Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I week from today, I was going to be heading down to Nashville for my second year of college. A few days ago, we learned from my school that, due to the government takeover of loans this year, I'm not able to get the money I need to continue. As an ENTP, I am naturally competitive, ambitious, and defined by my love of the learning experience. Dropping out now (or, hopefully, just taking a year off to save money) feels like not only a personal failure, but a blow to my identity. Have any other ENTPs had to come to terms with letting themselves down? Were you able to muscle through and come back?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't think you've let yourself down yet, have you? Resolve to let others not be in control of your destiny. Find a way. Hustle, borrow, steal. Well, ok, don't steal. Find as many people you respect as you can to tell you your situation is impossible - that you can't do it. Then get pissed about that and prove them wrong. Use your extraverted intuition - there is a way, just find it. Exude ENTP ambition, determination and charisma and things just seem to happen. Get a taste for conquering this obstacle and you'll be well on your way to bigger and better ones. Read "The 4-hour Work Week." This isn't a defeat, it's a challenge. ENTPs need a challenge.

Go kick some butt.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I handle it quite poorly. But as life and work has progressed I have gotten some experience with it. Often "Failures" are not of your control. Life can be a bitch. Often you only hear of the lucky examples, and not all the work and obstacles that had to be conquered first. I guess you can say I have "succeeded" in my profession etc. But I should have become filthy rich on several occasions during the last 13 years. Not that I really care about money in that way, but it would give more freedom of action.

I have thousands of ideas and have a problem with "failures" where I say: Well this didnt work out as planned. Now for something completely different and interesting (a new idea to be realized). Instead of keeping on the same track, adjusting and succeeding (my definition of it that is). OK, I have the talent to do different stuff, but I really make life hard on myself in this way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You didn't do anything wrong. That is external forces holding you back. See that stresses me out too everything I do is fine and these archaic outside forces that slow you down. I try to manipulate the situation but they just end up delaying the whole process regardless, even if you win they always get time from ya, so you just gotta have fun the whole time regardless of your situation, but not too much fun you need to save money.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I learn from my failures. I always try to take the positive out of a situation. In your case the only thing you possibly did wrong was depend on a loan for money, but that's completely normal and something like that happening is very rare. Then I think "well is this situation really that bad?" And the answer is always "no". Make the best of the situation. You have a year to do whatever the hell you want. My suggestion is to start an easy business like painting, driveway sealing, lawncare or something. Those businesses ALWAYS do well because they're in constant demand, easy to learn, and people are generally too lazy to do those tasks themselves. And you will make a lot more money doing that than working at mcdonalds or some other bitch job.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I week from today, I was going to be heading down to Nashville for my second year of college. A few days ago, we learned from my school that, due to the government takeover of loans this year, I'm not able to get the money I need to continue. As an ENTP, I am naturally competitive, ambitious, and defined by my love of the learning experience. Dropping out now (or, hopefully, just taking a year off to save money) feels like not only a personal failure, but a blow to my identity. Have any other ENTPs had to come to terms with letting themselves down? Were you able to muscle through and come back?
I wouldn't say you're the one that failed, actually. You're adjusting to what's really beyond your control, so don't be too hard on yourself. If you can't go back to school, then start a business, or do sell something, or whatever it is you want to do, and go for it, full speed ahead, and kick ass.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
We turn them into triumphs.

Trust me. That's the way it needs to work. Nothing is more than a setback or a detour. There is no failure.

You'll get your education and you'll do in a way that will give you an advantage over anyone who had it easy.

Keep trying. You'll get there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Failure is below me.

Reactions: Swelly

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Doesn't sound like it is you who has failed, so I am not sure why you'd be attributing this failure to yourself. There are times when we fail and times when factors outside fail us.
Also you can learn new things and succeed in life without getting official education. The year that you will be taking off to make some money just try to remember this.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I feel ya, pal. We feel unreasonably irritated by some kind of setback or inconvenient, and that makes us sometimes cannot think like a rocket as we do in normal situations.
Try to relax for a while, to see the things from bigger view.
And might be good to get advices from the ENFJs (or ENTJs could be good if there's NO ENFJs at all, though TJs more insensitive to our emotions). Connect with others, change focus for a while on what you've got, to find happiness.
Or if you believe in God, prayers are good to recalm your soul and enhance your faith.
When you feel eased, open, and harmonious with surrounding (and the universe), the solution comes before your eyes.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
106 Posts
you have not failed because you can still accommplish your goals. I look at barriers as hurdles that are challenging but can be over come with enough determination and hard work. There are many ways to accommplish your goals, so if you have A-Z plans just incase A does not work out ....then you can keep moving through your otherones untill one does.

The smartest person in the room is usually the one who has made the most mistakes yet learned from them:)

This is not failure it is a learning expierience

·
Registered
680 Posts
hmm...depends on what I'm failing at. I could curl up in a ball and cry in complete self pity over some of the most trivial things, but could also not give much of a sh$t, shrug my shoulders about things that many people would be devastated by. I'm just weird. And volatile. And crazy.

Reactions: Third Engine

·
Registered
198 Posts
you have not failed because you can still accommplish your goals. I look at barriers as hurdles that are challenging but can be over come with enough determination and hard work. There are many ways to accommplish your goals, so if you have A-Z plans just incase A does not work out ....then you can keep moving through your otherones untill one does.

The smartest person in the room is usually the one who has made the most mistakes yet learned from them:)

This is not failure it is a learning expierience
Nail on the head!

·
Registered
198 Posts
The things that make it hard to accomplish our goals are the ones that make them worthwhile achieving. In my last year at university, I got stuck living with a bunch of wreckheads who threw continuous 3-day parties twice a week (no exaggeration). Then a week before my dissertation was due, I had my computer stolen (no backup - my fault). I just pushed through harder than ever and in the end got my First, had my dissertation nominated for dissertation of the year, and was awarded the "Outstanding Final Year Student" prize in the department. Now looking back, the problems make the achievement even more valuable to me.

You're going to get through this and kick ass. And like someone else said - if you have to take a year out and work in some shitty job, that will make you stronger too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you've ever heard/followed Neuro-Linguistic Programming, there's a pre-supposition that follows:

"There's no such thing as failure, only feedback."

...look at everything in that way, and you're golden.
And remember these 3 facts:
Edison identified 1000 NOT to make a lightbulb, before finding the right material for the filament.
A large number of best-selling books (read: millions of sales plus film) were originally turned down by over a dozen publishers before making it into print.
Or how about the A&R guy at Decca records, who turned down The Beatles, saying they have no future in music?

...no such thing as failure bro.
It's only feedback.

Or in this case, a speed bump.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I've never known anyone who "took a year off to make money" to ever go back to school. You're going to lose money.
Take out a loan. Invest in the income gain you'll get from your degree.

If you take a year off to "make money", you'll probably work a minimum wage job and get 10-15K in a year, most of which will go to living expenses. If you have a degree, you'd be making more like 35-50K entry level. Taking a year off would cost you about $25,000 if not more.

Ok, I just re-read your post. What about different loans like Stafford, unsubsidized, or even private loans from outside your college?

A school not giving you the same type of loans is not a personal failure. Remember that you haven't failed, you've gotten screwed. It's different. Don't let them keep you out of school. Talk to a loan counselor at your school over the phone, or search on the internet or maybe even call Fannie Mae (or whoever does your current loans) before giving up.

Also, you may have to start repayment of your 1st year loans before you start year 2 if you take a year off in between.

Good Luck

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't fail, I find that gets rid of failure related problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts