Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking it would either be anarchy or a hunter-gatherer type society. Or maybe modern USA.. What's your ideal utopia?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I struggle to imagine an ideal society, an utopia. As a matter of fact, when I tried to write a world as such, as the writing progressed, it spiraled down into something closer than a dystopia than an utopia. Makes me wonder how thin the line between the two concepts might be. So, I can't really answer your question.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
A federal world communist society.

On a smaller level, communes based on friendship, fun, responsabilities and symbiotic relationships with less attention for materialism and much more attention for animals & nature. We need to give more power to the municipilaties and the actual communes (-> freedom). Money should have little to no relevance in a human life. We should all be vegan. Everyone should be granted free education and healthcare. And let's legalize weed for god's sake.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Definitely not modern USA, the only state in the world that doesn't provide tuition fees, paid leave, maternal leave and provide healthcare to all citizens, with an actual psychopath as their president. China and Russia are far from perfect either, but they seem to have better societies than America tbh. They maybe have less freedom, but people in America aren't actually able to enjoy their freedom since they're bound to their income. For rich people, it will undoubtely be a great nation to live in, but I think it must be a real hell if you're poor and you're basically dependant on the American social safety net, because there is none. I'm not a fan of their agressive foreign politics and interventionism either. They create chaos, they create crisisses, and they create misery in the Middle East or start a useless diplomatic/economic war against nations who you shouldn't provoke in the first place, or just aren't rogue states like you imagine, just because their is some kind of lunatic as head of the white house. Tillerson also said he was a moron. Senator Bob Corker said the White House was an adult day care center. For the ones who still don't see it, open your eyes. If those neoliberal agressive hawks (from the same party as Donald Trump) say such strong language, you know something is going really wrong, but it's all a conspiracy or it's all fake news.

Reactions: isfpisfp

·
Registered
Infp 6w5
2,779 Posts
I struggle to imagine an ideal society, an utopia. As a matter of fact, when I tried to write a world as such, as the writing progressed, it spiraled down into something closer than a dystopia than an utopia. Makes me wonder how thin the line between the two concepts might be. So, I can't really answer your question.
I did the same thing. Tried to imagine my own utopia based on my values, and realized that I had created an ethical nightmare!

To this day my, ideal vision for society is merely for low population density. :dry:

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,636 Posts
Unfortunately, the only society that can be my ideal society has to be a society that is real.

That sounded a bit confusing... I mean that it is not an ideal society if I have to hopelessly dream about it and pine for it for it to exist. It should be accessible and real, not just stuck in my imagination. And the reason that is unfortunate is because it isn't real on Earth!! All we do here is dream of making something better, but it's just going to fall down again when we think we've found it. What's the point of even dreaming?

The ideal for me is the afterlife with God, where He is all-knowing and perfect and benevolent and the embodiment of everything good that He designed us to long for but cannot exist on Earth in their perfect form. Earth is fallen, and we just get these glimpses and longings of the ideal. But I don't sit here and dream about when I'm dead. And I don't "just deal with" the problems of the world because I know they it get any better. I would like to try (and I'll fail, I might add) at bringing a little bit of that ideal to the attention and lives of others. Because maybe if people did think of doing the ideal and acting in purity, it would make the world a better place. It can't be completely perfect because not one of us is perfect, but it could be a lot better. I'd love to walk out of my house alone at night so I could enjoy the night and the creatures without worrying that other humans will bully, rape, and kill me. I don't think that's ever going to be a possibility, so I have to work with what I've got and not let myself feel too hopeless in the meantime.

Reactions: neutralchaotic

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
One that isn't what it's like now.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
I hate the current society.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Until we can get over a lot of petty issues, and improve as human beings, I don't see any societal organization system creating a utopia.

Very small (1,000 people at most), self-sufficient communes are probably the closest you could get.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I can't conceive of any ideal society in my head, because society is made up of individuals, with individual minds, and human beings come with all sorts of mental states, including mental illness. We also have incredible imaginations and we can conjure up all sorts of ideas, so people like ISIS and Voldemort come up; these people that we usually perceive as evil imagine their own ideal societies as well, and in their own minds they absolutely believe that they are doing what they do because it's best for the world, they believe they are taking care of the world, just like we on the "good side" believe that we do too in our own way.
Things like anarchy are absolutely impossible because they need self-regulating individuals who are able to keep their own health while contributing to the health and well-being of the other people in the community. And these self-regulating, self-controlled, compassionate individuals are only a percentage of the population, and will never ever be the whole of the population. There will always be humans within a community who want the power, and who want to impose their subjective concept of "order" and "wellbeing", and they will resort to murder, torture, psychological abuse, and whatever else, in order to achieve power. The fact that these individuals will always exist under all circumstances is inescapable.

You only need to see all the times a hurricane strikes the US. You think this is a civilized country, but when people who lose their entire neighborhoods go to "live" temporarily to public buildings, like schools or gyms etc, and all those people are crammed in a place, there's women being raped on a daily basis.
You can see similar behaviors in my own country where there are certain festivities a few times a year, and people break lose and women get raped daily. These are civilized countries usually, but the moment that normal rules don't apply and life gets suspended, violence happens. It happens to children too (they get molested), men also stab each other, and so on. Something life-negating & wellbeing-negating is always happening. And it has nothing to do with class. Just look at all the wealthy people of the world, half of them are morally corrupt. Of course there are others who aren't -look at JK Rowling or Oprah. People's mentality are too varied to have a self-regulating society. I think half the population of the world who are not commiting crimes, are only restraining themselves because of fear of getting caught and paying severe consequences. If we got rid of the state and we took the reigns of morality at the individual level, hell would break lose.

Also, I don't believe in communism (which seems to be the 2nd most cited "ideal", after anarchy) because I don't think that someone who sweeps the streets and someone who spends 15 years in medical school should earn similar wages. I think that people who decide to dedicate so much time of their lives and so much energy to high-demanding, high-stress, high-responsibility jobs, should be rewarded according to their efforts, personal investments over time, sweat, tears, and so on.
And all of this without mentioning the dictatorship that goes with it.
When people are not rewarded for their efforts in a career, they do a terrible job, and we all suffer. I know because I am fortunate to be able to afford private health care in my country, and in the last seven years doctors in private health companies are earning the same as a street sweeper. As a consequence, their morale is ruined, they feel like all their decades of hardcore study was for nothing, and they are terrible doctors to me and to my entire family and friends who also have private HC. We often talk about this. You go with a problem and they don't even look at you anymore, they have no motivations to wake up in the mornings. My dad who also has private HC asked his doctor why the quality of the private sector has gone to shit, and the doctor told him all about how finances have been cut in 1/3 and a bunch of other crap. You have to reward people who work hard and endure such big responsibilities such as saving lives. Teachers are like that as well. They are so underpaid and so overworked, they can't function anymore. Everyone is mentally ill because they work too much and still can't pay bills. Communism would make all of this even worse.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
True, i wouldn't feel save anywhere on the planet as a women. There is a lot of controverse of Belgium now after the Weinstein scandal that leaked out, and a debate opened whether men are sexist or not, and apparently we show sexist behaviour (sexual intimidation), so yeah... People get raped on weekly base here in this country, but this is everywhere the case. It's not safe to walk on the streets in almost any non-western country (except for maybe China (you would be surprised) and Japan and possibly Vietnam/Thailand/Indonesia (but in those countries, it depends on where exactly you are) and maybe Qatar/UAE/Northern Africa. In Latin America, criminal activity is very high. Look to Northern Mexico, Venezuela, Honduras, Colombia or the slums. You don't want to be there at all. Even the USA isn't safe everywhere. I would avoid states like Missouri or Mississippi at all times, however the south also hasn't anything to offer to travellers. Everything the USA has to offer is either in the west, central-west or on the east coast/new england/florida, however since i'm interested in people and in tornadoes, even the heartland has something to offer, but I would still avoid Alabama/Mississippi/Tennessee/West-Virginia/Arkansas (not interesting for tornadoes because of the forests), because that wouldn't be good for a first travel. I think i wouldn't like the people there. They're so different.

But i believe in self-sufficient communes based on communism (and indeed. max 1000 people, probably even less).

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
I've never seen an example of an ideal society, I'm not sure I can even imagine one. Even the most fantastical "utopias" have some areas where I think they suck. To be honest though I'm not really sure I'd want to live in a utopia even if I found one. It seems to me that it's the struggles we face which define us, allow us to grow, so perhaps for me living in a utopia isn't the ideal, but trying to create one might be.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
We will always face death, losses, injuries and setbacks on any level in life. The only way where you can differentiate an utopia from other societies is the way we deal with everything, but even then, a true utopia isn't possible, but there is however still plenty of room for improvement in all terrains, and in some even more. I don't think a capitalist society is viable on the long run, but that's a personal opinion. The problems with capitalism is that it is quite unstable: a market-led economy is unstable, and i believe we need to live in a classless society and you don't and in the long run the rich get richer and the poor get poorer -> that's the essence of it (we even deliberately give money away to other countries so that they can keep up, and that we can even have higher profit from developing countries and a market that even gets better where even more people will participate in. The wellbeing of people and planet should always be priority number one, and currently this is not the case, in any country. I don't know how an exact utopia would look like, but it surely won't be capitalist at all. I think we need a united world, but where more power is delegated on a local level, community-driven societies. And even in the communities, we need communes. Groups were people gather together to organize a household with some central locations for students or enforcement of order. I also believe that in a true utopia, we ultimately will live in way smaller houses and apartments than we use to do now. The focus needs to be on a higher quality of life, not on more richdom, luxuary and someone's property. Almost everything should be owned by the state ("the people"), but also accessible for everyone. I also believe in an almost property-less society, but with people who always lend from the state ("lend for free").

Technology should be halted on some levels. Technology is dangerous, we need to be careful with that. It's also damaging and it's controlling our lifes and changing our genes. The cellphone helped to make our lifes easier, but now we can't live without one, and the world is already digitalizing, and soon we will BE a phone. We will be digitalized creatures who are basically no different than computers or AI. Our dependancy of technology is just very dangerous, and i think it already went too far.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Ideal?

There is no ideal.

If you have an ideal, smash it.

Sorry to tell you this, princess, but society will never be anything but what it is and always has been. Corrupt.

There will be war.

There will be bloodshed.

There will be innocents.

There will be death, greed, famine, destruction, pain, fear, terrorism, injustice, pollution, racism, sexism, rape. Rape of the individual,
rape of the mind, rape of the body, rape of the spirit, rape of the earth, rape of everything.

We can't live without these things. And the unfortunate truth is we as a whole need these things bc unfortunately without them, we will not know how to fight for ourselves, for life. We wouldn't progress. We wouldn't be forged.

The blows and the trauma from how we're constantly driven to the point of powerlessness, the point of exhaustion where we're so tired we scream our anger and hate of society until our lungs bleed dry, that is what we're given by each other and what we give back no matter how good we try to be and it's the pressure that we need to undergo both as people and individuals to reach the closest we have to ideal.

The closest thing to ideal is being so aware of the fight to survive in the world that we reach a state of peace not with the entire external world but with the fact that things will never get better but we at least try.

The closest thing to ideal is being aware of the fact that no one will understand us, and no one might agree with us, and people will be born, live, and die never sharing your same views and there is often nothing you can do to change that.

So even with this ideal I proposed would I want society to be like that? No, bc if everyone agreed with me on this then that means there's nothing for me to learn, there's nothing for them to learn. It's all static.

So instead of a fixed ideal, I prefer to accept society as it is, flawed and corrupt and misconstrued, bc that is reality. And my ideal would only fog that reality. If indeed my perception of society isn't already fogged, which it of course is.

Anyways, I'm done now. :laughing::tongue:

Reactions: isfpisfp
187 Posts
my ideal society

The cities are extremely colourful, artists are hired to paint all buildings and roads. Buildings are covered in grape vines, vertical orchards and water flumes. The most common form of transport is hot air balloon and zeppelin, gentle giant tunnels of wind hang above to travel by. One of the zeppelins is the Zany Love Zeppelin From Above, piloted by Baron Von Hurdy-Gurdy, from which the greatest clowns in the world parachute regularly down onto the city, sometimes with water pistols or buckets of slime. If you're lucky the Baron might drop down a brand new appliance such as a toaster, or fridge, or the grandest piano EVER!!!!

Parks are plentiful, green parks, water parks, theme parks, but NO car parks! Hardly anyone travels by car seriously since the mayor introduced mandatory High-Bounce Rubber on all cars, turning the roads into a never-ending bumper car rink. Woah, watch out!!! Symphony orchestras race round the pavements continuously on roller skates playing everything from Tchaikovsky to the Beatles!!!

Lucky you, you get to choose today's song for the daily City-Wide Karaoke!!! at midday, on all screens the words pop up and the music starts. The city rings out in a rousing song of CANNIBAL CORPSE!!!!!!!

Every person gets their own festival - if it's your birthday, you could get your name pulled out the Hat to have today's festival PARADE dedicated to YOU!!!!! Pictures of you, your favourite things made of flower floats, your loved ones and strangers celebrating your life in funny costumes, HUNDREDS of people.

Then there's the Pass-the-parcel Lottery where you pass a present to a stranger and the bank DOUBLES the value of the money inside, the more times people give it away it doubles in value, can it get to a billion pounds?!?!?!?!! you keep half of it and other half goes to local charities.

Watch out for the Government Employed GOOFBALLS, Office OAFS and Management MIMES who randomly shadow people at their jobs, making mischief and preventing the spread of Serious Syndrome, the reason for the fall of 21st century civilisation. The more potential for Seriousness at your job, the more Government Goofballs there are. A & E rooms and funerals are a blast!!!!!!!

All citizens are required to make a pilgrimage to the LUMINOUS TEMPLES OF THE ELDERLY AND ORPHANS, bringing offerings, spending days, months there as commune members, FAILURE TO PLAY HIDE AND SEEK WITH THE ORPHANS WILL RESULT IN TICKLING, each day dedicated to different resident who gives stories of their life to the applauding assembly & strangers required to improv the stories on stage

FREE FOOT MASSAGES!!! and THREE FOOT MASSAGES (any part of body)!! and THREE FREE FOOT MASSAGES for the sole price of none!!!! on every street corner

Animals formerly housed in zoos roam freely in the huge life-size replica of the world within the city. In the still of night they are released and people can come and gently pet them, it's very beautiful, if they form a bond can ride the animal into the sunrise, and live in the kingdom of cats forever, or in a conga eel's cave, or in the clouds with eagles. In this way the human population count is kept down

HUGE pictures of outer space from the hubble space telescope are hung on the underbelly of clouds, reminding citizens of their Intergalactic Duties which include: 1. Fly to Uranus in your imagination once a day and be there for its low self-esteem because it has a funny name 2. Keep pen-pal friends with an abandoned alien your whole life 3. Go on pilgrimage to the moon and put a moon rock in your heart, water it daily

that's all for now!

·
Premium Member
15,285 Posts
Wow. Hard question. I am enjoying the answer above tho. :happy:

I can be a bit "idealistic" and have many ideas for change, but my ideas would eventually turn this current society into a Dictatorship. Many are not going to like my changes, believe you me, and my policies.... I have no idea on how to implement and would impinge on the freedoms, rights and preferences of others. I'll just "dream" in private. Thank you. Czar Sily! And just pray I don't come into power.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Uranus is my favourite solar system planet :blushed: :kitteh: I'm an uranus-lover.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
I also believe cars should be banned a future society. My society would all be TRAINS, BUSES, METRO and TRAMS. I LOVE TRAMS. THEY'RE ADORABLE.

We would abandon a lot of space, and concentrate our cities. No more towns, but only cities and districts. Western Europe will be one great city hub with districts connecting each other and huge traffic hubs. Same for Eastern USA, Eastern China, Japan, SE-Australia and some great metropolitian areas in the world. Nature should conquer the world once back again.

The Olympic Games would be different. It would be called the INFP games. The contest aspect would be removed and replaced by exhibition tournaments and cooperation projects where we draw, dance, sport, sing, make music and so on. It would be a celebration of our society and our ideology. It would also a great feast. It would be named REMEMBRANCE DAY. Remember where you once fought for. Make love, not war.

Reactions: Radiant Wheelbarrow
1 - 20 of 23 Posts