Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you react? Do you become a whole different person when you stand up for what you believe in? Do you feel guilty if you happen to hurt anyone elses feelings afterward?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am usually laid back and I can listen and try to understand all different viewpoints when it comes to a value; I could even be converted if someone convinces me in a thorough logical argument and I find it fair... But, some of my value will never waver; They are there for a reason. If someone challenges me (especially aggressively), they will regret who they're messing with.

I don't back down.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I don't usually get aggressive if my values are threatened. I tend to 'live and let live'. I won't change my values but I'll listen to what the other person has to say and try to understand their point of view.

I'd say the only time I will aggressively defend my values is if it has to do with hurting children or animals. Something takes over and I will rip the person to shreds....and not feel a tinge of guilt.

·
Registered
375 Posts
People who push one of my important values too far tend to be a little wide-eyed with surprise at the assertive individual who confronts them. Or if someone misrepresents something I consider cherished or sacred, even if its in a large group, I find myself surprised at how I will speak up with strongly vocal defense. It's as if I completely forget about embarrassing myself or igniting people's negative thoughts about me. If something sacred is trampled, I don't take it lightly, though I will be fair, and consider the appropriate level of response...because that's also something I value. Overreacting isn't on my list of favorite things.

To clarify, I'm not speaking of the minor values. I pick my battles carefully.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
If I'm reaching out to them and they attack my values, I withdraw, close off. Defend. If they are attacking my values on the face-value and impression, they never had the ability to do so in the first place; just like an electric door knob. If it's a friend..I thoroughly confront them about whatever is being misunderstood that they tread on my values, especially when I'm not emotionally present at the time.

I do feel guilty if I hurt someones' feelings in the process. Though I'm not even completely aware of my emotions when I'm around others in extroverted environments.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
... happens pretty much constantly with me.

offline, i'm dreadfully quiet. so i just simmer.

online, i'm less quiet. but i'm inclined to rant less than i was in the past. so normally i just simmer.

... world used to be such an easier thing when i was younger, when i had so terribly amorphous views. : /

anyway. you get kind of used to it...

(edit) oh, yeah... when i *have* started to say stuff in response, i usually get rather heated up and make good long speeches. then, after i'm finally done, i simmer down and get dreadfully nervous at whatever the response might be : / i typically wish that i'd just shut up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
How do you react? Do you become a whole different person when you stand up for what you believe in? Do you feel guilty if you happen to hurt anyone elses feelings afterward?
I become furious, but I never lose my mind... only to the people who loves me, isn't that odd? anyways... I stand up for what I believe in with manner I'd say, but no I don't feel guilty if I have hurt anyones feelings afterwards, because I would never do that, but I wouldn't give a shit if they are sad/mad if my values aren't like theirs..

But I don't want to talk about my values regarding personal stuff, I have learned to be as silent as a clam, because NO-ONE is like me in this stinky environment I am in at the moment!! CANT WAIT to leave!!

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
i'm more of a live and let live type myself so generally i won't say anything...but i might avoid talking to you for a while...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Nothing, I'd perhaps say something back as a quick reply to end the conversation. Afterwards, I would try to assume why and how his/her thoughts developed to say that comment, then I would move on after telling someone and seeing if their reaction is similar to what mine was.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
My values are subjective so if my values were challenged I would listen as to why the other person disagrees and either change mine or absorb their values into my own so I might further develop my uber values bwahaha!
^^This.

Plus, it doesn't make sense to be violent or close-minded. So I don't think I would be that way, it only hurts yourself. I generally listen to the other side as much as I can. If they aren't reasonable or open-hearted, I may be insulted but I'll probably be more sad for them than anything else. I might get kind of frustrated too.

·
Registered
752 Posts
What I do depends on who's threatening my values. If it's a friend, chances are I will say something cold and end the conversation. If it's a stranger, then there's a good chance I will let it pass by...that or make some faces or some kind of cue that you're pissing me off. I wouldn't expect common people to understand me, and considering they're strangers and haven't known me for long. Family? Hohoho. I will say something I know for a fact will hurt them emotionally. That's only if they decide to threaten me for no reason whatsoever. If they had a reason, I'll probably just ride it out. People can just say things purely out of emotion after all, myself included.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When someone goes against the values I hold for environmental conservation, I usually keep quiet or joke along but I'm fuming inside. Then I go home and blog it all out furiously, and then people back away.

Like, I can't stand it when people don't give a hoot about the environment and recycling paper / reducing the usage of Styrofoam stuff. I could go on and on and on about the environment. When people want to infuriate me they crush a piece of paper in my face.

When it's about values like integrity and compassion, I just hold it in and... I don't know how to describe this... my heart goes cold, and I'll never forget that little thing, although I don't hold them against it - we're all brought up differently. It's just something at the back of my mind everytime I talk to that person I guess, and although I won't hold them against it, I'll know when to be wary.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts