Personality Cafe banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,225 Posts
Watch for their pH level
I was being serious in a sort of light-hearted metaphorical way.
It means watch, or rather observe, for any acidic behavior. Simply look up acidic—sharp tasting or sour.
I do not see it as a test per se, but rather when I see this kind of behavior I either walk away or don’t get involved closely.

Reactions: YearseRayneDon

·
Registered
111 Posts
A couple of years back, when I was a bit more active on here, my humor was nurtured more by the NTPs on this forum. From what I've gathered from some of the posts you've responded to on your profile, just as you are expanding on your fourth function of Fi, I am expanding on my third function of Ti. I was quite comfortable as a guest among the NTPs. I miss their thread invasions. It was quite glorious despite us NFs having our art galleries virtually raided.

Fe is about understanding and constructing a social lattice through the observation of overall social emotional flow. Follow that up with our Rick Sanchez function of Ti and some of us will take a small liberty attempting to make humor trying to apply pseudo psycho (subjective) intellectual smartassery. No ill intent is ever meant. But for those who choose to be personally offended sometimes make me wonder if they deserve their self-imposed sentiment.
I didn't think that people with this kind of humor has "ill intent". And I'm certainly not personally offended. I just find it ironic, that on this forum, people can take topics seriously such as topics about others personal relationships or pirvate life, which isn't even their business, and on the top of that, they obviously don't have enough information to offer useful advice, or topics about tea, which can be concluded with 2 sentence at the best. But when there is a topic, with a relatively good question, meaning that 1.)Everyone has enough information to write useful answers because the question is about them. 2.)Can be a contentful and long enough discussion. They start this 8th grade humor, where they misinterpreting things on purpose. The context is wrong. Use humor where the context is humorous, and be useful, when someone is asking something from you. Everything has it's place, and seemingly no one learned this in their childhood, on this forum.

Obviously, I'm not talking about you.

(Btw: Just an interesting thing I noticed. You said that you see that I'm expanding my FOURTH Fi function. Do I seem like a Te dominant to you then? Just asking because actually I'm identified as an INTJ, but currently learing about cognitive functions in depth, so any feedback is useful to me.)

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5 sp/so
1,546 Posts
I didn't think that people with this kind of humor has "ill intent". And I'm certainly not personally offended. I just find it ironic, that on this forum, people can take topics seriously such as topics about others personal relationships or pirvate life, which isn't even their business, and on the top of that, they obviously don't have enough information to offer useful advice, or topics about tea, which can be concluded with 2 sentence at the best. But when there is a topic, with a relatively good question, meaning that 1.)Everyone has enough information to write useful answers because the question is about them. 2.)Can be a contentful and long enough discussion. They start this 8th grade humor, where they misinterpreting things on purpose. The context is wrong. Use humor where the context is humorous, and be useful, when someone is asking something from you. Everything has it's place, and seemingly no one learned this in their childhood, on this forum.

Obviously, I'm not talking about you.

(Btw: Just an interesting thing I noticed. You said that you see that I'm expanding my FOURTH Fi function. Do I seem like a Te dominant to you then? Just asking because actually I'm identified as an INTJ, but currently learing about cognitive functions in depth, so any feedback is useful to me.)
1) It's a personality forum. Not very many experts on here, if there are any. This is akin to arm chair psychology. There are people on here just to vent or find a clique. Very few on here with intent to expand into deeper psychological development.

2) True. There are and have been quite a few users within these threads that have offered superb information that has helped me along the way.

Read the fourth Fi from one of your past posts in a different thread.

With regards to the attempt at humor, that's just most of our natures. Plus, it discourages a lot of trolls that pour into these specific threads and become a bit toxic. They lose wind and become bored really quick and never return. Only speaking for myself, when I submitted my first my response to the OP, the topic was something I truly didn't have a conscious realization that I did or in how I did it. Why I typed up what I could anyways? In an odd way, it helps me to think through it. Essentially my interpretation of the OP's question was an attempt to provide a technical answer to an abstract concept. Using science metaphors is a frequent go-to., as juvenile as its application may seem. If the OP chooses to ask more questions for elaboration to certain attitudes or approaches then various users will return to elaborate to the best of his or her ability. What you view as superficial humor is often a "feeler" humor. Not as in a mbti feeler, but as in a lead line to see how the proverbial fish bite. Depending on how it's received by the OP and subsequent answering users alike, other users will return to that thread with confidence to add to the conversation or may spurn it as a waste of breath.

Further questions are more than welcome.

·
Registered
ISTP
406 Posts
Does everybody do this? I don't think I've ever 'tested' someone for their potential to be a part of my life. Consciously at least.

·
Registered
111 Posts
1) It's a personality forum. Not very many experts on here, if there are any. This is akin to arm chair psychology. There are people on here just to vent or find a clique. Very few on here with intent to expand into deeper psychological development.

2) True. There are and have been quite a few users within these threads that have offered superb information that has helped me along the way.
Yes, I noticed. The problem is, that despite having superficial and stereotypical knowledge about the topic they claimed to be interested, they still try to act as an expert. Not just about type theory, but majority of the behaviors I see on this entire forum, is attempts to look intellectual or unique. People here still think that because they quote some philosopher's sayings , they will be intellectual and stuff like this. But the thing is, that pretending something does not make your knowledge and skill real. And this is why there are so many mistyped, misinformed people here. The inexperienced and uninformed, who know that they are inexperienced and uninformed, take advices from inexperienced and uninformed people, who don't know that they are inexperienced and uninformed. And when I see this, it pisses me off. This is why a lot of things cannot work well.

Now as for the humor thing, I still don't support the idea of out of context humor, be it any type of humor, but at least, now I can see what is inside those people's head who use it anyway. Not that it makes the phenomenon better, but since I now have an idea about it, I won't be so reactive to it.

(Lastly: I don't remember that I would mention that I have Inferior Fi. It is certain that you are not mistake me for someone else? Not that It is so important, but now I'm curious)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yes, I noticed. The problem is, that despite having superficial and stereotypical knowledge about the topic they claimed to be interested, they still try to act as an expert. Not just about type theory, but majority of the behaviors I see on this entire forum, is attempts to look intellectual or unique. People here still think that because they quote some philosopher's sayings , they will be intellectual and stuff like this. But the thing is, that pretending something does not make your knowledge and skill real. And this is why there are so many mistyped, misinformed people here. The inexperienced and uninformed, who know that they are inexperienced and uninformed, take advices from inexperienced and uninformed people, who don't know that they are inexperienced and uninformed. And when I see this, it pisses me off. This is why a lot of things cannot work well.
Welcome to the real world.

Now as for the humor thing, I still don't support the idea of out of context humor, be it any type of humor, but at least, now I can see what is inside those people's head who use it anyway. Not that it makes the phenomenon better, but since I now have an idea about it, I won't be so reactive to it.
Really? that is weird because I have always assumed Te is the comedian among cognitive functions.

Another interesting thing is that you havent even participated in the topic but instead focus on addressing others behaviour "This is not how you are supposed to participate in the forum! This is serious stuff so only serious way of doing things is acceptable! Stop having fun!"

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5 sp/so
1,546 Posts
Point and frustration understood. Hence, don't set the bar too high coming on here. You will not find the openminded intellectual discourse you seek here...often. It's also frustrating to have a communication "foreigner" come into your specific threads and become unnecessarily miffed with the difference in communicative approach of many types of that thread.

Outside of being a mind reader, no one is going to know that aside of someone with that mindset. At least, that is until we are familiar with an individual with that mindset. Then we adjust around that person accordingly. Goodness knows how often I've received complaints of what "masks" I wear around certain people. The generic approach of Fe-Ti I seem to observe and maybe understand is that, metaphorically, cast the line and let the fish bite accordingly. Then go from there. Fi then seems to be triggered when someone shows a genuine interest to delve deep and there is a mutual exchange. Otherwise, it just feels like one-sided drainage and why waste mental and emotional energy when other things demand our attention.

(Lastly: I don't remember that I would mention that I have Inferior Fi. It is certain that you are not mistake me for someone else? Not that It is so important, but now I'm curious)
I could have. I tried to retrace my steps to the post I thought I read elaborating on what I thought was you mentioning the development of your Fi. But I can't seem to find it. Without that resource, I feel I may have misremembered and mistaken you and another user. I would like to apologize for having done so and any of my associated projections with regards to that I may have had.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
To answer the OP, I might observe and watch, but I tend to believe that ‘testing ‘ people, ends up pushing those potential wonderful people away. Who wants to go through a series of tests? True Ni & Fe acknowledges how much other people are not going to enjoy a series of tests and knows that’s not the best way to find true commitment with any individual.

On a separate note, there are certain individuals that will try to seek responses due to their own, possible, inability to get any other form of attention. Classic. Certain behaviors are learned very on in childhood and are difficult to overcome when socializing in adulthood. I will not test these people. I just hope that they’ll soon realize and make the necessary changes to their behavior.

It’s quite easy to go after other people constantly. It’s much more difficult and much more admirable to realize and change one’s own tendencies and behaviors and begin to try to gain attention for positive attributes.

·
Registered
ISTP
406 Posts
Would think Ni-Fe wouldn't need to test because red flags would just naturally show up. Besides, it might not be a great idea to persue a relationship at all for the moment if one feels the need to investigate.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5 sp/so
1,546 Posts
It isn't a literal testing of others but more of an introduce and include in slowly and take wait and see approach to see how the interpersonal chemistry works out.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts