Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the topic states, how do you figure out what kind of emotion or feeling you are feeling at the moment?

I deconstruct the physical symptoms i am feeling and try to to put them in a logical frame and then figure out what emotion or feeling it was. Problem with that approach is that i only figure out the emotion a few hours or days later and by then it is too late.

How do you figure it out?

Edit: removed a few details from the initial post.

Reactions: Seamaid

·
Registered
235 Posts
As the topic states, how do you figure out what kind of emotion or feeling you are feeling at the moment?

I deconstruct the physical symptoms i am feeling and try to to put them in a logical frame and then figure out what emotion or feeling it was. Problem with that approach is that i only figure out the emotion a few hours or days later and by then it is too late.

How do you figure it out?

Edit: removed a few details from the initial post.
Most of the time, I can't really figure them out (emotions), and they don't really play a part in how I deal with people. That said, I can definitely feel anger. For me, it's the feeling of wanting to punch something, and it mostly comes about because someone has a different logic system to myself (my ESFJ mother, for example).

Reactions: Seamaid

·
Registered
950 Posts
I used to do the same, only working off external stimuli instead of physical reactions. It does have a few inherent flaws is addition to the wait (once the moment has passed memories start fading/changing, the result isn't always logical), however my brain and my body don't exactly get along. They try to exchange as little information as possible so that route wasn't really available.
Currently I read my own body language, and basically use steriotypes to figure me out. Not as accurate or precise but much quicker. If I'm tense then its negative. Clenched fists lead to anger, darting eye movements mean anxiety, freezing up means fear. Relaxed posture means positive. Head resting on something is contentment, slight tension around the mouth (known by some as an attempt at smiling) means happy. There are a few more, but there are a lot missing, and even the ones above can be wrong depending on situation.
The most noticable one thats missing is attraction. If I want to know if I am attracted to someone I have serious issues, as often it does not fit logically with the stimuli, and I can't read myself for it. So far the only way I have is attempting to notice excessive emotions connected to them, and searching my memories for any rediculous exaggerations that my mind may have made. As such this takes a while, (a year and a half is my record) and cannot be applied to everyone, and is a waste of time applying it to random people.

So yeah, Pros: Quick enough to be of use
Cons: Unprecise, occasionaly innacurate, will not observe certain emotions, can be misread according to situation

·
Registered
912 Posts
So far the only way I have is attempting to notice excessive emotions connected to them, and searching my memories for any rediculous exaggerations that my mind may have made.
That was very helpful... the part I couldn't quite understand was the above (especially the bolded). Could you explain that bit a little more?

·
Registered
950 Posts
That was very helpful... the part I couldn't quite understand was the above (especially the bolded). Could you explain that bit a little more?
Ok, Excessive emotions is fairly obvious, in that they inspire more intense feelings.
The memory section... As time goes by, your mind will gradually twist your memories, traditionally to put yourself in a better light. Most people simply beleive their memories, however sometimes you can look at them and go "Hang on, did I really not raise my voice there?" and notice that you most likely altered it. Similarly, you do the same thing with the person you are attracted to. It is harder to spot this, as you do not know them as well as you know yourself, so instead you look at the bigger picture looking for something that is not quite right. This can be anything from not remembering any disagreements with them (removing/changing negatives), to them always being amazing (exageration of positives), to finding that more memories contain them than is proportional (logical inconsistancies) and pretty much anything inbetween. Its subtle, and hard to find which is why it really doesn't work.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I'm pretty much always aware if my emotions are elevating and it's as simple as stopping and asking myself "what do I feel right now?"

I don't think I really have difficulty figuring it out. Now talking about it....well....thats a horse of another color.

Reactions: madhatter

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I'm pretty much always aware if my emotions are elevating and it's as simple as stopping and asking myself "what do I feel right now?"

I don't think I really have difficulty figuring it out. Now talking about it....well....thats a horse of another color.
Yeah, I'm pretty much like this. If I stop and ask myself, I can usually deconstruct it. I do use body language too to help decipher the more complex emotions. For instance, my body can tense up for a number of reason, but if that's combined with my jaw clenched and my chest being hot, that's anger, versus tension combined with being fidgety which is nervousness, etc.

What really eludes me is that sometimes I don't know why I'm feeling a certain way. I definitely try to rationalize and intellectualize the emotion, and when I can't, it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm very quick-tempered, so the moment somebody disagree with me, you can feel my anger start to spill out. Many times, I wouldn't notice until somebody had a negative reaction to my words like "geezus kevin!" I'll be like "what? what happened?" And if they don't react to it, I'll realize it later on that night, haha or some other day. Then I'll be like "oops!"

Since I'm generally an emotionally negative person, I would immediately notice when I'm sad. My normally moderate-sad face would shift into very-sad face. Everyone would see it when I'm upset.

I became more in tune with my feelings when my dad passed away, which is more of the negative feelings...sadness. At the same time, I struggle even harder to bring out more of my positive emotions. So I can say there's something good that came out of this, which is that I'm more in tune with my emotions rather than having less back then.

I like to please people as well so I'm often happy for people when they bring up good things that happen to them. However, people find it difficult to believe I expressed that happiness because I still have a pokerface. They always say, "Kevin, I can't take you seriously."

·
Registered
874 Posts
It seems that the thread that ties this all together is your immediate attempts to appraise logically what's happening.

I think the trouble with this is that you would start to form categories that too are inhibiting. You could start to generalise your emotional responses, and then assign them to categories that are far too broad (like "sadness", or "happiness").

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Physical symptoms also.
Currently I read my own body language, and basically use steriotypes to figure me out. Not as accurate or precise but much quicker. If I'm tense then its negative. Clenched fists lead to anger, darting eye movements mean anxiety, freezing up means fear. Relaxed posture means positive. Head resting on something is contentment, slight tension around the mouth (known by some as an attempt at smiling) means happy. There are a few more, but there are a lot missing, and even the ones above can be wrong depending on situation.
This exactly.

Wait... isn't that how everyone does it?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
How?
Is it just a knowing? Do you have to interrogate yourself?
The easiest way to explain it might be to say that I have analysed emotions for so long that I can ascertain what emotional responses mean even if I can't immediately identify things. Sometimes emotions are expansive; they are irreducible at times.

The method might be something like: if you were a car mechanic, you might not know exactly what problem is affecting a broken car, but you can narrow down your assumptions based on your previous knowledge. It's a bit like that. I can also do this for another person.

That being said, it's useful to "unpack" emotions. You might feel anger. But what type of anger? Are you feeling frustrated? Belittled? Aggressive? Betrayed? These are all situations in which "anger" might occur. With regards to frustration, is the anger caused because you cannot see someone else's point of view? If so, can you put yourself in their shoes? Are they being reasonable? Why is anger a response in the first place? Are you being fair/just? Is anger something you want to continue feeling?

That sort of thing.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The method might be something like: if you were a car mechanic, you might not know exactly what problem is affecting a broken car, but you can narrow down your assumptions based on your previous knowledge. It's a bit like that. I can also do this for another person.
The problem with this metaphor is that the mechanic would look at the car to see what is not working, and then (and only then) could he narrow it down. This is exactly the same as we are doing. Looking at the physical and then applying what we know to figure it out. I really can't see how our ways are different.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The problem with this metaphor is that the mechanic would look at the car to see what is not working, and then (and only then) could he narrow it down. This is exactly the same as we are doing. Looking at the physical and then applying what we know to figure it out. I really can't see how our ways are different.
What is brilliant about this response is that it highlights how INFPs and ISTPs think differently.

In my example, I was referencing a mechanic's knowledge only, as if someone told him about a problem and he tried to figure it out. You're right that a mechanic would actually look at a car; however, for the purpose of my analogy, I was focusing merely on the "knowing" aspect.

There is no use in looking at my own physical responses to emotions, since I rarely demonstrate them physically. The idea that I might "realise" I'm angry because I notice my fists are clenched, for example, seems a bit odd to me; I would certainly recognise the anger first and then the fist-clenching.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Most of the time, I can't really figure them out (emotions), and they don't really play a part in how I deal with people. That said, I can definitely feel anger..
yep, anger is pretty easy to recognize. it works for envy too.
everything else i recognize by thinking, thinking, body language and more thinking.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Negative emotions are usually easier for me to recognize. Different levels of happiness is hard because I usually find I am in a state of calm, content not-apathy.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting, the strong emotions seem to be easily understood and recognized but what about the not so common ones? The common ones being anger, fear, joy, happiness, sadness etc. What about say... apprehension? tension?

do you know when you are feeling them and if so, how did you figure out it was that? I personally find it really hard to figure them out on my own.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts