Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We recently went to a movie. There was a period of 15 minutes where there was no sound (we arrived 45 minutes early) and then a period of sounds but still no visual commercials. During these period we played with a laser light against the screen on and off--mainly dragging it across the room or spinning in exxagerated circles on the screen and later on 2 minutes into the credits.

Afterwards an older couple complained about it. The man was wondering who the "moron" was who was messing with the light. As we were directly behind them I volunteered my sister, his loud frankness was mildly irritating and figured the gesture would illicit a little embarrassment. Instead his wife said it was somehow very distracting from the film (huh?) and the man went into saying that he at one time had to go into territory where there was laser aiming. Normally I'd feel very wrong, and normally second guessing my opinion, but when we was saying this, somehow...it was complete bunk and it was obvious his goal was to embarrass her.

What confirmed it for me was post incident. They left the chairs first and as we were passing by in the hallway and we were still in earshot I heard his wife say they should get away from those idiots. Before I simply considered them just an older couple with a lack of humor, but I was pretty disgusted going and by and wanted to say something. They weren't just having a bad day, they were jerks. It came as a surprise particularly because I assumed, even the meanest of older folks grew out of the attitude one way or another. Whether from mellowing out of a bad reaction or whatever.

They were picking on her, she felt terrible for it (for context, she's in midteens), and they were taking advantage of the fact she didn't want to show disrespect. I feel bad because there are so many things I could've said or done but didn't, I gave them curious looks and as we were exiting I gave them an extra smile bye, but I wish a lot of the things I thought of later I said or done.

EDIT: Maybe not entirely jerks, who knows. There was definitely a particular attitude they both had in talk and demeanor that was hard to not sense. I hate to come off judgy myself, but that story was bogus, the typical veteran wouldn't act like that and it seems insulting to use it

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I'd just let it go. They don't sound like nice people, but it isn't exactly a no-fault situation. I always stick around for the entire credits; I'm big on movie scores, and I enjoy the credits as much as the actual movie. I don't think I would like a laser all over the screen either. If you're prone to motion sickness, that sort of thing genuinely sucks.

They weren't just having a bad day, they were jerks.
These are complete strangers. They very well could have been jerks, but honestly you don't know anything about their day or what they're dealing with in their lives.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I don't think a movie theater is the place for laser pointers. People don't go there to see a laser show. I can see why the old couple got irritated. I prefer not to judge either side because I didn't personally experience that situation. It's just that for me this sounds like you complain about something that you and your sister started and could have avoided without playing with the laser pointer in the first place. I'm not saying you shouldn't do that in the future but don't expect that you can do whatever you want without getting negative responses.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe it's just me but I don't think a movie theater is the place for laser pointers. People don't go there to see a laser show. I can see why the old couple got irritated. I prefer not to judge either side because I didn't personally experience that situation. It's just that for me this sounds like you complain about something that you and your sister started and could have avoided without playing with the laser pointer in the first place. I'm not saying you shouldn't do that in the future but don't expect that you can do whatever you want without getting negative responses.
I completely agree actually that it was stupid to use it in the theater, we used it awhile before anything showed up on a screen at all though and during credits toward the ending--I think special thanks was circled. I'm not surprised by the reaction, I'm surprised how they reacted. Both jumped on my sister, she felt bad immediately after, why go any further?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd just let it go. They don't sound like nice people, but it isn't exactly a no-fault situation. I always stick around for the entire credits; I'm big on movie scores, and I enjoy the credits as much as the actual movie. I don't think I would like a laser all over the screen either. If you're prone to motion sickness, that sort of thing genuinely sucks.

These are complete strangers. They very well could have been jerks, but honestly you don't know anything about their day or what they're dealing with in their lives.
I feel bad for rash judgement now. Though am not usually that quick, they just had this demeanor and way of walking, but hey, I walk like a duck and sometimes don't smile when I thought I did. We circled "Special thanks" and a name from the long sheet of credits I think. For whatever reason it seemed they had distaste for kids or the were prone to complain.

Among things I wish I said, Sorry about that then, want to try it?/Keep it?/A hug?/The intention wasn't to bother...etc

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The difference between me and that old couple is that I'm conflict avoidant, so I just don't go to theaters anymore unless they are more expensive. Rude behaviors have driven me completely away from most theaters, mostly talking or cell phones (never have witnessed the laser pointer). If I had to speculate, those people were just as sick and tired, and rarely get to confront the people actually doing the action.

I don't mean to dogpile here, but... yeah.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, funny thing is there was a family below both of us who were using on their phones a lot (not talking fortunately) and some crying kids during the film. I do feel bad about the pointer post-movie during the credits, but considering the vast emptiness beforehand--I see no wrong or rudeness in it

·
Registered
738 Posts
I work at a park. During the summer we get into problems because people want to enjoy their day, but they don't seem to realize that what they find fun is not shared by everyone else around them. They play their music too loud (or play songs with cursing). They play football in the picnic area and toss the ball into someone else's table or run over a little kid while trying to catch it. Sometimes they get drunk and start getting a little too loud and a little too rowdy. They take a canoe out and land it on someone else's private property. Most of these people are just trying to enjoy their time, but they aren't thinking about how their "fun" is affecting the experience of the other people who also came out to have fun.

When we go into a public area, we cannot think of it as our home or backyard. We have to be respectful of the experience of other people. That gentleman may not have approached you in the best way, but it doesn't mean using the laser pointer on the movie screen was respectful.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
It sounds like the guy might've had PTSD. There's guns that aim using lasers, and even though it's very improbable to find those in a theater setting, the reminder was probably pretty distressing. People go to movies to ahve fun, not be reminded of things that terrified them and threatened their lives.

That said...you weren't hurting anybody, and you were careful to keep it to times where it didn't interfere with the movie. So I don't think it's a big deal. There was no way you could've known it would bother him so much.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wait why did you laser the screen tho that would be annoying, wouldnt it?
Because the screen was blank, the sound hadn't started yet, and the lights not yet dimmed. During credits once too as people were leaving, circled special thanks. It was just something to do

·
Registered
752 Posts
Observational wise to other people I may not look like it bothered me, but inside I'm cursing that person within every inch of plausible damnation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts