Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When faced with highly emotional situations like situations involving affection how do you respond?? Could it be considered a trait attributed to Fi if a person shuts down in a situation that generally yields a strong emotional response? Or do you think this would generally be something more associated with Ti?
I'm wondering because I used to feel a strong aversion to affection and intimacy as a child/teenager and now as an adult I completely withdraw to the point where my response seems snide or if the method used to convey affection to me evokes an overwhelming sense of emotion I'm called a robot because of my lack of response. Sometimes I don't feel anything. Recently, A friend of mine who I'd developed strong feelings for admitted he loved me and I didn't really have any response at all even though I feel the same way. I was just kind of over whelmed with emotion to the point where I just kind of shut down.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,553 Posts
I dislike it when people talk about emotions expecting an answer from me. To be honest, I dislike to talk about emotions in general (especially my emotions). But here is the thing: it's not because I'm a "cold, heartless robot". As you said, it's because most of the time emotions are too overwhelming and confusing to deal with.

When I'm feeling this way, I usually need some time alone to analyze what's going on with me. Why I wasn't able to express myself? What exactly I was afraid of or why those emotions suddenly came up with such intensity?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I push emotion to the back of my mind. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes important information with it. lol. For example, I am very nervous about an upcoming minor surgery, and when I was called with the info for the pre-Op appt, I self-protectively wrote the appt down wrong.

When my DH told me he loved me for the very first time, I shut down, too. It's how an INTJ deals with emotions, even if they've logically decided they're in love too. The F coming at you can feel like 'danger' so you freeze, and sometimes even run away or start a fight. lol.

·
Jaffa Master
7,575 Posts
I don't understand the question. How do we respond when someone else is affectionate? Well, that would depend on the who/what/when/where/why/how.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I tend not to enjoy outbursts of emotions from other people unless I know them well. I would say the situation is also a factor, and the person I am dealing with.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I can relate to the emotional numbness when overwhelmed. It commonly happens to me when a feeling expressed or experienced is overwhelming, I find that I feel nothing at all. I just got nothing. I either discard it, or if it's important to me, I process it - very slowly.

·
Registered
859 Posts
It's not a matter of feeling no emotion or feeling numb. It's overwhelming because it's a huge amount of information to process. My mind immediately goes to all the possibilities, and I'm suddenly overwhelmed. But that's the type of situation that almost demands and immediate and emphatic response. So my natural reaction is pretty much guaranteed to be wrong. Which is another reason to feel stressed and overwhelmed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.