Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a no-strings-attached set up with a friend I've grown up with and it's starting to develop into more. Thing is we're very similar, and today I found out that he's also an ENFP!

How would this relationship work? Does anybody have first hand experience or know someone who has? Is this a good match or is it gonna take a lot of work?

Also worth mentioning that we're both students so the majority of the time we're long distance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Generally I think an ENFP and ENFP works, but as with any relationship MBTI isn't the only factor at play. Any relationship can work, and even the MBTI types that supposedly work perfect together may not always work. If you really feel something with this friend, I would suggest to just see where it goes and not worry too much about your types.

With you both being ENFP I would guess you would have tons to talk about, you would both be adaptable to change and there's plenty other positive characteristics which can work together. But there may be some struggles such as both of you avoiding conflict, so some things may go unspoken.

Being a student myself and with my relationship being long distance sometimes, it can be a stressful but it does make the time together even more special. As long as you can balance it with work and other commitments it should be fine.

I've linked below a more thorough explanation of how the functions may interact both positively and negatively.
https://www.personality-central.com/ENFP-ENFP.html

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Too much ego, too little dead air.

In all seriousness, though, I think most type-similar relationships struggle because the interpersonal complementarity is lacking. Most relationships that flourish do so because the participants provide one another with something critical they're each missing. When both parties are of like temperament, there simply isn't the same opportunity for each to provide something unique. There's too much overlap on strength and too many blind spots on weaknesses.

That said, I think NF-NF relationships can just explode in the most incredible way in the beginning. There's so much shared passion to know and inhabit the other that it can be a kinship of souls beyond any previous experience. But volatility is also usually high. Passion is merely the exhaust of powerful psychic drive, the same type of drive that can manifest as hatred or vindictiveness under other circumstances. Age and its attendant maturity is always of great benefit to such relationships. I especially think this is true of relationships between abstract types, as we are not as quick to adapt to the harder necessities of life as our concrete-minded SP and SJ brethren.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts