Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if I may be going through a Fi-Si loop;;
(Previously typed myself as an ISFJ for 3+ years because of how much I related to Introverted Sensing.)

What is your loop like, how do you know if you got Si? In what ways does it show itself to you?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
For me it's in the form of going back through past memories which had an emotional impact on me, which I tend to remember better or more clearly than otherwise. It's going back over bad memories, usually bad that is, and just playing them over and over again visually and feeling that same feeling you felt back then over and over. It's not really fun.

It's also like I'm in a state where my Ne is not functioning properly, so while it's still there my ideas and thoughts about the future are usually quite uncertain, sometimes even irrational, and sometimes based on my fears or a sense of not being able to accomplish anything instead of anything realistic. Basically I am not interacting with the world in terms of possibilities normally so my normal thought process is not really working.

I haven't been in this for quite some time, maybe even years, since it's just silly, and I think I've never really gotten it as bad as other people.

In terms of everyday Si stuff it's remembering facts and details and memories and also tuning into my physical body which is often something that I don't pay any attention to until it's necessary. For me it's slightly remote but just in reach in terms of whether I'm using it or not and on most days, good days, I think I can kind of tune in or out my Si to become stronger if I need it for something more physical or practical, but if I don't then I will just zone out and off into my thoughts and imaginings.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
For me it's like Adonnus described.

Something in the present triggers a feeling, and this feeling triggers a memory from my past that made me feel the same way, and this turns into a rabbit hole where I get lost in a chain of memories where in every single one of them I felt the same feeling or a similar one. And I keep reliving the same awful feelings over and over and over, and all the memories + the recent event that triggered everything are used by my brain as proof of what a terrible person I am.
The feelings are attached to descriptions/qualifications of myself as a person, so I will gather all this evidence (memories) that prove that I am useless, a waste of space, a disappointment to everyone who comes in contact with me, unintelligent, ugly... all the worst. And the reason it's so difficult to get out of it is because my memories are serving as evidence that all these negative beliefs are a "fact", because I have tangible proof for the negative claims.
So I'm trapped in a spiral of self-hate in the Fi-Si loop.

In normal day to day life, Si is about:
* my lovely routines that give me warmth and safety.
* matching my surroundings (home decor) and my clothes/style to match my Fi and make myself happy, feel cozy, safe and self-expressed.
* learning through my own experience, not theoretically. I need to experience something, and actually touch it, smell it, and live it. I don't learn from books or theories or abstractions.
* it gives me a gut feeling to prevent me from repeating a mistake, telling me "I've already been here, I see the red flags, don't go there".

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Loops suck. I don't avoid sadness, but it's an overindulgence of bad memories. You feel bad, then remember random times where you felt worse.

To get out of it you need to embrace your extroverted side. Go make new memories; good ones. Busy yourself with new experiences.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
My Si betrays me alot; I have difficulty discarding bad habits and difficulty acquiring good new habits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Excessive Si looks like not exploring new possibilities, navel gazing, and using the past almost solely as a reference point to inform my decisions; so often superstitious and being stuck in repetitive boring tasks.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
For me it's in the form of going back through past memories which had an emotional impact on me, which I tend to remember better or more clearly than otherwise. It's going back over bad memories, usually bad that is, and just playing them over and over again visually and feeling that same feeling you felt back then over and over. It's not really fun.

It's also like I'm in a state where my Ne is not functioning properly, so while it's still there my ideas and thoughts about the future are usually quite uncertain, sometimes even irrational, and sometimes based on my fears or a sense of not being able to accomplish anything instead of anything realistic. Basically I am not interacting with the world in terms of possibilities normally so my normal thought process is not really working.
This is exactly it for me. My broken Ne doesn't seem to take me anywhere positive or even anywhere new, but it remains in the past - replaying it over and over again (let's just feel this forever), and I feel very trapped.

Very well said, especially the not fun part.

What @entheos said about the GUT feeling to prevent a repeat mistake is also awesome, and maybe the only good thing I can think of for myself using Si. Lol. THANK YOU that we can learn from our mistakes because we can go back and feel that again (and know to avoid in the future).

Reactions: Adonnus

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I know I have Si when I eat food. I DO NOT like to experiment with food and I usually don't like to try new foods as I already know what I am craving to eat and I don't want to eat anything that is not that. My ISTP friend who has Se hates that about me but my Si just wants to experience the same old sensation it knows and loves already, and it will get angry if any sensation it experiences doesn't match up with what it already knows.

I also know I have Si whenever I have work to do that I've never done before I procrastinate by doing things I already like doing like video games or familiar experiences. Familiar experiences comfort me, rightfully so since Si is the INFP relief function.

I also know I have Si because music and songs will cause sensations inside me that will trigger strong personal feelings or remind me of sensations I've felt before. When I listen to some songs they literally feel like wind is blowing strong past my face, and some songs remind me of certain personal memories. Certain smells quickly remind me of personal memories and take me back to that moment.

I also know I have Si when I'm driving, I only know where I'm going because I recognize the landscape as somewhere I've been before, and sometimes some things look more like a road than a sidewalk and that has caused me to almost drive on the sidewalk more than once lol.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,636 Posts
Could an INFP on PerC be because of Si??

At least some of the time, I'd wager!

If you're in the loop, you've got to do something loopy to get out! Wonder. Be inspired. Create. Laugh. Enjoy something you haven't before. Be curious.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The Fi-Si loop happened to me for some years. Ouch! What a waste. The best way for me to use it is to create checklists and to verify my work. Then it's more useful.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I don’t relate strongly to introverted sensing. It’s a blind spot for me. I associate it with building impressions of what is consistent in reality, so you know how to navigate it. I have a poor sense of what is expected or standard, aka poor common sense. I get overwhelmed with lots of details too. I compare my poor Si to being plunged underwater and seeing and hearing everything kind of distorted and blurry. That’s how my recollection is, or my sense of reality. It has a haunting quality also. I’ll have paranoia over whether something really happened or not. I can relate to the “reel of shame” looping in the head also. Replaying everything that justifies why you’re hiding out from reality.

When I was younger, I think Si mentality may have made me more risk adverse, as far as stuff I was not familiar with or didn’t feel competent in (ie mostly social and athletic stuff). I liked novelty a lot otherwise, including new foods and experiences, and of course entertaining new ideas. This contrast created in me a sense that reality was very stagnant and limiting and unlikely to change, and stuff I didn’t easily navigate in the current state would feel oppressive. Stuff not changing was scary to me. Change didn’t scare me, but had hope in it. Some of this was because it felt easier to run away then learn the details and get good in an area of life, such as socializing or what to do with my body. I would always dream of moving somewhere new, where I could be whoever I wanted to be. I loved the idea of everything being new. I didn’t get sentimentally attached to objects, even then. But the status quo would depress me. I’d have this fear that I’d just be stuck in life. Routine and predictability were not comforts to me. This fear fed a melancholy attitude, a cynical outlook, “why even bother”. Of course it was dashed idealism.

I also used to like to relive things more. After an experience, I could go home and relive it via fantasy and sometimes it felt richer that way. I don’t do this anymore, but my real time experience feels richer now.

I also think my penchant for reading and learning a lot of info could be Si related. I have a voracious appetite to know everything about everything. But I feel like Si is about in-depth knowledge in a niche area so as to master it and standardize it so it’s predictable and more efficient, etc. It’s about subtlety, details, nuance. I’m more like: scrape the surface of everything, get a gist, and cross contextualise to see patterns and understand underlying principles, then create something NEW. I appreciate subtlety a lot more with age, especially in aesthetics. I used to like stuff with more immediate impact. Well I still do, but there needs to be refinement also. My ability to detect nuance is pretty high, given it’s something I care about. I love variety and can pick out flavors easily and tell when something is “off”, note slight differences in color, and generally appreciate the details, mainly in aesthetics.

I think I’ve integrated some of Si with age with more body awareness too. I work out and try to eat healthy. I’m not as detached from the physical. I have a better sense of what is generally expected or standard. I have some consistency too, although I still struggle with it.

Reactions: WickerDeer
1 - 11 of 11 Posts