Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Throughout my life, I have been a particularly good liar because of my ability to assimilate and completely ingrain my 'story' into my mind, believing it myself. By rewriting my memory of the event, I construct a different scenario that is logically sound and detach from the original event, then insert the 'story' as my perception of the event, which then produces the facial expressions, body language, and speech patterns required to convince the person to whom I tell it. However, I tend to react more emotionally than I would had the described scenario been true.

Has anyone else experienced something of the like?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Whenever I have to think of an excuse for missing a music lesson or a band practice or something, I spend ages on it. I don't even imagine anything elaborate - it's just something along the lines of, "I had to go and see another teacher about a homework exercise and only remembered about band after I'd talked to him. By that point, band was almost over and I didn't have time to go."

Before I talk to my music teacher or the band leader, I have to be certain that I know what I'm saying, what to say if they ask me any questions about it and that the whole thing makes sense.

The person I'm lying to doesn't even care. They probably know I'm lying or making a crappy excuse, but they don't mind that much and just tell me not to do it again.

I think music teachers are the only people I get so worked up about lying to. They're the only ones I'm really afraid of because they're so fantastic at getting the truth out of you and guilt-tripping you into things you don't want to do. I've tried to quit my trombone lessons a few times already, but I was made to feel so guilty about it that I just couldn't! Now my Music exams depend on these lessons and I'll fail if I quit them.

I'm quitting after the exams, though. THE TROMBONE IS RUINING MY LIFE!

To answer your question, I put a lot of thought into my lies before I have to use them.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm not INTP, but being an extrovert I feel compelled to answer regardless. :laughing:

I lie pretty easily, but I don't go to all the trouble of rewriting my memories like the OP does. I tend to think my lies up in an instant and for the purpose at hand.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'm not INTP, but being an extrovert I feel compelled to answer regardless. :laughing:

I lie pretty easily, but I don't go to all the trouble of rewriting my memories like the OP does. I tend to think my lies up in an instant and for the purpose at hand.
Lucky. I wish I could be better at that.
Any tips?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Technically I'm pretty good at lying; suggesting things with details often works wonder; that's more prevarication, people make their own wrong ideas with it, and I can always "clarify" later (read : deny -yeah for INTPs, with little effort and a dictionnary you can turn blue into red-).

One thing that can get me caught is that I suck at telling the truth, I don't put any effort into it.
So if I look as convincing as the next folk I might be lying.

But I actually don't lie so often; if I have to give a reason for something I go with "sorry I was no there because I was elsewhere instead." or "I was busy finding an excuse for my absence so I couldn't show up, I blame it on you all for potentially asking for an excuse and preventing me to come."

I love to tell blatant lies for the fun of it, but I can't help to say the truth afterwards; I'm too kind.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Lucky. I wish I could be better at that.
Any tips?
I dunno, I don't exactly have a set process... I just go OH SHIT whatdoidowhatdoido... AHA! And some brilliant idea pops into my head, and I run with that. If I have some time to get my story straight I might run through random events until one clicks and develop a story out of there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I....don't lie that often, like maybe once a year? I'm always 5-10 minutes early for classes. Never missed a class before. I never break rules and I've never been to the office and rarely get in trouble with my parents and when I do its over silly things.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I gotta think things through before I lie. It has to be perfect.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
What you described is very much like how I lie, and I was actually thinking about this earlier this morning. It's interesting to see someone else who works the same way.

For me it seems, like you said, that I can detach myself from what is "real" and act within the context of the framework of the lie. Just like you said, the speech, facial expressions etc. then are instant and effortless, as I can act as if it was true, while still maintaining that detachment from the framework of the lie to know that it is false, and to be able to analyse the situation to adjust the framework accordingly.

I can very quickly construct entire scenarios and see the possible consequences of various different things as well, so it makes creating these "lying frameworks" easy.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If I know I'm going to do something that requires lying, I spend most of the time before I lie coming up with a believable story. It must be consistent with itself and outside "forces," and I run it through over and over to make sure I got it down right.

Even so, I'm apparently not that good lying to someone's face. At least, not if I'm in a good mood (I usually laugh cuz something's funny, I dunno what o_O). If I'm pissed or something, it's much easier.

I think I'm better at lying in the form of deception. Keeping secrets, telling half-truths, hiding important information, stealing, doing something I'm told not to, breaking the rules, defying authority, going behind people's backs, getting rid of evidence, deleting Internet history (lol). Sneaky, stealthy things, lying under the radar, that's what I'm best at. That's how I lie.

Reactions: feefafo

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I suck at lying so I just don't even try. I guess this is some screwed up self-rules I go by. I can explain anything to anyone, and just go that route>lying. If others are unhappy with the outcome, then I will work on a solution.

I worked and managed many people who were always trying to lie to get out of work or whatever. I can see other people lying fairly easy when face-to-face. I guess maybe I look down on the whole process as beneath me.

I must say my self-governing rules are screwed up because other actions that many consider worse: smoking weed, a few drinks on the job, or just flat out saying that you do not feel like working today; I find less sever.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I'm terrible when I don't believe my own lies, besides which I really try not to anyway unless I feel the need is there usually for consideration of someone else's feelings or for self-preservation purposes lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
By rewriting my memory of the event, I construct a different scenario that is logically sound and detach from the original event, then insert the 'story' as my perception of the event
That's exactly what I do. I just have to get into the mindset of recalling the imaginary event as an actual memory. That way it even resembles a memory, so it feels less like a lie. It's even better if I can sprinkle some of the truth in there (half truths) .
However, I'm typically very bad at lying in person. I always laugh when someone is looking at me suspiciously, regardless of whether or not I'm lying. Suspiciousness in other people is just funny to me, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I don't lie except possibly by leaving out information if it suits me to do so. I could probably stand to learn to lie to save other people's feelings, but I don't care to. (no, those pants don't make you look fat--your excess fat makes you look fat.)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Mix truths with possibilities and add little details. Imagine what I'm saying to be plausible enough to make it consistent. Can be pretty disconcerting.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm not a INTP but.. I usually think up something rather quickly but then again it depends on the predicament
but usually I wing it

·
Registered
37 Posts
I....don't lie that often, like maybe once a year? I'm always 5-10 minutes early for classes. Never missed a class before. I never break rules and I've never been to the office and rarely get in trouble with my parents and when I do its over silly things.
Are you sure that you are INTP? Unless that entire post was a complete lie:p (if by the 1% chance that you are actually telling the truth, please go do something devious as your unlikely innocence would kill me)

Lying is an art. You need to bait your victim first. Say some very unlikely but true things (ie that people will confirm). After that, tell the truth as much as you can and save that precious lie for when it is needed. Unless you have morals, then I suggest telling the truth as lying is overrated:p

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I do the exact same thing. I myself percieve me as to never have told a lie, but in reality I know I have just "rewritten" my memories as you described.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts