Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Example:

Say you are at home sitting at your couch and being antisocial while watching TV, and a friend invites you over a party.

Now. How do you know if you really want to go to the party because you feel like VS you really want to go to the party because it would be what you SHOULD do?

In the first case you are being yourself, in the other your EGO/social norms are being a obstacle.

So how can you tell the difference?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I thought typical ISTPs would not do any "should do" thingy ;-)

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
How can you NOT tell the difference? I can't really say I've ever had any problem distinguishing what I wanted from what I didn't.

·
Registered
951 Posts
What about if you really want to do something you should do, because it's the right thing and you have a genuine desire to do the right thing?

·
Banned
72 Posts
You know that you really want it, when you feel empty, upset, and you NEED IT.

The rest is obvious. Many factors influence (friends at the party, time you haven't had party...)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think the difference for me comes from where I feel the need (yes, yes) and what goes in my mind the moment I'm faced with the situation.

When I really want something, I feel it deep in my body, from my stomach, through the heart to the tip of my toes. I also start imagining how much fun I'd feel when I'd do / have this thing.

When I don't want to do something and feel forced by society (or by my personal beliefs of how I should act) I feel it from my head and I try to convince myself to do it by explaining to myself why I need to do it, what is expected of me and how I'd turn this unpleasant situation to an enjoyable experience.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
21,025 Posts
Hi.

Example:

Say you are at home sitting at your couch and being antisocial while watching TV, and a friend invites you over a party.

Now. How do you know if you really want to go to the party because you feel like VS you really want to go to the party because it would be what you SHOULD do?

In the first case you are being yourself, in the other your EGO/social norms are being a obstacle.

So how can you tell the difference?
Because I won't go just because I think I should. I'll only go if I really want to. Most of the time, it would have to be something serious for me to not want to go, like having to work the next morning, or for some other practical reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.