Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you learn? What is your learning style?

I personally am a kinesthetic learner, which means I never stop moving. If in class, my knees have to keep bouncing, or I have to keep spinning a pen in my hand. My best way to learn is to say, "show me" and then I mimic whatever it was they do, and the conclusions sorta spontaneously form in my mind somehow and I understand how the system works.

If I'm programming, I read through the program to see what they did, construct it in my mind, and then know exactly what to do from there.

When people try to teach by speaking to me, I require large pauses to think. Some people expect that they can just talk and I start understanding as their talking, but I need to think through every single fact they present. Its like a sort of verbal dislexia of mine. But the second they go to a board, draw a picture, or draw an algorithm, it clicks and I understand within minutes after asking a couple questions.

Teachers often tell me, "that won't teach you anything?" That has to be the most frustrating thing that I hear on a daily basis over at this fucking school.

Does anyone experience similar frustrations? Anyone know what's going on here? I have little control defending myself without faking arrogance and pissing them off. Is this an ISTP thing or just a me thing?

I learn to draw my own pictures by tracing other's pictures. I learn to do gymnastics by watching others and imagining myself doing what they are.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Kinaesthetic learner for me as well.

Always had to keep some body part moving, also, in high school , I had the covers on my exercise books different textures (maths books were smooth, biology book rough, English book both smooth and rough etc).

I can't understand the speech of others too well if the information is complicated, which is why I like emails so much, and so I fell behind in maths in high school and had to do simple maths only. :sad:

Does anyone experience similar frustrations? Anyone know what's going on here?
Certainly.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I learn through information that are being shared in alongside a framework I can work with. I love to have as much theoretical information about an activity before doing it myself, even then however I'll learn most of it while doing rather than pondering.

I don't learn well from books but I need things to be shown and laid out to me in an understandable pattern as well as through repetition (math). Due to that behavior I've never learned to learn as some would say. I went through school and college without ever doing anything for it. I was never the best, never the worst, so it's been dandy for me. Ever since I attended University this has changed as the behavior can no longer be upheld due to how the system works from here on out. It's all about self learning / teaching rather than having a person sharing its knowledge on subjects in an understandable way.

If I'm to get familiar with existing source codes for example I compile the thing and see what it does, while then analyzing the code. To make sure I grasped the concept correctly I'll edit some value to see whether or not the result shifts to my expectations. Lots of trial and error involved but since I'm good at spotting patterns is the most efficient way for me to move forward and progress.

Learning during my childhood and puberty greatly dependent on the teachers I've had. I was good in English and Biology, I hated physic, chemic and French with a passion though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I can't learn by lecture. I get lost with the spoken word. I need to either do what I'm being taught, or I need to see diagrams and clear examples. In times when I absolutely HAD to learn by lecture (former job, they sent me to a ton of seminars), I would draw diagrams of what they were saying so that I could keep my head in the lesson ... even if what I was drawing wouldn't have made sense to any other person in the room, it made the abstract concrete for me, and that's what I need if I'm gonna retain anything.

I don't sit still either; always changing positions, tapping pencils, getting up, touching things.

Like Capsicum, I prefer emails, especially in business communication. I have a lot of clients who prefer TALKING about their contracts and what they need and all that - and to get around that, I type an email while we're on the phone, and then edit and send it off as a "memorandum of understanding" basically - so that I know what we discussed is all in writing and I didn't miss anything. I don't like verbal agreements, because nine times out of ten I'll forget what we agreed to, and be broadsided later when they bring it up.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I am also a kinesthetic or visual learner. I'm always fidgeting with something. If I'm not taking notes, I'm doodling. For some reason, it keeps my mind focused, keeps it from wandering. One time in work training, I was doodling, and my boss was a little annoyed with me. I told her I was listening, and I could repeat everything that she had said. I have a History class this semester, and I love my teacher, because whenever he's talking about some battle or alliance or migration, he'd draw the map on the board (albeit a crappy one), and give the visual. It works wonders.

I learn by imitation as well, especially with my drawing. I use art books and random pictures and sketches to give me ideas and to show me the correct way of doing it. I will reproduce it with perfection.

I can learn from books, but the textbooks have to have good visual examples or clear written explanations. If they don't, I won't even bother with them. It seems like the textbooks for my linguistics classes are globbity-gluck, so I don't even read them. The lectures are usually so much clearer.

·
Registered
247 Posts
^^you reminded me, madhatter, I'm always doodling when I have to listen to someone talk. If I can't draw some sort of pattern (usually geometric patterns, actually - somehow that keeps me focused best), I get lost. If I'm on the phone with someone, I'm pacing or doodling or doing some chore. If I'm not active SOMEHOW, I'm not listening.

That's why get-togethers where the sole purpose is to sit and talk are so dreadful for me. Can't we play beer pong or asshole or something?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Same as everyone else...I have to do it or see it to learn it. When someone is telling me how to do something I usually can't get it. I'm also not good at giving verbal directions either, I can show you much better.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't really know to be honest. I sit there usually drum my fingers together or go into an coma if its the morning. I don't need to think to write the notes down. To actually revise I usually write it all out and read it or sometimes if I can I use this memory thing where you make the words into cartoons or pictures. Usually do that to remember cases or laws.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
kinesthetic also here but to cope with the massive mount of verbal information, i write it all down if its math based or attempt to form some picture and then write that down. I never read my notebooks but atleast i know that i will retain some of the information. I need to see how it works otherwise i wont understand it that easy. The college i am in now is 99% talking only which is a royal pain to study. The last one i was in had practical demonstrations every lecture.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I learn much easier by example. If you just read to me and tell me something, there's a very good chance I will forget it later and not remember what you just said. But show me by example and I almost always catch on pretty quick.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Visual, and at times hand on. I usually teach things to myself, though compared to the rest of you guys I learn almost just as easily from the written or spoken word. Though I do suck a verbally teaching, even theories I have to draw stuff out in order to get my point across.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'm an auditory learner.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Usually only one way at a time. I have been able to intensely listen to someone speaking or intensely watch them do something but it's hard for me to do both at the same time. So my attention tends to wander around from one thing to the other and I get distracted and not pay attention.

Like someone was showing me something on the computer and talking and it was like do you want me to pay attention to you or what is happening on screen?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Primarily a kinesthetic learner, secondarily an auditory learner.
I can listen and learn, but it's much better if I'm shown the way to do something. I pick up subjects quickly, but because of this, if there is too much noise/movement around me whilst I'm learning or doing something, I get overwhelmed and cannot learn shit. I loathe loud people. :(

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The same as everybody. By seeing, by trying, NOT by listening. The thing I'm struggling the most with all my life is the teaching style where you first hear the theory and only weeks, months later get to finally see what you were listening about. When I actually have the picture in my head and I rehear the theoretical explanation, I finally understand what is going on.

Doodling, oh yes. It's the same as listening to music for me. If I don't have my mind focused on something, my senses wonder all around and I can't concentrate. But if I doodle while listening to a lecture or listen to music while reading a book, all my senses are very centralized and it's much easier.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I like books especially with examples or pictures:) The best thing about books is that you can stop in the middle of the page and start thinking about what it all means and then get right back to where you left off.
If someone is talking and you start paying attention to the way their eyes are moving or their hands are waving around or your own thoughts, there's a limit to how many times you can say 'what did you just say?' without them being pissed:)

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I learn simply by doing. Visual guides CAN help, but usually I am just in too much of a lazy mood to take advantage of referential material. And since I haven't been to school for a good.... 5 years, Learning by doing can usually be thought of as diving head-first into something and figuring it out yourself.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
If someone is talking and you start paying attention to the way their eyes are moving or their hands are waving around or your own thoughts, there's a limit to how many times you can say 'what did you just say?' without them being pissed:)
I feel like such a jerk when I do this. Half the time is because I simply didn't hear them...people don't enunciate their words...it's very annoying.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts