Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently become aware of the extent of fear in my disintegration process.
So I'm coming here to you guys who embody anxiety.
How do you manage the fear?
Do you have any special tactics or strategies?

Reactions: white-knuckle

·
Registered
44 Posts
so I struggle with it, but I usually try to assess if its actually dangerous, and if I figure out it isn't soon enough, I'll just power through the fear. be like: hey, brain! shut your damn mouth!

usually works well for me ;)

Reactions: Inveniet

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Creative strategies depending on the fear. Out of box thinking type of strategies and I'm always moving forward. There must always be progress and growth for me to feel no anxiety. I put myself through lots of growing pains on purpose (but this is the counter phobic thing. I'm more afraid of being afraid so I'll cry about it for a few seconds, make a plan and run for it). Essentially action does the trick. And like that Dr Seuss quote.. Those who matter don't mind because I know my way of being can be super confusing for everyone I've ever met despite me wishing people would be able to look back and get it (not that they have to agree but to see the method in the madness.. That would be dreamy)

·
Registered
585 Posts
The best long term fix for fears that are preventing you from doing relatively normal every day things is probably just to have bad stuff happen to you. For me, making it through a bunch of road bumps gave me some confidence that bad stuff will happen, but I'll probably survive. I can still get ruffled and end up in a phobic paralysis, but it has gotten a lot better. Indeed, to many, I resemble a healthy, self-assured human being. Of course, it goes without saying that these people have clearly been duped, and that I am actually an unstable vortex of cray-cray who is unworthy of real love. But I put on a good face. Ahem.

Aaaanyway, Mr. Stephen Sondheim based an entire musical on the difficult task of tackling the fears you mention. Typically, when a particular life challenge inspires high art, we can safely assume that there is no easy solution.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
If it doesn't kill you, then push through and face it head on. Trust me, you come out exhilarated and feeling lighter on the other side every time!

If you do this every time, you take back your power & defeat your fears one step at a time.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
My main way is probabilities. "What is the likelihood [insert anxiety-causing situation] is going to happen?" "How likely will [insert various outcomes] happen?" (And let's not forget "If [insert worst case scenario] does happen, how badly will it actually affect me?") Generally the probability is so low that I can rationalize the futility of worrying. If the likelihood isn't low enough, then I move onto "Which solutions will be the most likely to be helpful?" and, basically, pick the top three and implement them.

Lots of mental gymnastics, but it's become second nature and I can go through it all relatively quickly. Does require being rational and/or methodical, though, I suppose.

It could be an internal manifestation of the 6(w7)'s "consult everyone," "let's talk things out" habit. I hate the idea of making it so utterly foolish that it becomes funny, but trying to "solve" it out helps me.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
My main way is probabilities. "What is the likelihood [insert anxiety-causing situation] is going to happen?" "How likely will [insert various outcomes] happen?" (And let's not forget "If [insert worst case scenario] does happen, how badly will it actually affect me?") Generally the probability is so low that I can rationalize the futility of worrying. If the likelihood isn't low enough, then I move onto "Which solutions will be the most likely to be helpful?" and, basically, pick the top three and implement them.

Lots of mental gymnastics, but it's become second nature and I can go through it all relatively quickly. Does require being rational and/or methodical, though, I suppose.

I laughed when I read this, because it's what I do exactly. And though it makes sense that I can't be the ONLY person with that coping strategy; it's just funny to see someone else having written it out, since it's not something I've ever verbalized or even consciously thought about before. And even if it doesn't provide a solution, it'll exhaust you to the point of not being able to think about said thing and more onto something less anxiety inducing.

Basically, what I'm saying is "Seconded, because the system works" lol.

Reactions: Paradigm
1 - 8 of 8 Posts