Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any emotional or physical problems. I want to know if I'm weird in regards to this.

I am a researcher. Any bodily abnormality I'll go to Google, anything I can't solve- Google
The way I resolved depression was by researching it. I did solid research every day for years, gaining information, creating and testing theories. Eventually I came up with a working formula. I could write a tiny book.
Any little frustration, I research. It calms me down and I can focus on analysing information and applying it to what I know. I could be in hysterical tears, but Google saves the day.

·
Registered
591 Posts
This is a very normal response for an INTP, analyzing everything that is unknown is natural to an INTP.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Emotional: I tend to seek solace in being alone and processing my thoughts or letting the feeling dissipate. If the person that is causing me emotional distress is in the room, then the emotional response usually switches to anger. Sometimes it builds up, or spontaneously ignites. Either way, it's not good for the person the rage is directed at because it solely ends up directed at them only instead of wildly lashing out like I used to.

If it's something like research, I tend to scrap everything I can get from it and express irritation when I can not get it. Namely, this comes in the form of sighs, facedesks or suddenly getting up and finding something to do for a 5-10 min break like reading manga or staring at the wall.

I try to state when I'm angry because of course, facial expressions tend to be analyzed by mostly 'S' people, and as many NTs attest to, we have a natural 'resting bitch / serial killer face' when in reality, we could be in our heads and not emotionally connected to anything around us at any given moment.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hmmm. Not always Google, but usually the two INTP misters really has what I need.
(reference to the founders of Google who both seems to be INTPs actually)

Figuring any solution to any great deal of problems I have isn't only Internet solutions, I research through a great deal of information storages. Google is the main one I cannot deny that.

Books are more powerful though.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
By not having problems. Or ignoring them, or Google. I don't know. :th_woot:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Just getting more information. I can't solve my emotional problems until I understand them - then I can implement an effect strategy to improve the situation.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Any emotional or physical problems. I want to know if I'm weird in regards to this.

I am a researcher. Any bodily abnormality I'll go to Google, anything I can't solve- Google
The way I resolved depression was by researching it. I did solid research every day for years, gaining information, creating and testing theories. Eventually I came up with a working formula. I could write a tiny book.
Any little frustration, I research. It calms me down and I can focus on analysing information and applying it to what I know. I could be in hysterical tears, but Google saves the day.
By not thinking about the problem. Sometimes, the answers just come to you when you aren't looking for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any little frustration, I research. It calms me down and I can focus on analysing information and applying it to what I know.
This pretty well describes my life for the past couple of years. Me and Google...we're buds. Haven't "resolved" depression yet, but googling about whatever is going on helps me keep my head above water most of the time.

I also resorted to books a lot, which has been my normal go-to over the years. I binged on books last year to try and work through this junk going on, and kind of wore myself out on books. Got to where they were all saying the same thing and just taking a longer time to say it than a good blog or a well-written website. But google...I know if I can get a good research string going, then I can hang on through another round with the abyss.

·
Registered
67 Posts
First I analyse the problem down to it's smallest components. Either I realise that I was being pathetic and it doesn't really matter or I figure out how to change my approach to overcome the problem.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts

Not an INTP, but I'm going to chime in because I found it interesting that you do the same exact thing I do. Maybe it's a T-dom thing? I self-diagnosed my depression and resolved it with minimal therapist sessions, because I'd done so much research that I knew exactly what was going on, just needed some help solving it.

I don't research everything, and sometimes I'll just confront the problem directly. But mostly, yeah, I research once the problem gets big enough. That's why I'm always on the INTP forum- I know an INTP who I might have feelings for, which is always a really big problem fro me. Research just makes me feel more secure. I'm also an enneagram 8, if that helps.

Reactions: ahem

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not an INTP, but I'm going to chime in because I found it interesting that you do the same exact thing I do. Maybe it's a T-dom thing? I self-diagnosed my depression and resolved it with minimal therapist sessions, because I'd done so much research that I knew exactly what was going on, just needed some help solving it.

I don't research everything, and sometimes I'll just confront the problem directly. But mostly, yeah, I research once the problem gets big enough. That's why I'm always on the INTP forum- I know an INTP who I might have feelings for, which is always a really big problem fro me. Research just makes me feel more secure. I'm also an enneagram 8, if that helps.
What's it like being a friend of an INTP? I had an ENFP friend and, as close as we were, I annoyed the pants off her. Mostly due to the emotional disconnect and my need to analys everything while she wanted to just take things as they came. But her being the way she was I could never get a straight answer from her.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
What's it like being a friend of an INTP? I had an ENFP friend and, as close as we were, I annoyed the pants off her. Mostly due to the emotional disconnect and my need to analys everything while she wanted to just take things as they came. But her being the way she was I could never get a straight answer from her.
Depends on the INTP, really. I've got 5-7 INTP friends depending on how E-I actually pans out. Usually what happens is I think they're a little weird, but nice, and we co-exist for a bit. They do something to indicate they really appreciate my presence, I respond because I'm being friendly back, and after a while I come to really value their friendship. They're very loyal and they have a good sense of humor, something I'm not always used to getting as often since I have a lot of IxTJ friends. Not that ITJs don't have a good sense of humor, just that it's not as quick to come out as the INTPs'.

Sometimes they can be annoying when they're in their emotionally needy moods, but that's not too often, and it really varies per INTP. The 4 can sometimes scare me a bit with the intensity of his emotions, the 5 gets irritated and wants people to know about it, the 6 gets very needy, the 9 is the most consistent in communication and in quirkiness but will occasionally have some intense moments of his own, etc.

I lots of things too, but INTPs don't overanalyze nearly as much as INTJs, and I've got quite a few INTJ friends. As the INTP 5 said to me this weekend, people make patterns where they sometimes don't exist. Already knew it objectively, but it helped to hear it.

Pros:
Good sense of humor
Go with the flow
Are willing to try new things
More emotional than me (when I feel emotional, which I usually don't, I just get angry. So I try not to get emotional, though I emote a lot more than most other ENTJs, and probably in healthier ways)
Are willing to initiate (which I almost never do)

Cons:
Can have trouble listening (the 9 is probably the best, though the 6 isn't bad and the 5 isn't too close to me yet, so fingers crossed)
Like lecturing (I kinda bring this one on myself)
Can be passive-aggressive (my ex was an INTP, it was awful because he had no idea how to communicate his emotions other than broadcasting his irritation with me to groups)
Less get-shit-done than me, but most people are

Straight answers aren't really a problem with an ENTJ. It's more "will you like what we have to say" :wink: I can be pretty conscious of hurting others' feelings, so I might flit around the issue a bit if I don't feel comfortable with you, or if I don't quite know how to say it. But if you tell me you want straight-up honesty and I believe you, I'll tell you the truth. I've told people I don't like them to their face before because they asked and it was true. I'll still treat them decently, but I won't lie about it.

EDIT: We're probably going to get yelled at for being off-topic, sorryyy

Reactions: DogwoodTree

·
Registered
596 Posts
How do you handle problems?
Math problems? Like a boss.

I don't know how to handle life problems too well though, i'm a lazy procrastinator. that's why i'm looking for an ENTJ girlfriend who will.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Depends on the INTP, really. I've got 5-7 INTP friends depending on how E-I actually pans out. Usually what happens is I think they're a little weird, but nice, and we co-exist for a bit. They do something to indicate they really appreciate my presence, I respond because I'm being friendly back, and after a while I come to really value their friendship. They're very loyal and they have a good sense of humor, something I'm not always used to getting as often since I have a lot of IxTJ friends. Not that ITJs don't have a good sense of humor, just that it's not as quick to come out as the INTPs'.

Sometimes they can be annoying when they're in their emotionally needy moods, but that's not too often, and it really varies per INTP. The 4 can sometimes scare me a bit with the intensity of his emotions, the 5 gets irritated and wants people to know about it, the 6 gets very needy, the 9 is the most consistent in communication and in quirkiness but will occasionally have some intense moments of his own, etc.

I lots of things too, but INTPs don't overanalyze nearly as much as INTJs, and I've got quite a few INTJ friends. As the INTP 5 said to me this weekend, people make patterns where they sometimes don't exist. Already knew it objectively, but it helped to hear it.

Pros:
Good sense of humor
Go with the flow
Are willing to try new things
More emotional than me (when I feel emotional, which I usually don't, I just get angry. So I try not to get emotional, though I emote a lot more than most other ENTJs, and probably in healthier ways)
Are willing to initiate (which I almost never do)

Cons:
Can have trouble listening (the 9 is probably the best, though the 6 isn't bad and the 5 isn't too close to me yet, so fingers crossed)
Like lecturing (I kinda bring this one on myself)
Can be passive-aggressive (my ex was an INTP, it was awful because he had no idea how to communicate his emotions other than broadcasting his irritation with me to groups)
Less get-shit-done than me, but most people are

Straight answers aren't really a problem with an ENTJ. It's more "will you like what we have to say" :wink: I can be pretty conscious of hurting others' feelings, so I might flit around the issue a bit if I don't feel comfortable with you, or if I don't quite know how to say it. But if you tell me you want straight-up honesty and I believe you, I'll tell you the truth. I've told people I don't like them to their face before because they asked and it was true. I'll still treat them decently, but I won't lie about it.

EDIT: We're probably going to get yelled at for being off-topic, sorryyy
How dare you encourage off-topic conversations. What were you thinking?

Funny, I never really considered INTP's to be ultra emotional (Or passive-agressive, but I'm the only INTP I know), although I have certainly been accused of being way too intense... whoops.
Thanks for the in depth response, it's nice to hear someone talk about INTP's in a positive light. So far it's been nothing but negative "stay away from INTP's" type stuff.
Where are you managing to meet all these INTP's by the way?

Math problems? Like a boss.

I don't know how to handle life problems too well though, i'm a lazy procrastinator. that's why i'm looking for an ENTJ girlfriend who will.
Teach me your mathmatical ways, oh wise one.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
How dare you encourage off-topic conversations. What were you thinking?

Funny, I never really considered INTP's to be ultra emotional (Or passive-agressive, but I'm the only INTP I know), although I have certainly been accused of being way too intense... whoops.
Thanks for the in depth response, it's nice to hear someone talk about INTP's in a positive light. So far it's been nothing but negative "stay away from INTP's" type stuff.
Where are you managing to meet all these INTP's by the way?
Haha oh right, this isn't the ENTJ forum. Silly me :th_woot: Huh. Most of the threads I see are pretty positive about you guys, that's kinda sad. Though I always think bashing on one type just because is pretty sad. My extracurriculars (I do debate) are super NTP-oriented, and I met most of my iNTP friends through that.

This implies we're not also lazy procrastinators. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts