Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people visualize music or sensations, I had that discussion here awhile ago, so I'd love to hear how different people perceive things.

Do you visualize music? If so, how?

How about theories or people? Do these things appear in your mind differently from how they appear in real life?

I'm just curious. I do this sort of thing often which makes it difficult to explain things to friends. I'll try to explain a feeling or my opinion on something and I struggle because I'd never translated it into words; rather, it had only ever existed as an image or a feeling.

For example, a friend of mine had asked me if I was alright as I'd been acting strange during the past week. I had visualized how I'd been feeling during that week and it was a chunky green straight line that sometimes faltered a little. Above it was a slightly transparent pale blue thin line that jumped up and down in spikes.
Basically, the green line was how I was deeply feeling(Indifference) and the blue one was how I appeared to feel. I may have felt really excited, or frustrated at points but they never really progressed to the green line.

As for other examples, if I ever imagine I'm in space (for whatever reason, usualy when working through astro physics questions) I picture it as if it were filled with a haze that was so transparent that the only reason you see the sky as black is because there's so much of it that it appears opaque in the distance. It isn't just a flat black though, it's like gasoliene, except it falters from clear to transparent black.
It feels like a cold, empty vacuum though.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
@Vanderlyle

Do you visualize music? If so, how?: YES! I can sometimes picture a scene like in "Windows music player" where there's a moving, multi-colored line that jumps, moves and changes color with the beat. But most of the time, it's easier for me to make a music video type of scene where I'm picturing the singer/artist doing something that relates to how the song makes me feel.

How about theories or people? Do these things appear in your mind differently from how they appear in real life?: Not that I can recall. I usually try to keep the objectives of a theory or personal relationships in mind and break them down to basics, and rebuild them up to Follow the cookie crumbs" of their connectivity, so to speak; because I know I'll never understand them any other way.

I'm just curious. I do this sort of thing often which makes it difficult to explain things to friends. I'll try to explain a feeling or my opinion on something and I struggle because I'd never translated it into words; rather, it had only ever existed as an image or a feeling. This can happen to me sometimes (struggling to find right words).

For example, a friend of mine had asked me if I was alright as I'd been acting strange during the past week. I had visualized how I'd been feeling during that week and it was a chunky green straight line that sometimes faltered a little. Above it was a slightly transparent pale blue thin line that jumped up and down in spikes. If this had happened to me, I'd review my week in a sequence of pictures "What did I do- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday......" Imagining myself at work, driving, etc. I'd quickly try and remember if anything significant happened, and then think about the correlating emotion that might have happened.

As for other examples, if I ever imagine I'm in space (for whatever reason, usualy when working through astro physics questions) I picture it as if it were filled with a haze that was so transparent that the only reason you see the sky as black is because there's so much of it that it appears opaque in the distance. It isn't just a flat black though, it's like gasoliene, except it falters from clear to transparent black.
It feels like a cold, empty vacuum though.
I know you're not talking about this, but I do this exact.same.thing when I tried to solve algebra questions in school. The numbers and objective would appear, but the connectivity as to how I would solve the problem would just appear as a big ball of haze over it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Whoa now, we're getting deep here...

The only one I can really answer is "how do I visualize music?". I either imagine the band playing live, me performing it, or if the song has a story behind it, I can make a music video in my head. I'd be great at filmmaking if I could get someone else to do the work for me...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts