions with male INFP has never happened the way you described. Perhaps, gender roles plays into this.
It's all in my head. I find myself talking nonstop because introvert girls make me nervous and then I think they think I'm a d-bag or something. I'm spouting opinions about something and they remain silent and I interpret the silence as, "I disagree so strongly with your position that I refuse to say anything that would dignify it with a response," which leads to me talking even more and even more silence.

For all I know they're thinking, "Crud, I have to stop by the bank on the way home. Why do I always forget these errands until the last minute? Argh. OH FRICK! I forgot to put my favorite show on record on the DVR. DANG IT! Why does this crap always happen to me? Wait, is he still talking???"

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's all in my head. I find myself talking nonstop because introvert girls make me nervous and then I think they think I'm a d-bag or something. I'm spouting opinions about something and they remain silent and I interpret the silence as, "I disagree so strongly with your position that I refuse to say anything that would dignify it with a response," which leads to me talking even more and even more silence.

For all I know they're thinking, "Crud, I have to stop by the bank on the way home. Why do I always forget these errands until the last minute? Argh. OH FRICK! I forgot to put my favorite show on record on the DVR. DANG IT! Why does this crap always happen to me? Wait, is he still talking???"
Hmm... Perhaps you can try being less talkative? I've learned to listen a lot more and practice being more introverted. It's really not necessary to always say what you think/feel. One of my goals this year was to be more vague actually. And it's worked out nicely.

See if that works for you. It definitely did for me. People see me as more mysterious now. It's weird lol. But it's also less exhausting having spew out all my thoughts/feelings. Oh! And get used to awkward silence :) it's totally fine! It's actually funny being the one creating the awkward silences and allowing the other person to fill the silence.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I may help...
When, let's say, a teacher is talking to an entire class and I find what he's saying boring, I often end up thinking about random things. But when someone is talking specifically to me, I always listen and I always try to answer, even if the subject doesn't appeal to me. If someone speaks about their opinion on something, I either answer passionately by stating my own opinion on the subject (if I'm interested in said subject) or say things like "oh, okay, that's an intersting take" and then wait for the other person to go on talking (if said subject doesn't interest me).
I enjoy talking with anyone as long as the subject interests me, but if someone talks about something I don't particularly like, I will mostly remain silent (but I'll listen anyway). If I'm reaaaally not interested in the subject, or have smething more important to do than listen to them, I will find a way to make it clear, and even say it clearly if needed.
Also, if the person talking is someone I admire in a way or another, and the subject something I'm not familiar with, I may not dare to give my opinion because I'm afraid to look dumb in their eyes.

I don't know if what I said is true for all INFPs, but I hope it'll help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My girlfriend is an INFP and besides me getting upset with her for being in LaLa land and not feeling like she is paying attention communication is fine for the most part. We can talk about anything, really.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sx
4,092 Posts
My ''2nd mom'' as I like to call her is ESTJ. As a kid I was terrified by her when I would visit my friends for playdates. She's a very kind and loving person and always tries to bring people together, but when she's in a bad mood everyone would know (hear) it. Now 20 years later we know each other inside out and know exactly how we work.

I love to bait her with witty comments that I know that set her off immediately, only for her to smile after she bashes me hard, because she understands that I purposely trolled her. I may be calm and silent, but i'm still confident and know how to pick a battle.
She's very opinionated and doesn't shy away from spewing judgements. This means that I always will know that she means what she says and does give it to me straight up when she doesn't approve of something. It can be harsh and cold, sometimes we simply disagree. However, when times are tough and we need some support we are well able to talk about personal feely stuff as well, openly and honestly.

It surely isn't and never has been the most easy relationship, but it is well rewarding and interesting in its own ways. A good ESTJ friend seems to be very consistent, dependable and always there for you.

Sadly this doesn't really work this way when one of your own actual parents is xSTJ as well. A lifetime of criticism, misunderstanding and constant stress/tension. Oh my poor INFP soul :p

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Dunno if this helps but my (big) sister is possibly an ESTJ (after asking the ENTJs about it, had a hard time figuring out if she was NTJ or STJ) and we get along great! :) We don't really fight at all. We just talk about deep stuff and we usually give our opinions which we can both agree on actually.
Crazy because we're so different.
We try to tell things to our ESTJ dad but he's not as open minded as my sister is.

As for my relationship with my dad, its good but I just get really frustrated when he only seems to see the things that I do wrong all the time.
For example, he was saying that I was lazy etc because I put (uncooked) pasta in a container in the cupboard, (without a lid). I wasn't being lazy, I honestly couldn't find the lid, and I didn't know where the cling wrap was. Plus it was late and I was the only one up, so I was like, "Oh whatever I'll find something to put over it". I try to explain but he's like, "No you're just being lazy", "I didn't know where you guys put the cling wrap!", "Its in the cupboard down there.", "I didn't know it was there!", "Do you need your eyes checked?"
I honestly HARDLY ever look at that particular section of the cupboard! Lol...>_>
Then (this one is perfectly understandable) the other day he was saying my brother and I need to contribute to the gas bill because "You both take 20 minute showers (yadda yadda)".
I said that I don't take long showers all the time but he's like, "You always do!" NO I DON'T! I only take longer ones if I need to shave. My brother takes long showers all the time.
Then there's the one's about the dishes... UGH.
99% of the time I rinse my plates, but that ONE time I don't...
You know... And then apparently doing something once or rarely = doing it all the time.

He also says to my mum about leaving peanut butter out sometimes. Then I think about all the times HE'S ACTUALLY left stuff out on the bench! Butter, salt, bread whatever and he retorts, "I always put stuff away".
C'mon EVERYONE but you is saying you leave stuff out sometimes.

Compared to my sister its like... I don't know, maybe its because he's older and a bit more traditional, plus I think he's not as (mentally) healthy as my sister.

·
Registered
13,794 Posts
[MENTION=37942] ExtremelyBored you should leave little post-it notes everytime he does something like that with the evidence evident, and a smiley face. ;p

·
Registered
2 Posts

Probably one of the funniest things I’ve read today, insightful as well. We really don’t mind people spouting off, in fact we secretly kinda love it and wish we were as bold in our own proclamations! I’d recommend flipping the script though, and occasionally asking us how we feel or think about something. If we’re quiet (which is like 95% of the time) it’s because we either A) don’t actually care about the topic B) feel the topic is too nuanced to have such a definitive opinion on or C) think our opinion won’t be understood or appreciated from the perspective of those with such differing values to our own. Over-analytical to a fault, we basically will only confidently speak if we feel we have nothing to lose by sharing, or have more to gain by speaking then by keeping quiet.

342 Posts

INFX here. I can’t speak for all INFP’s, but I’m pretty incapable of tuning someone out because I am distracted by something else (unless said person is trying to engage me in a long-winded explanation of physics, computers, math, chemistry, etc.).

If you are giving an opinion on something, I am 100% tuned in, especially if it falls under ethics/morality, psychology, sociology, or the arts.

I’m pretty chatty for an introvert, so if I’m not responding AND I’m avoiding eye contact, it’s because either 1) I disagree with you and am trying to figure out a tactful way to present my argument or 2) I disagree so much, I’m trying to create an escape plan. Lol

If your INFP friend/acquaintance goes quiet and then suddenly has somewhere they need to be, then yes, you rubbed them the wrong way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.