Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really, how does one really know if they are right in their types. I see the forum called be careful of your bias, and it got me thinking; Are we really sure we are correctly typing ourselves? How can we be sure that myers brigg is really valid? when i read through the descriptions i see some traits that relate to me in several types. But the main problem i see is that a lot of these seem to be sterotypical, for example i see threads with things such as Are ENTP Sociopathic or this career is not suitable for this type. I also see some people change their type and seem to just choose them just cause they put that type on a pedestal. Beside my rambling, how would you know what your type is? how can you type someone? i know this is not the thread for it but, how would you type me? iim just somewhat skeptical about this system. im all for theory and abstract thinking but what makes myers brigg realiable, its been on my mind for a bit.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
MBTI itself is pretty much crap. Cognitive functions are much better.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
MBTI itself is pretty much crap. Cognitive functions are much better.
Since I have been typed as ISFP but when reading the descriptions I feel like I use Se first, would that be a more accurate assessment?

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
My test came as INFJ on first hit and I had no idea that it could be inaccurate, but I was curious about all this introverted thinking and intuition stuff from the INFJ profile. So I read about functions, just a lot of theoretical information, starting with this Function Attitude. This took about a few weeks. Then I wanted to connect this theoretical reading to examples from life. Reading functional descriptions it wasn't clear how they manifest. So I browsed a ton of different forums and started collecting stories of people describing different manifestations of functions in themselves and others. This wasn't clean data, but if you see a statement repeat 15 times then you start seeing a likely pattern developing. All this reading just confirmed my MBTI type, so I'm pretty sure of it now. Though when I read the stereotypical INFJ profile I didn't feel very strong semblance.

·
Registered
815 Posts
This is the reason why I recently abandoned MBTI. I still agree with Keirsey's temperament theory but I find MBTI too restrictive.The stereotypes also piss me off :dry:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have been questioning MBTI quite a bit too. Not that I am thinking about discarding it; I think it is useful even if not completely accurate. Mainly, I do not understand how we arrived at the conclusions of tertiary and inferior functions. For instance, why do we believe that an ESFJ has tertiary Ne and inferior Ti? I see the symmetry in this but not the science. Is there science for this? Is it even possible for science to speak to this? I guess I generally accept the dominant and auxiliary processes, as well as introversion, extraversion, judging, and perceiving, because they are clearly evident and viewable, both in myself and in others I know. Beyond these two functions, a person's development of functions seems EXTREMELY speculative in terms of being predicted or assumed.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
...For instance, why do we believe that an ESFJ has tertiary Ne and inferior Ti? I see the symmetry in this but not the science.
Supposedly there are limited ways in which brain can be wired yielding somewhat predictable but biologically and socially viable cognitive types. So it is not totally random how the brain develops, and if it is not random then certain patterns in personalities will emerge.

Is there science for this? Is it even possible for science to speak to this?
a few people have been trying to tie this into neurology - you can watch through series of this videos and see what you think: #8 Neurology Marries Psychology
about 7 minutes into video there is mention of MBTI

·
Registered
113 Posts
The first time I took the MBTI, I came out as an INTJ. I've taken it a few years since then, and have been variously pegged as an ISTJ and INTP. I think it's dependent on the mood you're in at the time of taking the test, but INTJ seems to be my "average" result.

That video didn't convince me of much. It makes plenty of assertions that Myers-Briggs types correspond to regions of the hippocampus [/i]somehow[/i], but never actually explains how. If there were even so much as a handful of MRI pictures, showing different regions of the hippocampus enlarged in different personality types, I'd be willing to believe it, or at least look into it further.

·
Registered
392 Posts
That video didn't convince me of much. It makes plenty of assertions that Myers-Briggs types correspond to regions of the hippocampus [/i]somehow[/i], but never actually explains how. If there were even so much as a handful of MRI pictures, showing different regions of the hippocampus enlarged in different personality types, I'd be willing to believe it, or at least look into it further.
I agree. Lots of theory (or hypotheses) without support, or at least not enough support.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Ultimately, you probably don't. If I wouldn't have been depressed when I discovered this system, I probably wouldn't have taken an interest. For the life of me I can't find much use for it now. Though, I still kinda like the Enneagram. A lot more wiggle room with it, and it's just more fun and accurate. I mess with it, when I'm bored, now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are we really sure we are correctly typing ourselves?
No. Few things are certain. MBTI isn't something I'd bet money on.

How can we be sure that myers brigg is really valid?
We can't. It's probably a load of hogwash. Interesting, though-provoking hogwash, but a load nonetheless.

when i read through the descriptions i see some traits that relate to me in several types.
That's because you're human. You should see yourself in all of the descriptions at least somewhat. It's all about the big picture, though. The type needs to suit you as a whole.

But the main problem i see is that a lot of these seem to be sterotypical, for example i see threads with things such as Are ENTP Sociopathic or this career is not suitable for this type.
Of course. You're on a board about MBTI. People get bored and stuff like that arises. What else should be talked about? After going to all the trouble to find your supposed type, isn't it natural to try to find an application for it in life? The key is to not take it as gospel. It's a theory, let's play with it.

I also see some people change their type and seem to just choose them just cause they put that type on a pedestal.
People don't know themselves, their situations change, their perceptions change. It happens.

Beside my rambling, how would you know what your type is?
I have a guess. I'm not afraid to change my mind if I'm incorrect.

how can you type someone?
It's all a guess.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting to see what other people think. The more i see flaws, I have never really taken it as Gospel but i know there are some people that do. Its an interesting theory, but i feel it puts people into a box. I just personally believe that everyone is different in some way and we all have good traits and bad.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I agree. Lots of theory (or hypotheses) without support, or at least not enough support.
The videos are designed to be short as these are basically powerpoint presentations probably put together for a lecture class in some university thus they don't go everything it greatest possible detail. People who aren't working in your area of specialty typically don't want to hear all the technical details, just key findings, so in research it is common practice that what you present is key findings and supporting information is attached or compiled on a separate document for anyone who wants to reference it. I am sure if you contact the author she will give you all the supporting information you will ever need - says that it took 20 years to compile this information together so I doubt that the people involved would just make it up from thin air.

Besides those videos that I linked because they mentioned MBTI I am sure you independently can find a lot of information that makes connections between neurology and psychology, between how brain is structured, the biological hardware, and personality preferences in people that we can observe in day to day interaction.

There is more stuff here: personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/9648-types-brain-pseudo-science-behind-mbti.html

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am sure if you contact the author she will give you all the supporting information you will ever need - says that it took 20 years to compile this information together so I doubt that the people involved would just make it up from thin air.

Besides those videos that I linked because they mentioned MBTI I am sure you independently can find a lot of information that makes connections between neurology and psychology, between how brain is structured, the biological hardware, and personality preferences in people that we can observe in day to day interaction.

There is more stuff here: personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/9648-types-brain-pseudo-science-behind-mbti.html
Ok, verdict is still out. Thanks.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
My test came as INFJ on first hit and I had no idea that it could be inaccurate, but I was curious about all this introverted thinking and intuition stuff from the INFJ profile. So I read about functions, just a lot of theoretical information, starting with this Function Attitude. This took about a few weeks. Then I wanted to connect this theoretical reading to examples from life. Reading functional descriptions it wasn't clear how they manifest. So I browsed a ton of different forums and started collecting stories of people describing different manifestations of functions in themselves and others. This wasn't clean data, but if you see a statement repeat 15 times then you start seeing a likely pattern developing. All this reading just confirmed my MBTI type, so I'm pretty sure of it now. Though when I read the stereotypical INFJ profile I didn't feel very strong semblance.
I did something similar, although I browsed forums to gain a better understanding of the theory to finalize my type, as I often test INTP, but it never fit me. However, I have to say that cognitive theory clarified more for me than anecdotes from other people. I tend to grasp the theoretical easier than real life examples (too specific, I guess).

I think a combo of the following is a good path to determining your type as accurately as currently possible...

- Take tests - both MBTI and cognitive function - and read profiles to get a starting point. Don't get too attached to these findings, put aside prejudice about certain types or letters, and try to view profiles as a big picture - don't get hung up on details. No profile will likely be a perfect mirror of yourself, and you will definitely find aspects of other profiles which resonate.

- Engage in honest self-analysis through introspection, focusing on thought process more than behavior. Some people may benefit from getting an external perspective from a close family member or friend.

- Do deeper research on the functions and the theory(ies) in general - read as many books as you can :tongue:

- Communicate with other people who are MBTI enthusiasts - the back and forth exchange of ideas and understandings can refine your own understanding.

Reactions: penchant and vel

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
You just have to be completely honest on the test and hope that semantics don't mess it up.

Reactions: vel

·
Registered
442 Posts
The first time I took the MBTI, I came out as an INTJ. I've taken it a few years since then, and have been variously pegged as an ISTJ and INTP. I think it's dependent on the mood you're in at the time of taking the test, but INTJ seems to be my "average" result.
Given only a 67% test-retest reliability score for both the KTS and the MBTI, I have to side with Keirsey here and state that direct observation is the best determination of type. It's not about stated preference, it's about core/inherent preference, which is best observed by natural behavior.

MBTI is a great way to "ballpark" people. You get to know motivations, focus, and patterns in a very quick fashion. The details, however, are up to the individual person... And speaking as a relatively rare type, just knowing that there are others like you can completely change your mindset.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Just knowing that there are others like you can completely change your mindset.
I sure found that out through Enneagram and I feel free to be me now and that what I am like isn't so freaky after all, and now I'm clear on MBTI so everything's good :happy:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts