Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I am an ENFP and very interested in how people make decisions. (Although I often postpone my decisions to the last minute) I am married to an awesome INTJ and you may be able to imagine we approach decision making in a different way -- (i.e., I want to wait and leave things open, he wants things decided yesterday).

I think that our differences in how we make decisions I find to be really interesting!

Any good stories about differences in decision making with you and your partner?

How do you make decisions?

What decisions are hard for you to make?

Any and all thoughts are welcome! I look forward to hearing from you!

:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd MUCH rather know exactly what the plan is compared to leaving things open. In my experience, people that like to keep things "open" tend to not know how to fill their time (wisely) and get bored way too easily. More planning = less stressing = more fun.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I make decisions based on what is the most efficient (Te), and what is the best (Ni), it's tough to balance the two: Speed versus perfection. I like to plan things out, but I do leave time open in my schedule for things that I know will pop up. I don't want to be too rigidly scheduled because then the amount of time I have to work on things will be restricted.

Reactions: abandsd

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I avoid making decisions
Wow this is awesome! So many different approaches -- Skellonan, what do you do when a decision can no longer be avoided? Default to someone else? Select randomly?

Thanks everyone! I look forward to more answers!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I try to gather as much knowledge about the problem at hand. I think about what I need to solve and the most efficient way to get a permanent solution. Sometimes my feelings/emotions pop up, but I try to stay rational. Most things I need to solve right now are too long term for feelings to be relevant.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I look at the outward situation, and based on nuances of it and how it appeals/doesn't appeal, I make a decision. It's important that the the decision is right for me, regardless of what other people think about it.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
I make decisions and what whatever makes me happy, I mean, it's simple, what I want and feel is the right thing for me. It's simple.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Some things left open, will actually screw up opportunities that are high priority in the bigger picture of life. I have criteria. I have enough life experience to know something about how I operate best. I have made decisions that give high priority to ongoing opportunities for creative work. When my business was my primary income and going well, I gave high priority to customers who created opportunity to produce shining examples of my best work. It was a good shot that this would attract more of the type of work I can do well and profit enough from, to be able to keep on doing work I love and can do well (as an example).

Not finishing work would mean not getting paid. (finishing work means making decisions, putting yourself out there, and possibly having dreams crushed) Not getting paid (by not finishing) might mean I would have to go get a regular job. In my case regular meant boring without much upward mobility, because I could look at causes and effects of business models and what someone would hire me for. So the choice isn't between adventure and boredom, the choice is commitment to what you believe is worthwhile or somehow providing ongoing opportunities, or acceptance of what you may be forced into if you don't choose. If you agonize about decisions that have no big consequences then just flip a coin (or tell the INTJ you will support what they decide).

I believe this is Ti. Fi would seem to me to be much harder to live with, in terms of making choices in life. But I saw some statistics that said ENFP's have good earning power in relationship to education which was also statistically, comparatively high. So my guess about Fi, combined with Ne, (because my dad is ESFP) is that Fi battles between what you want and what you believe you should want, or how you believe you will be perceived by others?

Since you guys are both N at least you don't battle over creature comforts?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I take all options into consideration. I may ask receive input from multiple people who are looking at the situation from several different angles. Then I will usually go with whatever option is best for all parties, whether i think it is fair to everyone (including me) or not.

Unless and INFJ is invovled, then I turn into a puddle of goo and do whatever my feelings tell me to. ::eyeroll::

1 - 10 of 10 Posts