Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for those ENFPs, like myself, that find ourselves dominated by our Extroverted Intuition or "N.e." function too much.

I'm having a chat with a newer friend of mine as we speak, an ENFP not of these boards. Just explained the N.e./F.i. paradox, and we're getting pretty deep discussing how a life ignoring that very emotional F.i. side of the ENFP (especially when you're a heterosexual male looking for dates) and in high school, could lead to bad consequences.

I too have a strong N.e. and have neglected the F.i. side of me I treasure too much. This thread is about me wanting you to share what actions you take to reconnect with your more emotional and sensitive side, and perhaps I can pass some of these recommendations onto my friend later. :)

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
I too have a strong N.e. and have neglected the F.i. side of me I treasure too much. This thread is about me wanting you to share what actions you take to reconnect with your more emotional and sensitive side, and perhaps I can pass some of these recommendations onto my friend later. :)
I can kinda relate to this a little...

I spent a large part of my early 20s just living a total Ne-crazy lifestyle. I took it to the extremes.....it went WAY too far - it definitely wasn't healthy (although at times it was pretty fun)

In hindsight, I think I had issues with Fi development because of things that had affected me during my childhood. Emotional trauma and abuse forced me to neglect connecting with the real 'me' - my values .....how I filter the world......I think as a result of this I became slightly co-dependent and reached a point where I was unable to make ANY decisions for myself. I found it very difficult to settle on what my point of view/opinions where. I looked to others to give me these answers......but that didn't work; because I'm an ENFP....and my Fi was always there in the background somewhere, telling me to snap out of it...

I've had to deal with major Ne-Fi inner conflict issues. Only now am I really beginning to understand where and why things went wrong.
At some point I abandoned Fi altogether and started working on an Ne-Te level (yikes....scary) This also wasn't healthy (the two don't mix well when the Fi is ignored)

I'm not really sure if what I'm saying is actually helpful in any way, haha

To re-connect with my Fi ....I had to really do some serious introspection. In my case, this was hard. Really, REALLY, fucking hard and painful. I've had to re-open some old wounds that never quite healed properly.....and force myself to look at the blood.....remember the pain.....give my self the love and respect that I neglected in the past.....and 'accept' things...

This is still an ongoing process by the way.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I can kinda relate to this a little...

I spent a large part of my early 20s just living a total Ne-crazy lifestyle. I took it to the extremes.....it went WAY too far - it definitely wasn't healthy (although at times it was pretty fun)

In hindsight, I think I had issues with Fi development because of things that had affected me during my childhood. Emotional trauma and abuse forced me to neglect connecting with the real 'me' - my values .....how I filter the world......I think as a result of this I became slightly co-dependent and reached a point where I was unable to make ANY decisions for myself. I found it very difficult to settle on what my point of view/opinions where. I looked to others to give me these answers......but that didn't work; because I'm an ENFP....and my Fi was always there in the background somewhere, telling me to snap out of it...

I've had to deal with major Ne-Fi inner conflict issues. Only now am I really beginning to understand where and why things went wrong.
At some point I abandoned Fi altogether and started working on an Ne-Te level (yikes....scary) This also wasn't healthy (the two don't mix well when the Fi is ignored)

I'm not really sure if what I'm saying is actually helpful in any way, haha

To re-connect with my Fi ....I had to really do some serious introspection. In my case, this was hard. Really, REALLY, fucking hard and painful. I've had to re-open some old wounds that never quite healed properly.....and force myself to look at the blood.....remember the pain.....give my self the love and respect that I neglected in the past.....and 'accept' things...

This is still an ongoing process by the way.
I'm happy you have come through your difficult past and are finding your way...I know the introspection really hurts, but it is the best thing you can do for yourself. Keep at it, lovely lady :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Watching movies/reading books and introspection. I think it's easier to see values in real life when we see them in the exaggerated form (or form that allows us to be a little detached) that they usually take in art. And taking how good or bad I felt during experiences and finding ways of relating them to other people. And gratitude, just focusing/reflecting on what I appreciate helps for some reason.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't think I have ever went Ne crazy since I always thought emotions were such a beautiful thing, I'd say my Fi is pretty developed for my age (17yrs old). Maybe my enneagram type had an influence :p

Anyways. I go out a lot to take walks with my iPod on.. it's such a comforting feeling. At the end of the day, I would reflect on my feelings on a blog entry since my daily life is pretty draining... sometimes I would use art as an emotional outlet.
Also, those "wounds" you described, try letting them out. Talk to somebody? Or just write it down and express how you feel. Face those emotions, don't be scared.

There are many other ways I just can't think of at the moment ~_~

·
Registered
147 Posts
Helping other people - being able to connect with them on a deeper level and have discussions that cannot be had without a set of morals. These always remind me of how good I feel when I am sticking up for what I believe in, and help me reroute my life back on course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts