Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
ISTP 9w8
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not always late, but I often am. Normally when I start a new job or commitment I'll feel a little on edge at first, so I'll make the effort to arrive on time or slightly early. As time goes on I start caring less and sometimes even feel resentful, so I'll slip more and more. The problem is worse in the mornings because I don't sleep until after midnight. I know in my head I should go to bed early, but I honestly feel more alive late at night? Also, consequences don't feel "real" to me until they're right in my face.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
If you can't get away with being chronically late to work, it's quite difficult (even for me):

Here's what I do to myself:
Just get the fuck up! Do it! Get up, get ready... DO!!! Fuck bed, I wanna wörk.

·
Registered
INTP
4,439 Posts
I sympathize. I'm also a night person, and I tend to get bored and fed up with routine.

Figure out how much stuff you really need to do in order to get to work on time. Budget lots of time for everything. For example, don't allow 5 minutes for getting washed and dressed if you know it really takes half an hour. Don't allow 1 minute to walk to the bus stop (or to start the car) if you know it takes 3 minutes.

My take on the reward system is that it has to occur during the yucky activity. Examples:

Invest in a nice coffee maker that will make you a special coffee in the morning, or treat yourself to a nice coffee from a coffee shop on your way to work, or arrive at work a couple of minutes early and have a coffee with coworkers--whatever works for you.

Play your favorite music while you get ready for work, or on your way to work.

If you take the bus, buy the video game you want but can't really afford, to make your trip to work more tolerable.

The suggestion about getting a new job might also be viable. I didn't do well in the work world, so I switched to freelancing from home. Good luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had "Early is on time, on time is late" drilled into my head for years and it stuck. I also hate being rushed so I normally try to be 5 mins early that way I can run a little 'late' without actually being late.

·
Registered
ISTP
1,208 Posts
I'm not always late, but I often am. Normally when I start a new job or commitment I'll feel a little on edge at first, so I'll make the effort to arrive on time or slightly early. As time goes on I start caring less and sometimes even feel resentful, so I'll slip more and more. The problem is worse in the mornings because I don't sleep until after midnight. I know in my head I should go to bed early, but I honestly feel more alive late at night? Also, consequences don't feel "real" to me until they're right in my face.
The trick is to get yourself into as few commitments that require schedules as possible. In other words, you don't make yourself not "late", you get out of situations where being punctual is relevant.

That's probably viewed as some kind of privilege in this world, but I don't particularly care to fit myself to the world. I guess if you are forced into e.g. jobs that definitely require rigid schedules, all there is to say is that you definitely will never be happy. Working in a factory on a line is my personal definition of hell, for instance.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
The trick is to get yourself into as few commitments that require schedules as possible. In other words, you don't make yourself not "late", you get out of situations where being punctual is relevant.

That's probably viewed as some kind of privilege in this world, but I don't particularly care to fit myself to the world. I guess if you are forced into e.g. jobs that definitely require rigid schedules, all there is to say is that you definitely will never be happy. Working in a factory on a line is my personal definition of hell, for instance.
This is not a healthy mentality.

·
Registered
ISTP
1,208 Posts
This is not a healthy mentality.
By whose definition?

It's not as if there aren't enough alternatives to this J-style industrial world. I'm not made for it, so what would be the point of going there? You organise your life in a way that suits you, everything else would be silly -- and for me that means flexibility aside from schedules whenever possible, and there's nothing I need to do to "change" myself, because most definitely either is not some sort of "natural" or "correct" state that would be needed to adhered to.

It's not any different with getting up early. Hate doing that. So instead of moaning about it, I make sure I'm at places where I can arrive at 10 and it takes no longer than 15 minutes to reach. How is that not perfectly logical?

·
Registered
Peter Petrelli
6,175 Posts
I get my stuff together the night before, so I can wake up at the last minute, grab my stuff, and go

1 - 16 of 16 Posts