Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive observed every types manipulative tendencies, but id still like to hear personally from you. we are strangers, right, so no secrets?

i lie only if i believe the other person is too stubborn to listen to reason. such as..:
to cops: when ive threatened someone, and they come asking questions from me, i just pretend all innocent, and justify my reasoning well.

at a store: i broke an item, which was overpriced, so i judged its capitalism, and when a seller came to inquisite about it to me, i altered my memories as if i didnt notice that i broke it, and acted how i wouldve acted as if that was the real truth.

and i sometimes lie to myself, and then spread my false thoughts to others, without knowing i lied to myself.. <.<

other than that, im all innocent.

im expecially interested in feelers lies, since thinkers lies are so obvious anyways.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Usually, I lie by omission. People don't want to hear the truth and I have bigger fish to fry. I'd be in non-stop confrontation if I didn't pick my battles.

·
Sweet Matrimony.
ENTJ 8w7 so/sx
7,160 Posts
I just tell them what they want to hear and pretend to give a damn when I don't.

Reactions: shakti

·
Banned
24 Posts
Usually, I lie by omission. People don't want to hear the truth and I have bigger fish to fry. I'd be in non-stop confrontation if I didn't pick my battles.
I do the same. It's very rare I flat out lie or make up a story - and in those instances it's only a last resort.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Omission, or a straight lie for fun. IE pranks or jokes. Manipulation is an art and lying is the worst way to do it. It is like finger painting. I prefer to use logic, feelings and desires to persuade people that I am helping them when they are doing me a service. The art to it is to make sure they don't realize they were manipulated at all.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My lies are just so good they seem obvious. It's a clever ploy, I tell you!

I hardly ever lie, possibly because I grew up terrified to with some kind of human lie detector for a mother. I find that once I start it becomes harder and harder to keep up and the anxiety becomes overwhelming. I also hope that at least a few people will repay honest treatment with honest treatment. Like others, I might lie by omission.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
ive observed every types manipulative tendencies, but id still like to hear personally from you. we are strangers, right, so no secrets?

i lie only if i believe the other person is too stubborn to listen to reason. such as..:
to cops: when ive threatened someone, and they come asking questions from me, i just pretend all innocent, and justify my reasoning well.

at a store: i broke an item, which was overpriced, so i judged its capitalism, and when a seller came to inquisite about it to me, i altered my memories as if i didnt notice that i broke it, and acted how i wouldve acted as if that was the real truth.

and i sometimes lie to myself, and then spread my false thoughts to others, without knowing i lied to myself.. <.<

other than that, im all innocent.

im expecially interested in feelers lies, since thinkers lies are so obvious anyways.
scumbagsteve.jpg
Scumbag Steve much?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I hate lying and dishonesty.
I very, very rarely do it, and I need a very good, unselfish reason to do it.
I will lie to spare someones feelings, but usually not for my own benefit... It makes me feel really bad

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lols, thats funny. but honestly, its such a rare occasion that these happen. like sometimes i think im thinking all smart, but my thoughts are actually all wrong, even though they seem like the most rational thing.. =X

·
Registered
245 Posts
I lie about almost everything, usually in order to manipulate someone or to change the situation.
Sometimes I lie to have a little fun and to become someone different for a few moments.
Mainly, I lie to my parents because they only know a single side of me. I don't want them seeing the truth behind my mask.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use gentle manipulation to change the course of peoples' emotions during any dispute or accusation and it nearly always comes out how I wanted.. but I don't see manipulating in that way as lieing, but maybe I'm wrong :laughing:

I also just omit things I don't want people to know, avoid the subject all together or distract by changing the subject which also works really really well. But when I'm asked directly and there's no escaping, I clench my teeth and just tell the truth really bluntly.

In general, I don't really lie outright. I prefer to keep things open and honest, and before I do anything, prepare myself to take the consequences if I'm confronted. And I've learned for the most part to tell people the unpositive truth about themselves when they ask. But that's my biggest problem still.

For instance, the last lie I told was when I wasn't relishing spending a car ride alone with a 46-year-old guy that was hitting on me.. he's dad's friend and when he said something about me hating him, I denied it :-/

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@God

now that you mentioned, i intentionally keep the parts of me i know the other wouldnt automatically accept, hidden.
like my problems. i never really deal with them, and even less do i tell of them to others.
it makes me very shameful for having problems, and afraid that the other wouldnt like the idea of me not being what they wanted.
something to do with 4w3.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I decorate the truth with nicer parts.
I also just don't tell people the parts they wouldn't want to hear if it isn't too serious.
If it's serious, I just tell the truth.

Right now my phone is sitting in a bowl of rice, and has been for the past day, and I've just told my parents 'it's at home somewhere'. It is at home, in the airing cupboard in a whole bowl of rice. I just didn't mention the fact that I broke it.

I mostly lie to protect people's feelings, or to protect people (or myself)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ok I take that back. HAHA!!
I just realized I've always lied to people when I'm avoiding them.. such as saying I'm busy or blowing my prior commitments out of proportion so that it seems impossible to get together when I don't want to.

I've always joked around lieing too.. pranks and such.. but I usually don't find it funny unless I'm obvious or I'm not planning on letting it go on too long. Or if its a prank on a stranger to entertain my friends.. Lol.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Typically, I'm honest to a fault. I have incriminated myself more than once because of this. I'm a terrible liar, and I hate to do it besides, because I think the truth is preferable 99% of the time. The worst thing is someone else asking me to lie for them. The only time I might lie is if telling the truth would cause way too much disharmony. Not telling the whole truth/lying by omission is usually the way to go in those instances.

·
Registered
245 Posts
@Tharwen : I keep things hidden from most simply because I don't see why I should open my weaknesses up to people. I dislike being see as someone who is broken, and I wish to maintain the illusion of being someone that is almost more than human.
I understand your point, though, and I find myself there often, too.

·
Registered
484 Posts
@Tharwen : I keep things hidden from most simply because I don't see why I should open my weaknesses up to people. I dislike being see as someone who is broken, and I wish to maintain the illusion of being someone that is almost more than human.
I understand your point, though, and I find myself there often, too.
Such is folly. Even Jesus was a human being once, and he had his weaknesses to handle. You are a human being with flaws and weaknesses like the other 7+billion human beings on this planet. Accept yourself and don't worry about the others, they are fighting their own battles. Life is but a short thing, enjoy it.

Reactions: Cappuccino
1 - 20 of 47 Posts