Personality Cafe banner

How do you respond to stress?

1K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  rajAs 
#1 ·
How do you respond to stress? What is your emotional response to challenging situations? How do you handle stress and pressure?

#2 ·
Whenever I am in a stressful situation, I feel vulnerable and extremely unsafe. Somehow, it always associates with the feeling of betraying, letting down people I am close to and putting them in danger - I feel unreliable and, consequently, wicked. To avoid stress, I push myself to work harder and with more focused intensity not to disappoint people I care about. I have to make sure that people around me are pleased and comfortable - it does make me feel less miserable. Otherwise, I feel unworthy, inconsiderate and hollow.

#3 ·
Yoga and singing jazz music/musicals and kungfu/boxing

Reactions: cosmia
#4 ·
Whenever I get stressed, I get very irritable; so, I try to calm down, take a few deep breaths and do something to relax me: listen to music, watch TV or start exercising. Either one of those 3 usually helps me clear out my head and order my thoughts about how to handle the situation. So, I come up with the solution and... problem solved.

#6 ·
How do you respond to stress?
Depending on the situation, there are more than a few things I may do. I may have moments of anger and just want to scream like I had on Saturday afternoon when I was late for an appointment. I may try to think my way through to a new strategy that will work with minimal damage yet has a good chance of working. I tend to go deep into strategy and tactics initially.

What is your emotional response to challenging situations?
Ow, a bit of anger, some sadness possibly and sometimes a little disassociation just to make things more interesting. Sometimes I may rise to the challenge as sometimes what others see as a challenge, isn't quite that way to me. At other times, what others may not see as a challenge can be a great challenge for me.

As an example, a week ago my car got hit while I was driving by a pick-up truck. I collected the other driver's phone number as my car now has a new ding that the truck wasn't changed at all. I continued on getting my pizza and someone in the pizza place asked me, "Are you OK?" where the emphasis was on the OK as in she either saw or heard what happened, yet this isn't a stressful situation for me. To call up someone I know on a weekend afternoon to see how life is going, now that is a challenging situation for me.

How do you handle stress and pressure?
Depending on where it is coming and how much is being applied, sometimes well and sometimes not so well. In battling anxiety and depression for the last few years I have built up quite a toolbox for managing various mental health issues that has been quite useful at times.

#9 ·
You again?

#10 ·
I either become an excessive recluse or an extreme extrovert. Sometimes both, and I'll be talking to you nonstop one second and then I'll want to yell at you to go away....good thing I don't get stressed easily..

#11 ·
Stop, take a break, reorganize myself. Develop a plan, apply plan, move forward.

#14 ·
Most of the time I respond to stress with anger that often gives me the drive to overcome the pressure being put on me. If I remain stressed for too long though, I'll either shut down or lose my temper and fly into a rage.

When it comes to dealing with stress and pressure, I usually just try to chill the fuck out, watch TV, surf the internet, play some video games; maybe smoke some weed, drink some beers, hit up my friends and hang out. Sometimes I'll exercise or do some boxing.

#15 ·
I don't tend to show an emotional reaction to others regarding stress, I may be quieter and less friendly, generally because I'm focused and motivated and don't want distractions.

Once you move past the stress that pushes adrenaline to an epic level that motivates superman level of action and productivity to 'too much stress to cope' it causes sleep mode to kick in, not literal sleep, just zoning out of life, operating on an automatic system that requires no conscious effort or thought, it's do without think and try to limit the "doing" to pleasant and enjoyable things.

#16 ·
I can handle stress pretty well when it's about something not particularly invasive about my space.

But when I have not enough time to recap and restore my stability, I simply explode and my mouth (sadly even my body, I can be quite violent) is no longer under my control. Then I completely shut up and have no words for anybody. Scorched earth all around me.

My reaction to challenging situations is pretty different, instead. Usually I feel even excited and curious about this kind of situations, especially in my job when I have to face emergencies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.